Delayed Choice Eraser with dispersion pattern controlled detectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard delayed choice quantum eraser experiment and the correlation between the dispersion pattern on the screen and the detection of the path of the electron. The idea of manipulating the experiment by delaying the detection of the idler photon is proposed, but it is clarified that the pattern on the screen is always the same regardless of which-way information. The concept of correlation between the path information and the interference pattern is also discussed and ultimately dismissed.
Devedander
Sorry if it's a silly question but I was trying to find such an experiment and wasn't successful.

What I am thinking is, in the standard delayed choice quantum eraser, the dispersion pattern on the screen correlates to whether or not we can detect which path the electron took.

What if the it's setup so that there is a very large delay after the signal photon impacts on the screen before the sensor array that might detect which path info from the idler photon. And let's say that calculations are made such that certain areas on the screen are known to only be possible if the photon acts as a particle and/or if the photon acts as a wave.

Could it be done such that the screen, upon detecting a photon impact that MUST be wave form or MUST be particle form then turns on or off the sensors which would give us which path info to make such a result impossible before the entangled particle arrives to be detected?

Perhaps this could be accomplished by putting the detector array close to the screen and forcing the idler photon to travel very far away and back again before being detected (similar to what was done on la palma but instead of detecting on the remote island, simply return the idler photon back from the remote island for detection near it's origin).

I was thinking this might make an interesting situation where an already observed scenario would be forced to change after it has been observed (ie the signal photon impacts outside the range the lump pattern could conceivably cover meaning it displayed wave function, so we turn on the detector which forces it to take particle function and thus it must move it's impact site into the lump pattern area).

Here is a basic image explaining the general a layout. http://i.imgur.com/Zx3jvfV.png and explaining how you could have the detector array controlled by the detector screen before the idler arrives.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
Devedander said:
What I am thinking is, in the standard delayed choice quantum eraser, the dispersion pattern on the screen correlates to whether or not we can detect which path the electron took.

Before we start discussing complicated thought experiments: No, it does not!

The pattern on the screen is always the same, no matter whether you have which-way info or not. It is only the coincidence count pattern between signal and idler which changes.

Cthugha said:
Before we start discussing complicated thought experiments: No, it does not!

The pattern on the screen is always the same, no matter whether you have which-way info or not. It is only the coincidence count pattern between signal and idler which changes.

So help me out here then... I thought the way it worked was that the the signal hits the screen and then the idler goes through the array of sensors, sometimes hitting ones that give which path info and sometimes ending up at ones that obfuscate the what path info.

When reviewed the times the idler gives what path info, the entangled signal particle fell into an area that correlates with an interference patter and vice versa.

So while I understand the overall pattern for the group of test particles is always the same, is it not the case that if you only look at the ones that correlate with an idler giving which path info, the result is a lump patter while looking at only signals that correlate with obfuscated info you get a diffusion pattern?

Is that not how it works?

EDIT: Never mind... I realize now that there is no point on the detection screen that is exclusive to lump or interference pattern participant particles.

Last edited:

1. What is the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment?

The Delayed Choice Eraser experiment is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics that explores the nature of reality and the concept of wave-particle duality. It involves observing a particle's behavior after it has already passed through a double-slit experiment, but before it is measured. The experiment has been replicated in various forms in the field of quantum physics.

2. How does the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment work?

In the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment, a particle is fired through a double-slit apparatus. At the end of the apparatus, there are two detectors that measure the particle's position. However, there is also a third detector that can be used to erase the information about which slit the particle went through. This third detector is only activated after the particle has already passed through the double-slit apparatus, making it a "delayed" choice.

3. What is a dispersion pattern in the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment?

A dispersion pattern is the pattern of interference or diffraction that is observed when a particle passes through a double-slit apparatus. In the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment, the presence or absence of a dispersion pattern can indicate whether the particle behaved as a wave or a particle. If the pattern is present, it suggests that the particle acted as a wave and passed through both slits simultaneously. If the pattern is absent, it suggests that the particle behaved as a particle and only passed through one of the slits.

4. How are the detectors in the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment controlled?

In the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment, the detectors are controlled by the experimenter. The third detector, known as the "eraser", can be turned on or off after the particle has already passed through the double-slit apparatus. This allows the experimenter to choose whether or not to erase the information about which slit the particle went through, and therefore influence the outcome of the experiment.

5. What implications does the Delayed Choice Eraser experiment have on our understanding of reality?

The Delayed Choice Eraser experiment challenges our traditional understanding of reality and the concept of causality. It suggests that the behavior of particles can change depending on whether or not we choose to observe or measure them. This raises questions about the nature of reality and our role as observers in shaping it. The experiment continues to be a topic of debate and research in the field of quantum physics.