Definition of onto function

In summary: So it seems that points 1, 2, and 8 are correct, as they all describe the property of the range being equal to the codomain. And point 6 is incorrect, as it only talks about covering some elements in B, rather than all of them. Is that correct?In summary, the following statements are equivalent to saying that a function f:A→B is onto: - f(A) = B - In the arrow diagram representing f, every point in B has an arrow pointing at it - ∀y∈B ∃x∈A such that f(x)=y - Every element of B is the image of some element in A
lemonthree
Which of the following statements is equivalent to saying that a function f:A→B is onto? There are 8 options, select all that are correct.
xf(A)=B
xIn the arrow diagram representing f, every point in B has an arrow pointing at it.
x∀y∈B ∃x∈A such that f(x)=y
xf−1(B)=A
xEvery element of B is the image of some element in A
∀x∈A ∃y∈B such that f(x)=y
Every element of A has a corresponding image in B
xEvery element of B has at least one preimage.

I have marked with an "x" those that I believe are correct. However, I am not entirely sure.
Let me explain my selection.
1. f(A) = B is true, because B is the whole set B where A is mapped to B, so it is onto? (range = codomain)
2. Valid, because it shows that the range = codomain.
3. Similar to point 2, it shows that range = codomain.
4. In this case, it is similar to 1? It seems to say that the whole set of B can be mapped back to A.
5. Yes, every element of B (codomain) is the image of some x in A.
6. Not true for onto function, because it does not cover all of B, only some in B.
7. Not true for onto function, because it does not talk about covering all options in B.
8. True because every element of B is covered.

Please point out if I have made any mistakes in my explanation, thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The definition of "function from A to B", whether "onto" or not, requires that
"∀x∈A ∃y∈B such that f(x)=y".

Last edited:
Indeed, I agree with you. However, I did not select it because the question asks "Which of the following statements is equivalent to saying that a function f:A→B is onto?". So I'm guessing that a normal function won't make the cut?

Regarding point 4, $f^{-1}(B) = \{x \in A \mid f(x)\in B\}$. Since B is the co-domain, this is true for any function $f:A\to B$.

f(A)=B
xIn the arrow diagram representing f, every point in B has an arrow pointing at it.
x∀y∈B ∃x∈A such that f(x)=y
f−1(B)=A
xEvery element of B is the image of some element in A
∀x∈A ∃y∈B such that f(x)=y
Every element of A has a corresponding image in B
xEvery element of B has at least one preimage.

Thank you very much @castor28 for pointing that out. Following that logic, I should also not select f(A)=B because B is the codomain (and it doesn't mention that the range = codomain?)

So I guess there are only 4 sentences that describe an onto function here

Point 1 was correct.

$f(A)$ is the range, $B$ is the co-domain. $f$ is onto if the range equals the co-domain, i.e., if $f(A) = B$.

castor28 said:
Point 1 was correct.

$f(A)$ is the range, $B$ is the co-domain. $f$ is onto if the range equals the co-domain, i.e., if $f(A) = B$.

I see, thank you for your explanation.

What is an onto function?

An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a function in which every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. In other words, every output has at least one corresponding input.

What is the difference between an onto function and a one-to-one function?

The main difference between an onto function and a one-to-one function, also known as an injective function, is that an onto function does not have any elements in the range that are not mapped to by at least one element in the domain, while a one-to-one function does not have any elements in the range that are mapped to by more than one element in the domain.

How do you determine if a function is onto?

To determine if a function is onto, you can check if every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. This can be done by graphing the function and seeing if every point on the y-axis has at least one point on the x-axis that maps to it. Alternatively, you can use the horizontal line test, where you draw horizontal lines across the graph and see if they intersect the function at more than one point.

What is the notation used to represent an onto function?

The notation used to represent an onto function is f: A → B, where A is the domain and B is the range. This notation can also be written as f: A ↦ B, where the arrow points from the domain to the range.

Can a function be both onto and one-to-one?

Yes, a function can be both onto and one-to-one. This type of function is called a bijection, and it means that every element in the range is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain, and every element in the domain has exactly one corresponding element in the range.