Define the polarization in TE/TM modes

In summary, the pictures depict that for TE mode the direction of electric field is the same as the direction of the magnetic field, while for TM mode the direction of electric field is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field.
Dimani4
Hello people,

I'm a little bit confused about how to define the polarization direction for TM/TE mode.
Take a look at the TE mode picture I found in some place.
TE polarization.jpg

Picture1

The Cartesian system of coordinate (XYZ) here is chosen by the right hand rule.
rhr.jpg

Picture2

But how we chose the direction of magnetic field (H) and electric field (E)? If I chose it according the right hand coordinate the direction of electric field E (TE- E field perpendicular to the incidence plane i.e. in the Y direction)should be out of the plate and not into the plate (as described here in the Picture1) and the direction of the magnetic field should be exactly the opposite to the one that signed in Picture1.

Here the TM case.

TM polarization.jpg

Picture3

Here the situation for the E field is right (if we choose the right hand rule) but the H field again should be out of the plane and not into the plane as depicted in Picture3. And why for TE (magnetic field Hi) and TM (electric filed Ei) have the opposite directions?
Here I found another picture (Picture4) where for the TE (magnetic field B) and electric field E for TM have the same directions.
TE TM polarization.jpg

Picture 4

Please help to understand this confusion.

Thank you.

Attachments

• TE polarization.jpg
    TE polarization.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 6,645
  • TE polarization.jpg
    TE polarization.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 7,134
  • rhr.jpg
    rhr.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,382
  • TM polarization.jpg
    TM polarization.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 6,730
  • TE TM polarization.jpg
    TE TM polarization.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 6,569
Science news on Phys.org
Sorry for erratum, but for TM case the right hand rule works as it depicted in the Picture3. If we assume the magnetic field enters to incidence plane (X) then the electric field E should be directed as it shown in Picture3. But again the question remains for the TE case (Picture1). If we choose electric field enters to the incidence plane like (X) then the magnetic field should be directed exactly as electric field for the TM case and not as described in Picture1. Isn't it?

Thank you.

Dimani4 said:
Sorry for erratum, but for TM case the right hand rule works as it depicted in the Picture3. If we assume the magnetic field enters to incidence plane (X) then the electric field E should be directed as it shown in Picture3. But again the question remains for the TE case (Picture1). If we choose electric field enters to the incidence plane like (X) then the magnetic field should be directed exactly as electric field for the TM case and not as described in Picture1. Isn't it?

Thank you.
I think I got my mistake.
When I define the coordinates system according right hand rule to find the exact directions of the Electric and Magnetic field I should use again the right hand rule to find out the direction of the magnetic field according the formula (H=βi*Ei/ωμ) where β is the direction of propagation of our wave in the incident plane (as depicted for instance in Picture1). Then, to find out the direction of magnetic field which presenting in Picture1 we should just do cross product between the vector of the electric field Ei which as we supposed enters the incident plane (X) and direction of propagating wave. And if you do this you get the right result of the direction of the magnetic field as depicted in Picture1.
About the Picture3 (TM) the conclusions are the same. If we suppose that the magnetic field enters the incident plane the direction of electric field should be as depicted in Picture3 (if you do cross product between the β and the electric field you get the direction of the magnetic field vector should enter into the incident field).

After these conclusions I guess that the directions depicted in the Pictures4 are not right. The right directions depicted on Picture1 and Picture3.

Thank you.

EM waves propagate in the direction corresponding to E cross H. Hold the fingers of your right hand straight along E. Curl your fingers to align with H. The direction of your thumb will be the direction of propagation (k direction).

bstpeter said:
EM waves propagate in the direction corresponding to E cross H. Hold the fingers of your right hand straight along E. Curl your fingers to align with H. The direction of your thumb will be the direction of propagation (k direction).
Welcome to PF.

This thread that you are replying to is 5 years old, but your reply is okay. :smile:

1. What is polarization in TE/TM modes?

Polarization in TE/TM modes refers to the direction and orientation of the electric field in a wave propagating through a medium. In TE (Transverse Electric) mode, the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while in TM (Transverse Magnetic) mode, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. How is polarization in TE/TM modes different from other types of polarization?

TE/TM polarization is different from other types of polarization, such as linear, circular, or elliptical polarization, because it specifically refers to the orientation of the electric field in relation to the direction of propagation. Other types of polarization refer to the shape or path of the electric or magnetic fields.

3. What factors affect the polarization in TE/TM modes?

The polarization in TE/TM modes can be affected by the geometry and material properties of the medium, as well as the frequency and angle of incidence of the wave. It can also be influenced by external sources, such as magnetic fields.

4. Why is polarization in TE/TM modes important in electromagnetic waves?

Polarization in TE/TM modes is important because it affects how the wave propagates through a medium and how it interacts with other objects. It can also be used to control the direction and intensity of the electric field, which is crucial in applications such as wireless communication, optical devices, and imaging techniques.

5. Can polarization in TE/TM modes be changed or manipulated?

Yes, polarization in TE/TM modes can be changed or manipulated by using polarizers, which are devices that filter out certain orientations of the electric or magnetic field. This can be useful in controlling the properties of electromagnetic waves for various applications.