Delta Transformers on Wye Distribution System

In summary: Jim, you are right! I rechecked my data and big generators in my country are also impedance-grounded on regular basis. I don't know why but seems I confused generators data with HV power transformers...o:)
Josh111
Hopefully this has not already been asked. It would be hard to do a forum search with the right words to find it if it has been already.

I am wondering if it is ever possible or common place to generate power in a Wye generation scheme and then connect it directly to a transformer with a Delta primary.

If this is done, what would be the major setbacks.

Also, how would one MCOV ratings of elbow arrestors at the high side of a transformer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Josh111 said:
I am wondering if it is ever possible or common place to generate power in a Wye generation scheme and then connect it directly to a transformer with a Delta primary.
Possible of course.

That's how our central station main generator is connected to the main stepup transformer. Generator neutral was resistance grounded .

I don't know anything about the surge arrestors.

jim hardy said:
That's how our central station main generator is connected to the main stepup transformer. Generator neutral was resistance grounded .

I don't know anything about the surge arrestors.
I found this Addressing Ground Faults on MV Generators from our old friend, http://ecmweb.com/. They address advantages/disadvantages of Low & high impedance grounding and single & multiple point grounding. Then they show an optimal Hybrid grounding solution.

907ecmPQfig7.jpg
I Love their site. :approve:

Likes jim hardy
Big sync generators (Sn>50 MVA) I know of, are directly grounded (at least that's the practice in my country). However, I know case where a relatively small generator (Sn< 10 MVA) is grounded via quite a large Petersen coil.

zoki85 said:
Big sync generators (Sn>50 MVA) I know of, are directly grounded (at least that's the practice in my country). However, I know case where a relatively small generator (Sn< 10 MVA) is grounded via quite a large Petersen coil.

I find that surprising. The reason for the resistor is to limit current to just a few amps should a ground fault develop, so there's not an electrical explosion.
Our machine was 894MVA at 22kv. Ten amps at 22kv is of course 220KW so the grounding resistor was big as a pickup truck. A relay monitors the voltage across it and trips the unit in case of a ground fault.
That design pays off - at another plant somebody left a wrench inside the generator. When it fell shorting one terminal to frame the unit tripped on "ground fault" with no damage, just had to go in and retrieve the wrench.

jim hardy said:
I find that surprising. The reason for the resistor is to limit current to just a few amps should a ground fault develop, so there's not an electrical explosion.
Our machine was 894MVA at 22kv. Ten amps at 22kv is of course 220KW so the grounding resistor was big as a pickup truck. A relay monitors the voltage across it and trips the unit in case of a ground fault.
That design pays off - at another plant somebody left a wrench inside the generator. When it fell shorting one terminal to frame the unit tripped on "ground fault" with no damage, just had to go in and retrieve the wrench.
Jim, you are right! I rechecked my data and big generators in my country are also impedance-grounded on regular basis. I don't know why but seems I confused generators data with HV power transformers...o:)

1. What is a Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System?

A Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System is a type of transformer that is used to convert high-voltage electricity from a power plant to lower voltage levels for distribution to homes and businesses. The Delta configuration refers to the way the transformer is wired, with three primary and secondary windings connected in a triangular shape. This type of transformer is commonly used in three-phase systems.

2. How does a Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System work?

A Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. The three primary windings on the transformer are connected to the three-phase power source, while the three secondary windings are connected to the distribution lines. As the high-voltage electricity passes through the primary windings, it induces a current in the secondary windings, which then delivers the lower voltage electricity to the distribution system.

3. What are the advantages of using a Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System?

There are several advantages to using a Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System, including:

• Efficiency: Delta transformers are highly efficient, meaning that they can convert electricity with minimal energy loss.
  • Flexibility: The Delta configuration allows for the transformer to be connected in different ways to adapt to different voltage and load requirements.
  • Reliability: Delta transformers are known for their reliability and can withstand high levels of stress and overload.
  • Cost-effectiveness: Delta transformers are relatively inexpensive compared to other types of transformers.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of using a Delta Transformer on a Wye Distribution System?

While Delta Transformers on Wye Distribution Systems have many advantages, there are also some potential drawbacks to be aware of:

• Unbalanced load: If the load on the three phases is not evenly distributed, it can cause imbalances in the transformer, leading to increased stress and potential failure.
  • Harmonic distortion: Delta transformers can produce harmonic currents, which can cause issues with other equipment connected to the distribution system.
  • Higher voltage levels: Delta transformers can produce higher voltage levels, which may require additional protective measures to ensure safety.

5. How do I choose the right Delta Transformer for my Wye Distribution System?

Choosing the right Delta Transformer for a Wye Distribution System depends on several factors, including the voltage requirements, load demands, and potential future growth. It is essential to consult with a qualified electrical engineer to determine the right size and type of transformer for your specific system. They can also help ensure that the transformer is installed correctly and meets all safety standards and regulations.