Delta-Sigma ADC - Simulating and Breadboarding

• Thread starter jmielke94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc
In summary, the conversation is about designing a simple Delta-Sigma ADC converter for a project, using simple circuit elements and simulating it on Multisim. The design includes using a comparator, op-amp(s), and a flip-flop/latch chip. The simulation will be demonstrated using a breadboard and an oscilloscope and function generator will be used for viewing input/output and as a clock. The main challenges include designing the 1-bit ADC and the 1-bit memory element. The picture attached shows a Multisim simulation of the analog part of a 2nd order Delta-Sigma Modulator.
jmielke94
Delta-Sigma ADC -- Simulating and Breadboarding

Homework Statement

Hello PF,
For a project I am to design, simulate and demonstrate and very simple Delta-Sigma ADC converter. I need only use simple circuit elements, a comparator, op-amp(s), and a flip-flop/latch chip. The simulation will be done on multisim and the ADC will be demonstrated using a breadboard platform. An oscilloscope will be used to view the input/output and a function generator can be used as a clock. The input frequency is to be less than 100Hz

Homework Equations

I have attached a jpg of the simplified Delta-Sigma ADC diagram taken directly from the project outline. Basic circuit analysis includes any and all equations that would be relevant, but I do not need help with analysis right now.

The Attempt at a Solution

A simple integrator can be constructed using a resistor and a capacitor.
I know that a low-pass filter should be included in the output.

I am having trouble designing the 1-bit ADC and the 1-bit memory element (refer to the attached jpg). For the 1-bit ADC, I believe I need to compare the analog output from the integrator to a reference voltage in order to produce a two level signal, however I do not know how to do this. Instinct tells me I should incorporate an op-amp, but I am unsure about how to do so.
The 1-bit memory element should incorporate a clock in order to time the outputs.(?)

I am asking for some direction and some component recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmielke94 said:

Homework Statement

Hello PF,
For a project I am to design, simulate and demonstrate and very simple Delta-Sigma ADC converter. I need only use simple circuit elements, a comparator, op-amp(s), and a flip-flop/latch chip. The simulation will be done on multisim and the ADC will be demonstrated using a breadboard platform. An oscilloscope will be used to view the input/output and a function generator can be used as a clock. The input frequency is to be less than 100Hz

Homework Equations

I have attached a jpg of the simplified Delta-Sigma ADC diagram taken directly from the project outline. Basic circuit analysis includes any and all equations that would be relevant, but I do not need help with analysis right now.

The Attempt at a Solution

A simple integrator can be constructed using a resistor and a capacitor.
I know that a low-pass filter should be included in the output.

I am having trouble designing the 1-bit ADC and the 1-bit memory element (refer to the attached jpg). For the 1-bit ADC, I believe I need to compare the analog output from the integrator to a reference voltage in order to produce a two level signal, however I do not know how to do this. Instinct tells me I should incorporate an op-amp, but I am unsure about how to do so.
The 1-bit memory element should incorporate a clock in order to time the outputs.(?)

I am asking for some direction and some component recommendations.

Welcome to the PF.

I'm not seeing any attachment...

My apologies, hopefully this picture will show now.

Attachments

• ADC.JPG
    ADC.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 661
Multisim Simulation of the analog part of a 2nd order Delta-Sigma Modulator:)
dsm2.JPG

Joe Simon said:
Multisim Simulation of the analog part of a 2nd order Delta-Sigma Modulator:)View attachment 108860
Welcome to the PF.

We do not generally allow solutions to be posted in homework threads (except by the OP, of course), but this thread is several years old, so the OP has moved on.

Where did you get this simulation? Is it yours from your schoolwork? Or is it from some other source? Can you explain how it works?

What is a Delta-Sigma ADC?

A Delta-Sigma ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) is a type of analog-to-digital conversion technique that uses oversampling and noise shaping to achieve high resolution and accuracy.

How does a Delta-Sigma ADC work?

A Delta-Sigma ADC consists of two main parts: a delta-sigma modulator and a digital filter. The analog input signal is oversampled at a high frequency by the delta-sigma modulator, which converts the signal into a digital stream of 1s and 0s. The digital filter then processes this stream of data to produce a high-resolution digital output.

What are the advantages of using a Delta-Sigma ADC?

Some advantages of using a Delta-Sigma ADC include high resolution and accuracy, low cost, and low power consumption. It also has a simple design and can be easily integrated into electronic systems.

What are the limitations of a Delta-Sigma ADC?

One limitation of a Delta-Sigma ADC is its slow conversion rate, which may not be suitable for applications that require fast sampling rates. It also has a high sensitivity to noise and requires a complex digital filter for accurate conversion.

How can I simulate and breadboard a Delta-Sigma ADC?

To simulate and breadboard a Delta-Sigma ADC, you will need a delta-sigma modulator and a digital filter. You can use software simulation tools such as LTspice or MATLAB to design and simulate the circuit. Then, you can build the circuit on a breadboard using the required components and test its performance. It is important to carefully follow the design specifications and guidelines to ensure accurate simulation and breadboarding.