Degenerate parametric amplifier: quadratures

In summary: Using these expressions, we can calculate the expectation value of ##a^\dagger a## as:$$\langle a^\dagger a \rangle = \langle \Psi_I (t) | a_I^\dagger a_I | \Psi_I (t) \rangle = \langle a_I^\dagger (0) a_I (0) e^{-i \omega t} e^{i \omega t} \rangle = \langle a_I^\dagger (0) a_I (0) \rangle$$Therefore, we can write the uncertainty principle as:$$(\Delta a)^2 (\Delta a^\dagger)^2 \geq 1 - \frac{1}{2} \langle
CharlieCW

Homework Statement

The degenerate parametric amplifier is described by the Hamiltonian:

$$H=\hbar \omega a^\dagger a-i\hbar \chi /2 (e^{(2i\omega t)}a^2-e^{(-2i\omega t)}(a^\dagger)^2)$$

Where ##a## and ##a^\dagger## as just the operators of creation and anhiquilation and ##\chi## is just a real constant.

(a) Find the equations of motion in the interaction (Dirac) picture for ##a## and ##a^\dagger## and solve them.

(b) If we define the quadratures as:

$$X_1=a+a^\dagger \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ; \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ X_2=a-a^\dagger$$

Show that the quadratic fluctuations (uncertainties) of these quadratures satisfy the equations:

$$(\Delta X_i)^2(t)=e^{2\chi t}(\Delta X_i)^2(0)$$

Homework Equations

$$\frac{A_I (t)}{dt}=\frac{i}{h}[A_I,H_0]$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}|\Psi_I (t)\rangle=H_1|\Psi_I (t)|$$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) This one is pretty straight forward, as we can easily separate:

$$H=\underbrace{\hbar \omega a^\dagger a}_{H_0}+\underbrace{i\hbar \chi /2 (e^{(2i\omega t)}a^2-e^{(-2i\omega t)}(a^\dagger)^2)}_{H_1}$$

Where ##H_0## is just the hamiltonian for the harmonic oscillator (with known solution) and ##H_1## is just a perturbation. This allows to find the equations of motion for ##a## and ##a^\dagger## in the interaction picture:

$$\frac{a_I (t)}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar}[a_I,H_0]=i\omega a_I \ \ \rightarrow \ \ \ \ a_I(t)=a_I(0)e^{i\omega t}$$

$$\frac{a^{\dagger}_I (t)}{dt}=\frac{i}{\hbar}[a^{\dagger}_I,H_0]=-i\omega a^{\dagger}_I \ \ \ \rightarrow \ \ \ \ a^{\dagger}_I(t)=a_I^{\dagger} (0)e^{-i\omega t}$$

b) I'm stuck here as I'm not sure how to get the form of ##(\Delta X_i)^2 (t)## shown above. I tried getting the equations for the expectation values of ##a^2## and ##(a^\dagger)^2##:

$$(a^2)(t)=(a^2)(0)e^{2i\omega t}$$
$$((a^\dagger)^2)(t)=((a^\dagger)^2)(0)e^{-2i\omega t}$$

But they don't give me the form specified above. Moreover, I don't know how to get the exponential factor, as it only appears in the perturbed hamiltonian ##H_1##.

PD: I haven't studied time-dependent perturbation theory so I'm not sure if it's necessary to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

To solve part (b), we can use the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that for any two operators ##A## and ##B##, the uncertainty in their measurements is given by:

$$(\Delta A)^2 (\Delta B)^2 \geq \frac{1}{4} \langle [A,B]^2 \rangle$$

In this case, we can use the operators ##X_1=a+a^\dagger## and ##X_2=a-a^\dagger##, and apply the uncertainty principle to them. Note that these operators are Hermitian, so their expectation values are real.

Using the commutation relations, we can calculate:

$$[X_1,X_2]=2[a,a^\dagger]=2$$

Therefore, the uncertainty principle gives:

$$(\Delta X_1)^2 (\Delta X_2)^2 \geq \frac{1}{4} \langle [X_1,X_2]^2 \rangle=\frac{1}{4} \langle 4 \rangle = 1$$

Now, we can use the fact that the operators ##a## and ##a^\dagger## are related to the quadratures through:

$$X_1=a+a^\dagger$$
$$X_2=i(a-a^\dagger)$$

So, we can write:

$$(\Delta X_1)^2 = (\Delta (a+a^\dagger))^2 = (\Delta a)^2 + (\Delta a^\dagger)^2 + 2 \langle a^\dagger a \rangle$$

$$(\Delta X_2)^2 = (\Delta (a-a^\dagger))^2 = (\Delta a)^2 + (\Delta a^\dagger)^2 - 2 \langle a^\dagger a \rangle$$

Substituting these expressions into the uncertainty principle, we get:

$$(\Delta a)^2 (\Delta a^\dagger)^2 \geq 1 - \frac{1}{2} \langle a^\dagger a \rangle$$

Now, we can use the equations of motion for ##a## and ##a^\dagger## that we found in part (a):

$$a_I (t)=a_I (0)e^{i \omega t}$$
$$a_I^\dagger (t)=a_I^\dagger (0)e^{-i \omega t}

1. What is a degenerate parametric amplifier?

A degenerate parametric amplifier is a device used in quantum optics to amplify weak signals by exploiting the non-linear properties of a pump beam. It is degenerate because the pump beam and the signal beam have the same frequency.

2. What are quadratures in the context of degenerate parametric amplifiers?

Quadratures refer to the two orthogonal components of a signal beam, which can be amplified separately by a degenerate parametric amplifier. These quadratures are typically referred to as the in-phase and quadrature components.

3. How does a degenerate parametric amplifier amplify signals?

A degenerate parametric amplifier uses a pump beam to induce a non-linear interaction in a crystal. This interaction creates two amplified quadrature components of the signal beam, which can then be combined to increase the overall signal power.

4. What are the advantages of using a degenerate parametric amplifier?

Degenerate parametric amplifiers have very low noise levels and can amplify signals without adding significant noise. They also have a wide bandwidth and can amplify a broad range of frequencies, making them useful in a variety of applications.

5. What are some common applications of degenerate parametric amplifiers?

Degenerate parametric amplifiers are commonly used in quantum optics experiments, where they are used to amplify weak quantum signals. They are also used in communication systems, radar technology, and in medical imaging devices to improve sensitivity and resolution.