Dependency of phase space generator to differential distributions

In summary, the partonic system has a Lorentz boost applied to its momenta in the CM-system. The invariant mass is checked to ensure it is correct in the Lab frame.
minits
TL;DR Summary
Hello! I calculated the cross section of a scattering process myself and with a program to compare with. I then made histograms of differential distributions which were supposed to match, which they didn´t. I am now asking myself why they should match in the first place. Isn´t it totally dependent on the phase space generator one uses? (for both programs they are different)
I attatched an example plot where I created the histogram for the differential distribution with respect to the energy of the d-quark produced in the scattering process. My conception is that the phase space generator can "decide" how much of the available energy it assigns to the respective particles in the final state based on how it was programmed. So if you have two different phase space generators one could naturally assign different pairs of energy to the final state particles more ofter than the other or is this a misconception? Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Attachments

• dsigmaEd.png
    dsigmaEd.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 128
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the process, what did you use for the two distributions?

The process is u b < d t. Without using pdfs the distributions were basically the same Bit now with pdfs they are not anymore. I used mad analysis and a self written program (blue). Mine works in principle since I tested it without the pdfs

The answers should be equivalent.

If you use the same set if inputs to both calculations, there should be a “correct” answer (up to numerical uncertainties of the numerical integration procedure).

If the integration without the pdf convolution agrees (i.e. you get the same exact answer for a single phase space point as your comparison generator) then likely there is an issue in your pdf sampling.

Thanks! So I will have to look into this again. I was just wondering since I calculated the cross sections before with both programs and the results matched. Do you have any idea why that could be?

There are several point from me.

1) Please provide information such as is this proton-proton collision, at what center-of-mass energy, at which level you produced histograms (matrix element level, after parton shower with specific particle status number, ...), at which perturbation order (LO in QCD, NLO in QCD ...), if you used exactly same PDF set. Currently, there should be too many guesses here. It will be difficult to you to get useful answer.

2) For me, the point that you got agreement in the cross section but difference in kinematic shape is difficult to understand too. Are they total cross sections using all possible Bjoken scale x values? Are both cross-sections calculated using the Monte-Carlo (MC) method?

3) If your distributions are from the matrix element level, I would check transverse momentum of d + t which should be zero.

Likes mfb
Thank you for your response! Regarding the points you mentioned:

1) it is a proton-proton collision at 1TeV center of mass energy. Histograms are on matrix element level the process is in LO and I used the same pdf set for both calculations

2) Yes, x may take all the values from 0 to 1 and both cross sections were calculated via MC methods

3) I checked the transverse momentum, it is zero.

Okay great.

I am sorry but I have no idea what is the reason.
Regarding your answer, effect of all possible scenarios that I can think of should be propagated into cross section difference, where cross sections are calculated using MC method with error depending on number of generated events.

Hi,

I have found the error. The problem is that I have been in the wrong reference frame.

Maybe you could help me with solving this problem.
The four-momenta in the initial state have the following form:
$$p_1=(x_1\cdot\frac{\sqrt{s}}{2},0,0,x_1\cdot\frac{\sqrt{s}}{2})
p_2=(x_2\cdot\frac{\sqrt{s}}{2},0,0,-x_2\cdot\frac{\sqrt{s}}{2})$$

The routine that generates the final state momenta produces them in the CM-system. What should the Lorentz-boost look like to boost them in the right system? It must be a boost in the z-direction so I took a usual boost matrix for this direction. However, I am not confident with the v-vector that is part of the gamma factor. I said it should read
$$v=(x_1+x_2,0,0,x_1-x_2)$$
since adding up the ##p_1## and ##p_2## this would be the difference to the initial frame without the bjorken scalings but I am not very confident about it.

good luck an w.h.o. is the lucky 2

I would recommend that you implement this boost into your code.

1) generate the momenta in the CoM frame as you are doing.
2) apply the resultant boost to both p1 and p2
3) print the boosted (Lab frame momenta) and compare them to what you expect (i.e. p1_Lab = x1 Ehadron (1, 0, 0, 1), p2_Lab )

they should be consistent to the numerical precision of the implementation. You can also construct the invariant mass of your partonic system to make sure it is indeed the correct (and invariant one) in the Lab frame.

1. What is the phase space generator and how does it relate to differential distributions?

The phase space generator is a tool used in theoretical physics and mathematics to describe the possible states of a physical system. It is closely related to differential distributions, which are mathematical functions used to represent the distribution of a physical quantity over a range of values. The phase space generator helps to determine the range of values that a physical quantity can take on, which is essential for calculating differential distributions.

2. How does the phase space generator affect the accuracy of differential distributions?

The accuracy of differential distributions is heavily dependent on the phase space generator used. A more precise and comprehensive phase space generator will result in more accurate differential distributions. This is because the phase space generator determines the range of values that the physical quantity can take on, which directly affects the accuracy of the differential distribution.

3. Can the phase space generator be used for any physical system?

Yes, the phase space generator is a universal tool that can be used for any physical system. It is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics and mathematics and is applicable to a wide range of physical systems, from simple particles to complex systems such as black holes.

4. How does the phase space generator account for uncertainties in physical systems?

The phase space generator takes into account uncertainties in physical systems by incorporating probabilistic distributions. This means that instead of calculating a single value for a physical quantity, the phase space generator calculates a range of possible values and their probabilities. This allows for a more accurate representation of the uncertainties in a physical system.

5. Are there different types of phase space generators?

Yes, there are various types of phase space generators, each with its own specific applications and methods. Some examples include the Monte Carlo method, which uses random sampling to generate phase space points, and the grid-based method, which divides the phase space into a grid and calculates the values at each grid point. The choice of phase space generator depends on the specific needs and constraints of the physical system being studied.