Delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the possibility of delayed choice multi-entanglement swapping, where four pairs of photons are created and entanglement is then swapped between the remaining six photons. The question is posed whether this process would result in photons 1 and 8 becoming entangled, and if not, what alternative scheme would achieve this. The article mentioned is related to the idea proposed by Asher Peres about entanglement swapping, and the conversation also delves into the concept of post-selection and the choices made for measuring bell-states in the experiment. The conversation also raises a question about the detection of photons 1 and 6 in different bell-states compared to photons 4 and 5.
StevieTNZ
This idea is brought on by this paper: http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.5646
and the idea proposed by Asher Peres: http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9904042

is it possible to have delayed choice multi-entanglement swapping? i.e. create four pairs of photons – 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and 7+8. Measure photons 1 and 8 first, then swap entanglement between the remaining six photons. I.e. bell-state measure photons 2 and 3, then bell-state measure photons 4 and 5. Then bell-state measure 6 and 7. I hope that made sense. I’m thinking the details out in my head.

Would that, in the end, make photons 1 and 8 entangled? If not, what scheme similar to the above would?

Many thanks
Stevie

Physics news on Phys.org
you can read this

naima said:
you can read this

Thanks for that article.

Why is it that when photons 4 and 5 are detected in a certain bell-state, photons 1 and 6 are detected in a different bell-state? I thought they would be detected in the same bell-state as 4 and 5.

Could someone shed some light on this?

the three pairs are supposed to be Ψ- (post selection? how?)
The author could have chosen 2-3 to be Ψ- 1-4 would have been also Ψ-
there is a second choice with 4-5 if you still choose them to be Ψ- 1-6 will be also Ψ-

Related to Delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping

1. What is delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping?

Delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping is a quantum phenomenon in which the entanglement of particles can be swapped and delayed, allowing the particles to be entangled with each other at different points in time.

2. How does delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping work?

Delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping works by using a series of entangled particles to create complex quantum networks. These networks allow for the swapping and delaying of entanglement between particles, which can then be used for various quantum information processing tasks.

3. What are the potential applications of delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping?

Some potential applications of delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping include quantum communication, quantum cryptography, and quantum computing. It could also potentially be used in quantum teleportation and quantum teleportation-based secure communication.

4. What are the challenges in studying and utilizing delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping?

One of the main challenges in studying delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping is the delicate nature of quantum systems. These systems are highly sensitive to external disturbances, making it difficult to maintain and manipulate entanglement for extended periods of time. Additionally, the complexity of creating and controlling entanglement networks is a significant challenge.

5. Are there any real-world examples of delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping?

While delayed-choice multi entanglement swapping is a relatively new concept, there have been some experimental demonstrations of this phenomenon in the lab. One example is a study where researchers successfully delayed the entanglement of two photons with the use of a quantum memory device. However, more research and development is needed before this phenomenon can be applied in practical, real-world situations.