Deformation Experiment: Learn about Experiment Results & Processes

In summary, the thin pieces of aluminium were stretched and then put into an oven or furnace for a bit more than 60 minutes. The result was something like what you can see in the picture.
disclaimer
Hi all;

Hope it's the right place to post this, so

I am missing a report from the classes I was absent from and I can't find help anywhere... Here's the result of the experiment:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/5452/plasticdeformationjx8.jpg

These are thin pieces of aluminium that had been previously stretched to reach certain lengths (from shortest to longest). Basically this is all I know. I also know that they were put into an oven or furnace for some time (a bit more than 60 minutes), then they were washed in some liquid (chemical substance?), and the result was something like what you can see in the picture. The more stretched a sample was, the smaller grains we can see.

So, could someone name the processes that should take place while carrying out such an experiment? Or maybe someone could post an extensive description of a similar experiment? Help will be greatly appreciated. I'm in a tight corner now, so I am clutching at a straw. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the Al samples were etched to show up the grain boundaries.

Drawing and forging at around room temperature, i.e. cold working, increases the dislocation density in a material.

Heating in a furnace will anneal the material such that the dilocations will move and cancel, and atoms will pop back into lattice positions. In some cases, dislocation networks will form new grain boundaries in a process known as recrystallization.

Another aspect of annealing is the promotion of grain growth in which smaller grains grow to larger grains, which depends on the alloy composition, time and temperature.

Is it possible that region with small grains was not in the furnace?

Key-to-metals is a good site for references on metallurgical topics.

Heat Treatable Aluminum Alloys
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article39.htm

Effect of Aging on Formability of Aluminum Alloys
http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article144.htm

Hi there,

It sounds like you were part of a deformation experiment, where thin pieces of aluminium were stretched and then subjected to heat and a chemical substance. From the results shown in the image, it looks like the aluminium underwent plastic deformation, where the grains of the metal were rearranged due to the stretching and heating process.

In this type of experiment, the main process that is happening is called "annealing." Annealing is a heat treatment process where a material (in this case, the aluminium) is heated to a specific temperature and then allowed to cool slowly. This process helps to soften the material and make it more malleable, which is why the aluminium was able to be stretched.

The chemical substance that was used is likely a solution of some sort, which is used to wash the aluminium after it has been heated. This solution is called an "etchant" and it helps to reveal the grain structure of the metal. In your experiment, the more stretched samples have smaller grains because the stretching process caused the grains to break apart and become smaller.

Overall, the purpose of this experiment was likely to study the effects of plastic deformation on the grain structure of aluminium. It's a common experiment in materials science and engineering, and it can help us understand how materials behave under different conditions.

I hope this helps and good luck with your report! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Related to Deformation Experiment: Learn about Experiment Results & Processes

What is a deformation experiment?

A deformation experiment is a scientific test or study that aims to understand how different materials respond to applied forces and deformations. It involves subjecting a material to controlled amounts of stress or strain and observing its resulting behavior.

Why are deformation experiments important?

Deformation experiments provide valuable insights into the mechanical properties and behavior of materials, which are crucial for various industries, such as engineering, construction, and materials science. They help researchers and engineers design and develop more efficient and durable materials.

What are the common methods used in deformation experiments?

The most common methods used in deformation experiments include tension, compression, bending, and torsion tests. In these methods, a force is applied to a material in a specific direction, and its deformation is measured and recorded.

How are results from deformation experiments analyzed?

The results from deformation experiments are analyzed using mathematical equations and graphical representations, such as stress-strain curves. These analyses provide information about a material's strength, stiffness, and ductility, among other properties.

What are the potential sources of error in deformation experiments?

The potential sources of error in deformation experiments include variations in sample preparation, environmental conditions, and experimental setup, as well as human error in data collection and analysis. These sources of error should be carefully controlled and minimized to ensure accurate and reliable results.