Demonstration of Dirac equation covariance

In summary, the demonstrations of Dirac equation covariance state that to obtain covariance, the equation must be equal to its form in a new system under Lorentz transformation. This requires S and L to commute, which is achieved by multiplying both sides of the equation by S and taking the inverse of both sides. The S matrices act on the spinor indices while the L matrices act on the Lorentz indices, allowing them to commute. Writing out the indices explicitly can aid in understanding the proof.
Vilnius
Demonstrations of Dirac equation covariance state:

The Dirac equation is

[itex](i γ^{μ} ∂_{μ} - m)ψ(x) = 0. \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [1]

If coordinates change in a way that

[itex]x \rightarrow x' = Lx, \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [2]

where [itex]L[/itex] is a Lorentz transformation, [1] should mantain its form, obtaining in the new system:

[itex](i γ^{μ} ∂'_{μ} - m)ψ'(x') = 0, \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [3]

where

[itex]ψ'(x') = S(L)ψ(x) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [4]

and [itex]S(L)[/itex] is an invertible matrix rappresenting the fact [itex]ψ'(x')[/itex] should be a linear combination of [itex]ψ(x)[/itex] and should depend on [itex]L[/itex].

Remembering that from [2] stems

[itex]∂ \rightarrow ∂' = L^{-1}∂, \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [5]

and substituting [4] and [5] in [3] we obtain

[itex](i γ^{μ} L^{-1 ρ}_{μ} ∂_{ρ} - m)Sψ(x) = 0. \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [6]

Multiplying on the left for [itex]S^{-1}[/itex]:

[itex](i S^{-1} γ^{μ} L^{-1 ρ}_{μ} ∂_{ρ}S - m)ψ(x) = 0[/itex]

and because [itex]S[/itex] depends on [itex]L[/itex] that don't vary along coordinates

[itex](i S^{-1} γ^{μ} L^{-1 ρ}_{μ}S∂_{ρ} - m)ψ(x) = 0. \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [7]

To obtain covariance [7] must be equals to [1] so

[itex]S^{-1} γ^{μ} L^{-1 ρ}_{μ}S = γ^{ρ}.\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [8]

At this point all books state that [8] is equivalent to say

[itex]S^{-1} γ^{μ} S = L^{μ}_{ρ}γ^{ρ}.\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [9]

This requires [itex]S[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex] to commute.

I don' understand how it comes. They are both Lorentz transformations so not necessarly commute.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Vilnius said:
To obtain covariance [7] must be equals to [1] so

[itex]S^{-1} γ^{μ} L^{-1 ρ}_{μ}S = γ^{ρ}.\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ [/itex] [8]

I did not check it properly, but I suspect you just need to multiply both sides of [8] by S from the left and by [itex]S^{-1}[/itex] from the right and take the inverse of both sides.

Vilnius said:

I don' understand how it comes. They are both Lorentz transformations so not necessarly commute.

Note that S and L act on different indices. The S matrices act on the suppressed spinor indices, while the L matrices act on the explicit Lorentz indices. This is why they commute. It may help to write out the spinor indices explicitly, so that everything is in terms of sums over indices instead of matrix multiplications. If you write out all the indices explictly, then everything is just an number and you can rearrange the order of terms how you want. Then you can hit both sides with an L that will cancel the L^-1 on the left and give you what you want.

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons and quarks. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

2. What is covariance?

Covariance is a mathematical concept that refers to how a specific quantity changes with respect to another quantity. In the context of the Dirac equation, covariance refers to the invariance of the equation under certain transformations, such as Lorentz transformations.

3. Why is it important to demonstrate covariance of the Dirac equation?

Demonstrating covariance of the Dirac equation is important because it shows that the equation is consistent with the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics. It also allows for the accurate prediction and understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. How is the covariance of the Dirac equation demonstrated?

The covariance of the Dirac equation is typically demonstrated through mathematical proofs and calculations. This involves showing that the equation remains unchanged under certain transformations, such as rotations and boosts.

5. What are the implications of the Dirac equation's covariance?

The covariance of the Dirac equation has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It allows for the prediction of the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different reference frames, and has led to the development of technologies such as transistors and lasers.