Degree in Biostatistics vs applied Math

In summary, the conversation is about a transfer student considering a Biostatistics or Applied Mathematics degree at a strict and religious private university. The Biostatistics degree requires a wide range of courses including biology, math, and computer science, while the Applied Mathematics degree has less statistics but more courses in probability and numerical analysis. The group agrees that the Applied Mathematics degree may be the better choice in terms of keeping options open for further graduate study or work.
TheKracken5
Howdy everyone. I am a transfer student (starting in January) to a small religious private university. This university is very strict (in general and academically) and they typically do not allow double majors (unless under 140 semester units) and they also make it VERY hard to change your major.

I need to decide basically in a semester if I am going to go for a Biostatistics degree or a applied mathematics degree. My hopes is to go to grad school in either biostatistics, computational bio, or epidemiology.

The Biostatistics degree requires a wide breadth of courses including biology, computer science and statistics.
Biology:
-2 semesters of bio for bio majors.
-2 semesters of genetic and cell molecular biology
-1 semester of bio lab techniques

Math:
-3 semesters of Calculus
-1 semester Linear algebra
-5 semesters of statistics beyond basic intro course. Includes: intermediate stats, experimental design, data wrangling, linear regression, and stats consulting.

Comp Sci:
-Intro to programming, object oriented and data structures, data base design, and machine learning.

I am worried the Biostatistics course doesn't have enough math heavy courses. I have take a DEQ's class, but I would think that should be required for the degree...Id like to see some probability heavy theory classes, maybe some numerical analysis and a normal theory based analysis class. The applied math degree has less stats than this degree and more of what I was mentioning, but no comp science or biology. What do you all think? I am not sure if I will being doing a MS for industry or a PHD...id like to keep my options open.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am still an undergrad, but from my experience and talking to others, an applied math degree is your best bet. The biostats option seems to be too specialized, and specialization is something you want to avoid during your undergrad. It limits your options for further graduate study/ work.

I would do applied math in this case.

MidgetDwarf said:
I am still an undergrad, but from my experience and talking to others, an applied math degree is your best bet. The biostats option seems to be too specialized, and specialization is something you want to avoid during your undergrad. It limits your options for further graduate study/ work.

I would do applied math in this case.
I am majoring in pure math btw, but I don't mind taking a few applied math courses if they are interesting.

1. What is the main difference between a degree in Biostatistics and a degree in Applied Math?

A degree in Biostatistics focuses on the application of statistical methods and analysis in the field of biology and health sciences, while a degree in Applied Math focuses on the use of mathematical modeling and techniques in solving real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, finance, and economics.

2. Are the courses offered in both degrees similar?

While there may be some overlap in courses, the curriculum for a degree in Biostatistics typically includes more courses in biology and health sciences, while a degree in Applied Math may include more courses in computer science and other areas of math such as linear algebra and differential equations.

3. Which degree is better for a career in research?

Both degrees can lead to a career in research, but a degree in Biostatistics may be more suitable for those interested in research in the biological and health sciences, while a degree in Applied Math may be better for research in areas such as computer science, finance, or engineering.

4. What job opportunities are available for graduates of these degrees?

Graduates with a degree in Biostatistics can work as biostatisticians, data analysts, or research scientists in the pharmaceutical, healthcare, or public health industries. Graduates with a degree in Applied Math may find employment as data scientists, financial analysts, or operations research analysts in various industries.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in either of these fields with a degree in the other?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Biostatistics with a degree in Applied Math and vice versa. However, some additional coursework or prerequisites may be required to bridge any gaps in knowledge between the two fields.