Dependence of entropy and temperature on Planck's constant

In summary, according to Thomas Hartman's lecture notes on Quantum Gravity, the dependence of entropy and temperature on the reduced Planck's constant can be described by the following equations: S ∝ ℏ and T ∝ ℏ. This can be seen in the definitions of entropy in classical and quantum systems, where the presence of the reduced Planck's constant is evident in both equations. In classical systems, entropy is defined as a sum over probabilities, while in quantum systems, it is defined as a trace over the density matrix. It is not immediately clear how entropy and temperature are directly proportional to the reduced Planck's constant, but it is believed that the number of distinguishable microstates is related to the inverse of h, leading
spaghetti3451
Consider the dependence of entropy and of temperature on the reduced Planck's constant (taken from page 23 of Thomas Hartman's lecture notes(http://www.hartmanhep.net/topics2015/) on Quantum Gravity):

$$S \propto \hbar, \qquad \qquad T \propto \hbar.$$

I do not quite see how entropy can depend on the reduced Planck's constant. To give credence to my claim, consider the definition of (statistical) entropy in classical and in quantum systems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a classical system, the (statistical Gibbs) entropy for a macroscopic system (with a discrete set of microstates) is defined as

$$S = -k_\text{B}\,\sum_i p_i \ln \,p_i,$$

where ##k_{\text{B}}## is Boltzmann's constant and ##p_i## is the probability that the system is in microstate ##i## during the system's fluctuations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a quantum system, the (statistical von Neumann) entropy for a macroscopic system (with a discrete set of microstates) is defined as

$$S = -k_\text{B}\,\text{Tr}\ (\rho \ln \rho),$$

where ##k_{\text{B}}## is Boltzmann's constant and ##\rho## is the density matrix of the system.

How then does entropy depend on the reduced Planck's constant in quantum systems?

Why should temperature also depend on the reduced Planck's constant in quantum systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can see how the number of distinguishable miscrstates might be related to the inverse of h, but not directly proportional to it. (As h tends to zero the number of micro states would to infinity.)

1. What is the relationship between entropy and temperature?

The relationship between entropy and temperature is described by the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. As temperature increases, the entropy of the system also increases.

2. How does Planck's constant affect entropy and temperature?

Planck's constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It does not directly affect entropy and temperature, but it is a crucial factor in determining the energy levels of a system, which in turn affects its entropy and temperature.

3. What is the physical significance of Planck's constant?

Planck's constant is significant because it relates the discrete energy levels of a system to its observed physical properties. It also plays a role in determining the uncertainty of certain physical quantities, such as the position and momentum of a particle.

4. How does the value of Planck's constant impact entropy and temperature?

The value of Planck's constant, which is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule-seconds, is a fundamental constant that is used in numerous equations in physics. Its value does not directly impact entropy and temperature, but it is essential in calculations that involve these quantities.

5. Can the value of Planck's constant change over time?

According to current scientific understanding, Planck's constant is a constant and does not change over time. However, some theories suggest that it may have varied in the early universe or could potentially change in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole.