Dense material safe for aquariums?

• Thread starter twofalafels777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
Emergent plants, or some terrestrial plants like pothos or lucky bamboo, can be grown partially submerged in the aquarium. In summary, the speaker wants to sink a tiny bottle with non-waterproof trinkets into their fish aquarium and is looking for material to help it sink. Suggestions include sealing the items in a plastic bag, using aquarium-safe stones, or using extra-dense materials like aquarium gravel or glass. Super-glue, polyurethane glue, and aquarium-grade silicon seal are also mentioned as potential options. The speaker also mentions the possibility of growing dry land plants in a concealed glass container underwater, and suggestions are given for how to achieve this.
twofalafels777
I want to sink a tiny glass air-filled, sealed bottle with trinkets into my nano fish aquarium. The items I want to put in the tiny bottle are not waterproof (bones, gems) or I would simply fill the bottle with water to sink it. What material can I add to the tiny bottle to help it sink? Fish-safe material preferred in case it breaks or leaches into the aquarium, but not necessary as I don't picture that happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try two things:
1) seal the items in a plastic bag to keep them dry. You can suck most of the air from the bag to reduce buoyancy.
2) tie the whole thing down with some kind of weight. An easy way do this is with a plastic bag or plastic wrap that should be pretty invisible when surrounded by water.

Do you have aquarium-safe stones? You could place the tiny bottle under a stone or among a cairn.

I'm basically trying to reverse nature -- I want dry land plants growing in a concealed glass container underwater. But I need something else extra-dense to add to it to help it sink! What are some extra dense materials that I can find easily?

Aquarium gravel, glass.

Avoid plastics unless they are stated as being aquarium safe, most plastics will leach out chemicals over time.
Avoid metals, except perhaps Gold or Platinum (others?), many will poison the water with metal ions.

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. If you can, please post photos of your results.

How about super-gluing it to the bottom?

Super-glue is often, or related to, cyanoacrylate. That is a skin irritant, causes serious eye damage, and is a suspected carcinogen.

Somehow, that seems incompatible with fish.

Superglue available to most people won't hold up too well long term in the water.
Cynaoacrylics intended for surgical use might work.
Hot glue from hot glue guns (looks like polyethylene) works fairly well in aquaria, but does not stick to a lot of things.
Polyurethan glues are water proof and resistant to long exposures, and stick real well. As manifested in the expanding foam insulation sealants they get used a lot on aquaria. Gorilla glue is a less foamy version. If it expands, it will probably be lighter than water.
Silicon aquarium sealer (as opposed to non-aquarium silicon sealer, which has things like anti-fugals in them that are bad for fish, biological filters, or both) will glue certain substances well, especially glass.

Tom.G said:
Aquarium gravel, glass.
I second these choices. Along with very non-water-reactive rocks.

Tom.G said:
Super-glue is often, or related to, cyanoacrylate. That is a skin irritant, causes serious eye damage, and is a suspected carcinogen.

Somehow, that seems incompatible with fish.
Superglue is used to close wounds, and I'm seeing no indication of it being a carcinogen.

The fish will not be breathing the fumes as it dries.

Tom.G said:
Avoid metals,
..., of course, until recently, aquarium plants were marketed with twist-ties of lead foil to hold the bundles together, and weight them down.
YMMV

Likes BillTre
I'm not sure how buoyant your trinket-trove will be, but many weighty materials won't be sufficient to keep it secured, except in bulk.

I'd tie it to a large flat rock with fishing line.
You could also glue it to the bottom (or the rock) with aquarium-grade silicon seal.

twofalafels777 said:
I'm basically trying to reverse nature -- I want dry land plants growing in a concealed glass container underwater.
Aren't plants net producers of oxygen? So wouldn't plants in a sealed container suffocate themselves for the opposite reason that we'd suffocate in the same environment?

Ibix said:
wouldn't plants in a sealed container suffocate themselves
He said "concealed" not "sealed".

It might be a challenge to provide land plants with the essentials to live on a continuing basis, but I don't rule it out.

You could get emergent plants which grow out of the water from being planted in the water.
Or there are a lot of plants that can grow completely out of the water, but are sold to be grown in the water (where they also survive).

Likes Klystron and DaveC426913
Ah you beat me to it.

Likes BillTre

1. What types of materials are considered "dense" and safe for aquariums?

Dense materials for aquariums include glass, acrylic, and specific types of plastics such as polycarbonate or polypropylene. These materials are sturdy and resistant to water damage.

2. Are there any materials that should be avoided for aquariums due to their density?

Materials that are too dense, such as metals or thick ceramics, should be avoided as they can be too heavy and may crack or break the aquarium glass. These materials can also cause harm to aquatic animals if they rust or leach chemicals into the water.

3. How do I know if a material is safe for my specific aquarium setup?

Before adding any new material to your aquarium, it is important to research and understand the specific needs of your aquatic animals. Some materials may be safe for freshwater tanks but not suitable for saltwater tanks. It is also important to consider the size and weight of the material in relation to your tank's capacity.

4. Can I use natural materials, such as rocks or wood, in my aquarium?

While natural materials may seem like a good option, they can be risky as they may contain harmful bacteria or chemicals that can harm your aquatic animals. If you choose to use natural materials, make sure to properly clean and sterilize them before adding them to your aquarium.

5. Is it safe to use materials that have been treated or painted in my aquarium?

Materials that have been treated or painted can be potentially harmful to aquatic animals as the chemicals may leach into the water. It is best to avoid using these types of materials in your aquarium and opt for natural or specifically designed aquarium-safe materials instead.