Delta-Epsilon Proofs: Finding d for f(x)+g(x)=6

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation is discussing finding a value for d that satisfies the conditions for both f(x) and g(x) to be less than E/2. The solution involves replacing E with E/2 and choosing the smaller of the two d values to ensure both f(x) and g(x) are less than E/2.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

Suppose the functions f and g have the following property: for all E > 0 and all x,

if 0 < |x - 2| < sin((E^2)/9) + E, then |f(x) - 2| < E,
if 0 < |x - 2| < E^2, then |g(x) - 4| < E.

For each E > 0, find a d > 0 such that, for all x,

i) if 0 < |x - 2| < d, then |f(x) + g(x) - 6| < E.

Homework Equations

N/A, I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, what I did was look at |f(x) + g(x) - 6| < E. Since I was given |f(x) - 2| < E and |g(x) - 4| < E, the best strategy seemed to be to change d so that it would produce values that would be, for each expression involving f(x) and g(x) would be less than E/2. However, since I don't actually know what f(x) and g(x) are, I'm at a loss as to how to do that.

Spivak's solution (since this problem comes from there, ch. 5 #6), says the same thing ("we need...< E/2") but then says that this means I need:

0 < |x - 2| < min(sin(E^2/36)^2 + E/2, E^2/4) = d

...the logic of which escapes me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have d as a function of E for both f(x) and g(x). If you replace E by E/2 everywhere, wouldn't you get what you need?

Then, for the final step that Spivak uses, remember that the value of d you get for f(x) will only guarantee that |f(x)-2| < E/2, and the value of d for g(x) will only guarantee that |g(x) -2| < E/2, so to ensure both are < E/2, you have the pick the smaller of the two d's.

Gib Z said:
You have d as a function of E for both f(x) and g(x). If you replace E by E/2 everywhere, wouldn't you get what you need?

Then, for the final step that Spivak uses, remember that the value of d you get for f(x) will only guarantee that |f(x)-2| < E/2, and the value of d for g(x) will only guarantee that |g(x) -2| < E/2, so to ensure both are < E/2, you have the pick the smaller of the two d's.

Thanks for the response.

My problem with this is I don't see how replacing E with E/2 (in delta) replaces E with E/2 for...E. In other words, I don't see why bringing x even closer to a necessarily makes E...wait. I think I see what you're saying.

My mistake, I believe, was that I was imagining E as some fixed value, and E/2 as some number that would be closer to l. I think I see why this would not be the case...thanks!

Related to Delta-Epsilon Proofs: Finding d for f(x)+g(x)=6

1. What is a Delta-Epsilon Proof?

A Delta-Epsilon Proof is a way of rigorously proving the limit of a function using the concepts of "delta" and "epsilon". It involves finding a value for "delta" (the distance between the input and the limit) that corresponds to a given value of "epsilon" (the desired margin of error).

2. How do you find d for f(x)+g(x)=6?

To find d for f(x)+g(x)=6, you need to start by setting up the given limit definition: |f(x)+g(x)-6| < epsilon. Then, you can manipulate the equation to get |x-a| < d, where "a" is the point at which the limit is being evaluated. Finally, you can solve for "d" by using algebraic techniques, such as factoring or isolating the "d" variable.

3. What is the purpose of a Delta-Epsilon Proof?

The purpose of a Delta-Epsilon Proof is to provide a rigorous and precise way of proving the limit of a function. It ensures that the limit truly exists and is not just an approximation, and it allows for a clear understanding of the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific point.

4. Are Delta-Epsilon Proofs difficult?

Delta-Epsilon Proofs can be challenging, especially for those who are new to the concept. However, with practice and a strong understanding of the underlying principles, they can become easier to grasp. It is important to carefully follow the steps and definitions outlined in the proof to ensure an accurate and correct solution.

5. Can Delta-Epsilon Proofs be used for all functions?

Yes, Delta-Epsilon Proofs can be used for all functions, as long as the limit of the function exists at the given point. However, the process may vary slightly depending on the type of function (e.g. polynomial, trigonometric, exponential) and the specific limit being evaluated. It is important to carefully consider the properties and behavior of the function in order to choose the most appropriate method for finding "d".