Delta function and dirac notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dirac notation and delta function in physics. It is mentioned that according to the answers to the problem, <a|a> equals 1 and <a|-a> equals 0. However, it is pointed out that <a|a> actually goes to infinity, making it incorrect to use it for normalization. The individual suggests getting a book on applied math for further understanding.
KostasV
Hello there !
I found this discussion http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...a-delta-function-position-space-wave-function about dirac notation and delta function .
The one that answers to the problem says that ##<a|a>=1## and ##<a|-a>=0## .
As far as i know:
1) ##<a|-a>=δ(a-(-a))## which in this case is zero because delta function is zero everywhere except ##x=-a## where it goes to infinity. So i understand why this is zero.
2) ##<a|a>=δ(a-a) → ∞ ## and not 1 . Am I wrong and this ##<a|a>## is obviously 1. Can you explain me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
KostasV said:
The one that answers to the problem says that ##<a|a>=1## and ##<a|-a>=0## .

You are correct - it is infinity. Strictly speaking its undefined, but is usually taken as infinity. The issue with infinity and why its better to have it undefined is c∂(t) is also zero when t is not zero and infinity when t = 0 for any positive c. So, naively, c'∂(t) = c∂(t) for any positive c or c'. But it acts differently when integrated.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
So it is wrong to normalize the function with the two delta functions that he gives using ##<a|a>=1## because it actually goes to infinity.
So how could we normalize ##ψ(x)=δ(x-a)+δ(x-a)## in a correct way ?

KostasV said:
So it is wrong to normalize the function with the two delta functions that he gives using ##<a|a>=1## because it actually goes to infinity. So how could we normalize ##ψ(x)=δ(x-a)+δ(x-a)## in a correct way ?

They are distributions - normalisation makes no sense. The square of a delta function doesn't exist.

I suggest getting hold of the following:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It will help in many areas of applied math not just QM.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response :)

1. What is the delta function?

The delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to represent a point-like source or impulse. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is infinite. This allows for simplification of mathematical equations and modeling of real-life situations.

2. How is the delta function represented in Dirac notation?

In Dirac notation, the delta function is represented by the symbol |δ⟩. This symbol is used to represent an abstract vector in a mathematical space, with the delta function being a special case of this vector. It is often used in quantum mechanics to represent a state that is concentrated at a single point.

3. What are the properties of the delta function?

The delta function has several important properties, including:

• It is symmetric: |δ(x)| = |δ(-x)|
  • It is even: δ(x) = δ(-x)
  • It is odd: δ(-x) = -δ(x)
  • It is normalized: ∫δ(x)dx = 1
  • It satisfies the sifting property: ∫f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a)

These properties make the delta function a powerful tool in mathematical calculations and modeling.

4. How is the delta function used in physics?

In physics, the delta function is used in a variety of ways. It can be used to represent a point-like force or potential in mechanics, a point charge or current in electromagnetics, or a point-like source in fluid dynamics. It is also used in quantum mechanics to represent a particle at a specific point in space, or to describe the position and momentum of a particle.

5. How is the delta function related to the Kronecker delta?

The Kronecker delta, denoted as δij, is a mathematical function used to represent the identity matrix in linear algebra. It is closely related to the delta function, as it is defined as 1 when i = j and 0 otherwise. In fact, the Kronecker delta can be thought of as a discrete version of the delta function, with the latter being a continuous function. Both have similar properties and are widely used in various branches of mathematics and physics.