Degrees of freedom of harmonic oscillator

In summary: The oscillations have kinetic energy and the center of mass has potential energy. When you add energy to the oscillator at rest, the energy is evenly distributed among the degrees of freedom. When you add energy to an atom or molecule, the additional energy is only manifest in certain degrees of freedom.
McLaren Rulez

Homework Statement

A three-dimensional harmonic oscillator is in thermal equilibrium with a temperature reservoir at temperature T. The average total energy of oscillator is
A. ½kT
B. kT
C. ³⁄₂kT
D. 3kT
E. 6kT

Homework Equations

Equipartition theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the answer is D. The justification given is that a harmonic oscillator has two degrees of freedom (##1/2kx^2## and ##1/2mv^2##) in each dimension so 6 degrees of freedom. The equipartition theorem assigns ½kT to each.

I don't understand why the ##1/2kx^2## and ##1/2mv^2## are independent degrees of freedom. Aren't they related by the total energy in that dimension i.e. ##1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2 = constant##? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
McLaren Rulez said:

Homework Statement

A three-dimensional harmonic oscillator is in thermal equilibrium with a temperature reservoir at temperature T. The average total energy of oscillator is
A. ½kT
B. kT
C. ³⁄₂kT
D. 3kT
E. 6kT

Homework Equations

Equipartition theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the answer is D. The justification given is that a harmonic oscillator has two degrees of freedom (##1/2kx^2## and ##1/2mv^2##) in each dimension so 6 degrees of freedom. The equipartition theorem assigns ½kT to each.

I don't understand why the ##1/2kx^2## and ##1/2mv^2## are independent degrees of freedom. Aren't they related by the total energy in that dimension i.e. ##1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2 = constant##? Thank you.
Indeed the sum of the kinetic and potential energy is a constant, but look at it another way. Say you put 12 Joules worth of energy into a 3d harmonic oscillator. How is this energy divided among all the possible ways it can be divided into?

You spend 6 J to stretch it in the x, y and z -directions and at that point you have an oscillator at rest. The remaining 6 J go into kinetic energy of the center of mass in the x, y and z-directions.

Last edited:
Because both position and momentum are needed to uniquely define the state of a harmonic oscillator.

kuruman said:
You spend 6 J to stretch it in the x, y and z -directions and at that point you have an oscillator at rest. The remaining 6 J go into kinetic energy of the center of mass in the x, y and z-directions.
How is this different to allocating all 12J to the oscillator at rest and then releasing it?

DrClaude said:
Because both position and momentum are needed to uniquely define the state of a harmonic oscillator.
Am I then correct in transforming that to state that the amplitude and the phase are the two degrees of freedom here? I can understand how more energy leads to a larger amplitude but I'm struggling to see why the phase is affected.

If you add 12 J to the oscillator at rest (I suppose you mean the CM is at rest) then when you release it, the oscillator will just oscillate but the CM will not move. However, note that when you add 12 J to an atom or molecule, you have no choice how these 12 J are distributed. If there are six degrees of freedom each one will receive 2 J. This is known as equipartition of energy.

The amplitude and phase of a harmonic oscillator are not related to its degrees of freedom. Degrees of freedom are the possible places where energy can be tucked away when added to a molecule. If you add energy to a molecule that already has some, then the additional energy will be manifested in all the degrees of freedom. In your case, this means that all three amplitudes of oscillation and all three components of the velocity will increase.

I think I see what you mean. You're saying that the entire oscillator system moves with some energy (and this is translational kinetic energy) and the oscillations themselves carry a different and unrelated energy. This makes sense - earlier, I assumed that the kinetic energy you were talking about was also of the oscillations.

Somehow, when I read the question, I incorrectly assumed a fixed oscillator where the only degree of freedom was the energy of the oscillations (and that the CM was fixed).

Do correct me if I'm wrong but if not, thank you for the help!

You are correct.

1. What is the concept of degrees of freedom in a harmonic oscillator?

The concept of degrees of freedom in a harmonic oscillator refers to the number of independent parameters needed to describe the motion of the oscillator. In a simple harmonic oscillator, there are two degrees of freedom – position and velocity – which can be described using a single coordinate system.

2. How do degrees of freedom affect the energy of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator is directly proportional to its degrees of freedom. This means that as the number of degrees of freedom increases, so does the energy of the oscillator.

3. What is the relationship between degrees of freedom and the oscillation frequency of a harmonic oscillator?

The oscillation frequency of a harmonic oscillator is inversely proportional to its degrees of freedom. This means that as the degrees of freedom increase, the oscillation frequency decreases.

4. How does the mass of the oscillator affect its degrees of freedom?

The mass of the oscillator does not affect its degrees of freedom directly. However, it does affect the energy and oscillation frequency of the oscillator, which are both related to the degrees of freedom.

5. Can a harmonic oscillator have more than two degrees of freedom?

Yes, a harmonic oscillator can have more than two degrees of freedom. An example of this is a three-dimensional harmonic oscillator, which has three independent parameters needed to describe its motion – position in the x, y, and z directions.