Defining Variables for Data Analysis in a Lab Experiment

In summary, the speaker is having trouble with data analysis in a lab experiment to find the drift velocity and diffusion coefficient of electrons. They measured time differences between signals from alpha particles and their professor mentioned a formula for the full width at half maximum that matches the data. However, the speaker is unsure how to go from the general equation for ##\sigma## to the one mentioned by the professor in order to find the diffusion coefficient. They are seeking help and tips.
CptXray

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a problem with my data analysis from my lab. My goal is to find drift velocity of the electron and it's diffusion coefficient. The experiment looked like this: I've measured the time difference between signals on two gaseous detectors. The source of the signal were ##\alpha## particles from radioactive element inside the measurement system. Alpha particles ionize the gas inside chamber and then electrons are accelerated in a constant potential etc. Everything went fine until professor said that full width at half maximum should be ##\sigma = A \cdot t^{3/2} + \sigma_{0}## and it does match my data:
dyfuzjaforum.png

Homework Equations

The problem is that in general ##\sigma = \sqrt{2Dt}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know to go form ##\sqrt{2Dt}## to ##A\cdot t^{3/2} + \sigma_{0}##, because the last thing to do is finding diffusion coefficient. I'd appreciate any help and tips.

Attachments

• dyfuzjaforum.png
    dyfuzjaforum.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
CptXray said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a problem with my data analysis from my lab. My goal is to find drift velocity of the electron and it's diffusion coefficient. The experiment looked like this: I've measured the time difference between signals on two gaseous detectors. The source of the signal were ##\alpha## particles from radioactive element inside the measurement system. Alpha particles ionize the gas inside chamber and then electrons are accelerated in a constant potential etc. Everything went fine until professor said that full width at half maximum should be ##\sigma = A \cdot t^{3/2} + \sigma_{0}## and it does match my data:View attachment 239773

Homework Equations

The problem is that in general ##\sigma = \sqrt{2Dt}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know to go form ##\sqrt{2Dt}## to ##A\cdot t^{3/2} + \sigma_{0}##, because the last thing to do is finding diffusion coefficient. I'd appreciate any help and tips.
Please define all your variables.

1. What is a diffusion coefficient?

A diffusion coefficient is a measure of how quickly particles move through a medium, such as a liquid or gas. It is a constant that represents the rate at which a substance spreads from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

2. How is the diffusion coefficient measured in a lab?

The diffusion coefficient can be measured in a lab using a variety of techniques, such as spectrophotometry or microscopy. These methods involve tracking the movement of particles over time and using mathematical equations to calculate the diffusion coefficient.

3. What factors can affect the diffusion coefficient?

The diffusion coefficient can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration, and molecular weight of the particles. Higher temperatures and lower concentrations tend to increase the diffusion coefficient, while larger molecules have a lower diffusion coefficient.

4. What is the significance of the diffusion coefficient in scientific research?

The diffusion coefficient is an important parameter in many scientific fields, including chemistry, biology, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the movement of particles in various systems, which can have implications for drug delivery, chemical reactions, and many other processes.

5. How can the diffusion coefficient be applied in real-world situations?

The diffusion coefficient has numerous applications in real-world situations, such as in drug development and delivery, environmental studies, and industrial processes. It can be used to optimize conditions for efficient diffusion, as well as to design and improve products and processes.