Deleting threads without proper reason

In summary, the conversation revolved around a deleted post in the chemistry forums regarding the addition of thiols to vinyl ethers. The original poster believed their question was not a homework question and should not have been deleted without explanation. However, according to the Terms and Rules page, homework questions should be posted in the Homework & Coursework Questions area, not in the technical forums. The post was deleted due to its resemblance to a textbook-style homework question.
AdityaDev
I had created a thread in the chemistry forums regarding the addition of thiols to vinyl ethers.
The question was proper and "was not homework/numerical/objective question". I just wanted to know if the reaction was correct and the question was "not given by teacher/not taken from problem books/school textbooks/tution books". It was a conceptual question and I am not a chemistry professor yet. No information about the free radical initiator had been given and only one line about the topic was given. I just wanted to know if my understanding was correct. A simple yes or no would have helped me a lot.
Such kind of question was answered in general physics forums. (I can give you the link).
Also, @Borek could have asked me to explain further. he could have replied in the thread rather than simply removing it.
You must also understand that I don't have a good chemistry teacher to answer my Question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of simply deleting, you should have sent a warning and should have allowed me to edit the question.

If you want a copy of the deleted post so that you can edit it into a more acceptable form, just ask.

Okay. Please retore the post and let me edit it. I still don't know why @Borek deleted it.

how do you define "homework question"?

AdityaDev said:
Okay. Please restore the post and let me edit it. I still don't know why @Borek deleted it.

I didn't say I would restore it, I said that you could have a copy. It'll be in your inbox in a few minutes.

Borek explained why the post was deleted in the private message that he sent you.

I said the explanation was not proper. He dod not say in what way it was a homework question. He should have put a reply asking me to explain. Thats what Chet does. He make me solve the problem. so does Haruspex. But they never deleted it.

You are aware of the fact you are breaking the rules again?

AdityaDev said:
how do you define "homework ques tion"?

Per the Terms and Rules page:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Homework Guidelines
  • Posts Belong in the Homework Forum
    Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area--not in blogs, visitor messages, PMs, or the main technical forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work.

Your post referenced a textbook and looked like a homework-type question to me. Given that mentors routinely delete homework questions that have been posted in the technical forums, I see no reason to have kept your post around at the time. Keep in mind that deciding whether a post meets the rules or not is rarely a black and white issue. We can't read the minds of members, so while it may be obvious to you that your question isn't homework, it isn't obvious for us at all, or to other members who report these kinds of issues to us.

Likes Ryan_m_b and AdityaDev

1. Why do moderators delete threads without a proper reason?

Moderators have the responsibility to maintain a safe and respectful environment for all users on a platform. This includes removing threads that violate community guidelines, contain inappropriate content, or are considered spam. Deleting threads without a proper reason is done to ensure the overall quality and integrity of the platform.

2. Can moderators delete threads without notifying the user?

In most cases, moderators will notify the user and provide a reason for deleting a thread. However, in certain situations where the thread poses a significant violation or threat, moderators may delete it without notifying the user. This is done to protect the community and prevent further harm.

3. How can I dispute the deletion of my thread?

If you believe your thread was deleted without proper reason, you can reach out to the platform's support team or moderators for clarification. They will review the situation and provide an explanation for the deletion. If it was done in error, they may reinstate the thread.

4. Is there a way to prevent my thread from being deleted?

To ensure your threads are not deleted without proper reason, make sure to familiarize yourself with the community guidelines and follow them. Avoid posting inappropriate or irrelevant content, and try to contribute positively to the platform. This will decrease the chances of your thread being deleted by moderators.

5. Are there any consequences for moderators who frequently delete threads without proper reason?

Moderators are expected to follow the platform's guidelines and use their judgment when deleting threads. If a moderator is found to be consistently deleting threads without proper reason, they may face consequences such as losing their moderation privileges. This is to maintain the trust and fairness of the platform's moderation system.