Density of States: 1-Dim Linear Phonons & Electrons Differences

In summary, the conversation discusses the procedure for calculating the density of states for 1-dimensional linear phonons with N atoms. It is noted that this is similar to the density of states for 1-dimensional electrons, except that two electrons can be in one state due to the Pauli exclusion principle. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the calculation, as the latter is described as a phonon case in Kittel's solid state physics. The person asking for help provides their procedure for calculating the density of states, and it is mentioned that this calculation only includes the spatial part and not the spin part.
cozycoz
I'm to get the density of states of 1-dim linear phonons, with N atoms. I think it's a lot similar to that of 1-dim electrons, except that two electrons are allowed to be in one state by Pauli exclusion principle. To elaborate,

##dN=\frac{dk}{\frac{2π}{a}}=\frac{a}{2π}dk## for phonons,

##dN=2⋅\frac{dk}{\frac{2π}{a}}=\frac{a}{π}dk## for electrons.

But in Kittel's solid state physics, the latter is described as a phonon case. What's wrong with my procedure?

Physics news on Phys.org
cozycoz said:
I'm to get the density of states of 1-dim linear phonons, with N atoms. I think it's a lot similar to that of 1-dim electrons, except that two electrons are allowed to be in one state by Pauli exclusion principle. To elaborate,

##dN=\frac{dk}{\frac{2π}{a}}=\frac{a}{2π}dk## for phonons,

##dN=2⋅\frac{dk}{\frac{2π}{a}}=\frac{a}{π}dk## for electrons.

But in Kittel's solid state physics, the latter is described as a phonon case. What's wrong with my procedure?
Are you sure ? My understanding is that two electrons are not allowed to be in one state by the Pauli exclusion principle

Mentz114 said:
Are you sure ? My understanding is that two electrons are not allowed to be in one state by the Pauli exclusion principle
?
I meant two electrons with two different spin types..up and down. That's why we should multiply 2 in electron case. What I calculated by ##\frac{dk}{\frac{2π}{a}}## is spatial part, not including spin part.

cozycoz said:
What's wrong with my procedure?
Hard to say if you don't post how you derived the density of states.

DrClaude said:
Hard to say if you don't post how you derived the density of states.
okay

I want to get how many phonon states(dN) are in [K, K+dK] in 1d K-space. For a state occupies small length ##\frac{2π}{a}## by periodic boundary condition,
##dN=\frac{dK}{\frac{2π}{a}}##.

1. What is density of states?

Density of states is a concept used in physics and chemistry to describe the number of energy states available in a given system. It is represented by the symbol "D" and is typically measured in units of energy per unit volume or energy per unit mass.

2. How is density of states related to 1-Dim linear phonons and electrons?

Density of states is used to describe the distribution of energy states for both 1-Dim linear phonons and electrons. In these systems, the density of states determines the number of available energy levels at a given energy, which is important for understanding the behavior of these particles.

3. What is the difference between density of states for phonons and electrons?

The main difference between density of states for phonons and electrons is the type of particles being described. Phonons are quantized lattice vibrations, while electrons are quantized particles with mass and charge. Additionally, the density of states for electrons is typically higher than that of phonons.

4. How is density of states used in electronic band structure calculations?

In electronic band structure calculations, density of states is used to determine the number of allowed electronic states at a given energy level. This information is used to construct the energy band diagram, which describes the distribution of energy levels for electrons in a material.

5. Can density of states be experimentally measured?

Yes, density of states can be experimentally measured using techniques such as spectroscopy and tunneling microscopy. These methods allow researchers to observe the energy levels and distribution of states in a material, providing valuable information about its electronic and vibrational properties.