Deleted posts should preserve the sequential numbering

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary: Is it? Can you point to a thread where that has happened?I'm pretty sure I've seen that happen. I'll test it now by deleting your post...EDIT -- Yep, when I deleted your post, my post went to #5.Undeleting your post made this post of mine go back to #6.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If i refer to an earlier post by number, that number is subject to change when one in between gets deleted.

Should deleted posts perhaps rather than disappear be replaced by a place holder or 'this post intentionally blank" ?

Something like a sequential file, you don't delete sectors in the middle.

Likes OCR
Physics news on Phys.org
"Post deleted by a moderator" should spell out the truth of what happened for the general reader, just like "last edited by a moderator" already exists. So I support your proposal to Greg.

Likes OCR
jim hardy said:
If i refer to an earlier post by number, that number is subject to change when one in between gets deleted.

Should deleted posts perhaps rather than disappear be replaced by a place holder or 'this post intentionally blank" ?

Something like a sequential file, you don't delete sectors in the middle.
When a post is "deleted" by a mentor, it's not actually deleted, it's just that regular members can no longer see it, it's still there and can be restored. So it may not be possible to do what you're asking, but @Greg Bernhardt may know the answer.

As Evo said the post is essentially hidden. We do sometimes restore a deleted (hidden) post so the numbering needs to remain in tact.

jim hardy said:
that number is subject to change when one in between gets deleted.

Is it? Can you point to a thread where that has happened?

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm pretty sure I've seen that happen. I'll test it now by deleting your post...

EDIT -- Yep, when I deleted your post, my post went to #5. Undeleting your post made this post of mine go back to #6.

@Greg Bernhardt -- I'd support an RFE to the software developers to have an option to keep the post numbering consistent when posts are deleted. Not all forums may want it, but I think it would be a good idea as an option for forum owners to decide. Referring to posts by number must be common in many forum communities. Otherwise, what is the point of numbering the posts at all? :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:

Hmmm am i mistaken ? I was sure i'd seen it
but now that I'm challenged i'll have to dig one up.

Wait a second --- How sure are you guys that when moderation occurs , numbering stays the same ?

Yes, Vanadium my deleted posts in
Breaking Down POTUS ...
disappeared
yet numbering is sequential though there should be numbers missing. I don't see any missing. Numbers apparently get reshuffled among posts so there's no discontinuities..

old jimEDiT i see it's been tested. Thanks guys.

Greg Bernhardt said:
As Evo said the post is essentially hidden. We do sometimes restore a deleted (hidden) post so the numbering needs to remain in tact.
looks like they don't stay intact.

The numbers change if posts are deleted. Above my post, Vanadium made a post and deleted it. As you can see, it doesn't count.

It can be confusing, but non-sequential post numbers can be confusing as well. This would also break the postnumber/pagenumber relation.

mfb said:
The numbers change if posts are deleted. Above my post, Vanadium made a post and deleted it. As you can see, it doesn't count.

It can be confusing, but non-sequential post numbers can be confusing as well. This would also break the postnumber/pagenumber relation.

How then does one refer to another post if its number is subject to change?
That's why they changed freeway exit numbering from sequential to mile marker.

If instead of disappearing they were replaced by a placeholder it'd be win-win.

jim hardy said:
How then does one refer to another post if its number is subject to change?
Posts in the middle of threads are rarely deleted, and if it is just a single post then you are only off by one, which is not hard to figure out. I don't say it is ideal but I don't think it is a big deal.

You can click on a post number to get a URL to link to it. For example, I might refer to Jim's last post.

Likes S.G. Janssens
mfb said:
Posts in the middle of threads are rarely deleted,
except in pf lounge political threads

Ibix said:
You can click on a post number to get a URL to link to it. For example, I might refer to Jim's last post.
if that's what it takes... seems analogous to referring to highway exits by gps coordinates instead of mile marker though.

Evo said:
When a post is "deleted" by a mentor, it's not actually deleted, it's just that regular members can no longer see it, it's still there and can be restored.
When we delete a post, ordinarily it is just hidden. We also have the ability to vaporize a post, permanently deleting it. AFAIK, once deleted this way, it can't be restored.

mfb said:
Posts in the middle of threads are rarely deleted
But it does happen.

Mark44 said:
When we delete a post, ordinarily it is just hidden. We also have the ability to vaporize a post, permanently deleting it. AFAIK, once deleted this way, it can't be restored.
True, but we don't permanently delete a post unless it's spam, at least we're not supposed to.

If a thread has a lot of sudden activity, it's not unlikely that an older post will need to be deleted. This is why we ask people to report posts that are questionable so that they can be looked at in a timely manner. This is the first time I am aware of that anyone has said that a deleted post caused them trouble in referring to another post in a thread, why not just quote the post you wish to refer to? That is how people usually refer to a post and would solve your problem.

Evo said:
why not just quote the post you wish to refer to? That is how people usually refer to a post and would solve your problem.

That'll work. just seems counterintuitive intuitive that a post number is a fluid thing.
It's helpful to have some kind of milepost by which one can find old posts. Hopefully permalinks don't change.

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
That'll work. just seems counterintuitive intuitive that a post number is a fluid thing.
It's helpful to have some kind of milepost by which one can find old posts. Hopefully permalinks don't change.
There are a lot of things that are counterintuitive and have us pulling our hair out at times. Greg always goes to bat for us with the software developers, but they just don't seem to get our needs. Always feel free to ask, things won't change if you don't ask, of course things might not change no matter how many times people ask. Greg doesn't own the software and he can only ask most of the time. Things that we all feel are just common sense are dismissed by the developers. Believe me , it's not that we won't do it, we don't have the ability to do it.

Evo said:
Greg doesn't own the software and he can only ask most of the time. Things that we all feel are just common sense are dismissed by the developers. Believe me , it's not that we won't do it, we don't have the ability to do it.

Thanks Evo

i'm an old hardware guy but i took my share of programming courses.
Programmers are different (from me anyway) i think they're more verbal-brain oriented and outgoing. Before class they're working crossword puzzles and anagrams. Their conversation sparkled .
We hardware guys were more introverted, read tech manuals and struggled for words to describe oscilloscope setups or car repairs. Honest, i felt like Cliff Robertson in Charly.

old jim

Mark44 said:
We also have the ability to vaporize a post
"Vaporize"?

The abilities of the moderators never cease to impress me.

jim hardy said:
Links do not change, as they are based on the postid (5590586 for your post), which does not change.

Likes jim hardy

Related to Deleted posts should preserve the sequential numbering

What is the purpose of preserving sequential numbering for deleted posts?

The purpose of preserving sequential numbering for deleted posts is to maintain the integrity and consistency of the post numbering system. This allows for easier tracking and referencing of posts, even if some have been deleted.

How does preserving sequential numbering benefit users?

Preserving sequential numbering benefits users by allowing them to easily follow the chronological order of posts. This can be especially useful for forums or discussion boards where the order of posts can be important in understanding the conversation.

Does preserving sequential numbering affect the overall numbering of posts?

No, preserving sequential numbering for deleted posts does not change the overall numbering of posts. The numbering system will continue to follow the natural order of posts, regardless of any deleted posts.

Are there any downsides to preserving sequential numbering for deleted posts?

One potential downside is that if a large number of posts are deleted, there may be gaps in the numbering system. However, this can be easily remedied by renumbering the posts or simply ignoring the gaps.

Is it necessary to preserve sequential numbering for all types of posts?

It is not necessary to preserve sequential numbering for all types of posts. In some cases, such as social media platforms, the order of posts may not be as important and preserving sequential numbering may not be necessary. It ultimately depends on the purpose and structure of the platform.