Depletion region capacitance in MOSFET

In summary: This is in accordance with the traditional capacitor sense, where one plate is positive and one is negative. However, in some schematics, the positive charges may be shown on top and the negative charges on the bottom, which can be confusing. In summary, the Cdep capacitor is formed by the gate and the depletion region of the MOSFET, with the gate being positively charged and the depletion region being negatively charged.
CoolDude420
Homework Statement
Hi,

This isn't a homework question. I was reading the book "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits" by Behzad Razavi, in particular the section about the turn-on physics of a MOSFET (enhancement-mode)
Relevant Equations
N/A
1614733029646.png

1614732959095.png

1614733008496.png
I would like to ask about the behavior of a MOSFET as a capacitor, particularly at the onset of inversion/weak inversion - see Fig 2.6(c)
  • At this stage in Fig 2.6(c), there is positive charge at the gate metal/poly contact, then an insulator oxide and then negative ions (positive holes have been repelled, this region is the depletion region) - this is the Cox capacitor in the schematic overlaying.
  • My confusion is regarding the Cdep - depletion region capacitor. What are the two 'plates' or regions of charge accumulation that form the Cdep capacacitor? I assume one is the negative ions (sharing a plate with Cox) and the other is the repelled positive holes. But then, if you see my drawn schematic, that doesn't make sense, since the + charges are on top and negative ions should be on top?
Can someone explain to me how Razavi is extrapolating from the device physics that there is a Cdep capacitance? What are the two regions of charge (the "plates" in traditional capacitor sense) that form Cdep? Is one 'plate' shared with Cox? If it is, then my schematic of the + and - charge doesn't make sense anymore?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Cdep capacitor refers to the depletion region of the MOSFET. The two plates of the capacitor are the gate metal/poly contact (which is positively charged) and the bottom of the depletion region (which is negatively charged). The depletion region is formed when negative ions (positive holes) are repelled away from the gate. This creates a barrier of negative charge between the gate and the source/drain, and this is what forms the depletion region capacitor. The positive charges are on top of the capacitor, while the negative ions are on the bottom.

1. What is a depletion region in a MOSFET?

The depletion region in a MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a region of reduced charge carriers, formed by the electric field between the gate and the channel. It is created when a voltage is applied to the gate, causing the depletion of majority carriers (electrons or holes) in the channel.

2. How does the depletion region affect the capacitance of a MOSFET?

The depletion region acts as a dielectric material between the gate and the channel, resulting in a capacitor-like structure. The capacitance of a MOSFET is directly proportional to the size of the depletion region, which is controlled by the gate voltage. As the gate voltage increases, the depletion region expands, leading to an increase in capacitance.

3. What is depletion region capacitance in a MOSFET?

Depletion region capacitance in a MOSFET refers to the capacitance between the gate and the channel, caused by the depletion region. It is an important parameter in MOSFET design as it affects the switching speed and power consumption of the device.

4. How is depletion region capacitance calculated?

Depletion region capacitance is calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric (in this case, the depletion region), A is the area of the capacitor plates (gate and channel), and d is the distance between the plates (width of the depletion region). It can also be calculated using the MOSFET's device parameters, such as the gate oxide capacitance and the depletion region width.

5. How does the depletion region capacitance affect the performance of a MOSFET?

The depletion region capacitance has a significant impact on the performance of a MOSFET. A larger capacitance means that more charge is required to switch the device, resulting in a slower switching speed. It also leads to higher power consumption and can affect the device's frequency response. Therefore, minimizing the depletion region capacitance is crucial in optimizing the performance of a MOSFET.