Delta wing vs standard plane (Paper model)

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in flight performance between a common paper airplane and one that is designed to look like a standard 747. The person who made the paper planes noticed that the common design flies better and wonders why this is the case. It is suggested that the design of the 747-like paper plane may not be as efficient due to its lack of stiffness and larger wing area. It is also noted that the 747-like design experiences more drag and tends to have unstable flight. The conversation concludes by discussing the person's expectations that the paper dart design would have a better glide ratio compared to the 747-like design.
Frenemy90210
I made a few paper airplanes. I noticed that the common paper airplane (shown below)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/v29M7Oa1l-A/hqdefault.jpg
flies much further/better than paper planes that look like standard 747s. Any know why ?
I expected 747 like plane to be very efficient at generating the lift and hence fly better.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Show us a picture of your paper plane that looks like a 747?

Generally paper planes that look like real planes aren't as stiff as a paper dart so you can't put as much force into the launch. They tend to distort more causing drag or unstable flight.

The standard paper dart also makes quite efficient use of a sheet of paper - what I mean is that the wing area is typically larger than it would be if you made it look like a 747.

CWatters said:
Show us a picture of your paper plane that looks like a 747?
I don't have a pic with me. But it was a crude version of this : https://in.pinterest.com/pin/39899146671176394/
Generally paper planes that look like real planes aren't as stiff as a paper dart so you can't put as much force into the launch. They tend to distort more causing drag or unstable flight.

The standard paper dart also makes quite efficient use of a sheet of paper - what I mean is that the wing area is typically larger than it would be if you made it look like a 747.
This is why I used to think that Paper darts will have better glide ratio than the other one. Also I suspect "747 like" planes have huge drag compared to Delta paper dart since 747 like models just used to fall like a rock unlike smooth gliding paper wing.

1. What is the difference between a delta wing and a standard plane?

A delta wing is a triangular-shaped wing that is commonly used in high-speed aircraft, while a standard plane typically has a rectangular-shaped wing. The main difference between the two is the shape of the wing, which affects the aerodynamics and performance of the aircraft.

2. Which type of wing is more efficient for flying?

This depends on the specific design and purpose of the aircraft. Delta wings are more efficient for high-speed flight and maneuverability, while standard wings are more efficient for slower speeds and longer flights.

3. What are the advantages of a delta wing?

Delta wings provide better lift and stability at high speeds, as well as improved maneuverability and control. They also have a smaller surface area and can be designed to have low drag, making them more efficient for supersonic flight.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a delta wing?

One disadvantage of a delta wing is that it may not perform as well at lower speeds, such as during takeoff and landing. They also tend to have a higher stall speed, which can make them more difficult to control in certain situations. Additionally, the triangular shape of the wing can make it more challenging to design and manufacture.

5. Are delta wings used in commercial airplanes?

No, delta wings are not typically used in commercial airplanes. They are more commonly found in military aircraft, such as fighter jets, and in some high-speed experimental planes. Commercial airplanes typically use standard wings for their more efficient and stable flight characteristics.