Depth using Work, Weight, Height

In summary, a diver weighing 784 N falls from a diving board that is 13.6 m above the surface of a pool. The pool does -12290 J of work on the diver. To find the depth reached by the diver, the equation W=F*d can be used. However, this may not be the most accurate approach as it neglects other forces such as buoyancy and friction. The correct approach would involve using two equations, one relating the work done by the water to the distance dived and another relating the buoyant force to the kinetic energy of the diver when they hit the surface. Ultimately, the problem gives the total work done on the diver by the water, which is ∫F(d)dd,
randomjunebug

Homework Statement

A diver weighing 784 N stands on a diving board 13.6 m above the surface of a pool. The diver steps off the edge and falls into the pool. The pool does -12290 J of work on the diver. How far below the surface of the pool (depth) does the diver reach?

Homework Equations

W=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I think maybe it is as simple as this: Work is done by water. Weight is the Force of the diver going straight down. Therefore: Work of water = Force of weight * unknown d. -12290/784 = 15.68 m. Is this correct? Or a better way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I am not sure about your way of solving it. Initially I was thinking, it sounds OK, but the result seems unrealistic? At least from my own experience with diving.It is also possible, you could find the speed, the diver hits the water with.

Then find the deacceleration of the water from the energy it does on the diver. Thus calculating the distance.

randomjunebug said:

Homework Statement

A diver weighing 784 N stands on a diving board 13.6 m above the surface of a pool. The diver steps off the edge and falls into the pool. The pool does -12290 J of work on the diver. How far below the surface of the pool (depth) does the diver reach?
Is this a textbook question or a question you made yourself?
The force exerted by the water should not be equal to the weight of the diver(If so,he would move down with the same speed as before,without slowing down)
Also,as he slows down,the force exerted by the water becomes smaller and smaller.

What is the force the pool exerts on the diver? (Ignore friction forces).

randomjunebug said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

W=F*d

I think maybe it is as simple as this: Work is done by water. Weight is the Force of the diver going straight down. Therefore: Work of water = Force of weight * unknown d. -12290/784 = 15.68 m. Is this correct? Or a better way to do this?

The force exerted on the diver is not just his/her weight. If you hold a light (assume zero mass) object under water, what is the force pushing it up?

P.S. the answer is a lot less than 15.68m! Like, not too much more than 10% of that.

Last edited:
rude man said:
The force exeeted on the diver is not just his/her weight. If you hold a light (assume zero mass) object under water, what is the force pushing it up?
Rude man!By looking at the information given in the OP,this can't be found.

And also,the force exerted on the diver can't be the diver's weight.The force is proportional to his Speed.

adjacent said:
Rude man!By looking at the information given in the OP,this can't be found.

And also,the force exerted on the diver can't be the diver's weight.The force is proportional to his Speed.

If you neglect friction it can be found. So the force is not a function of his speed. The problem should admittedly have imposed that condition (no friction).

You seem to completely ignore the main force of the water on the diver: buoyancy. Neglecting friction, the only forces acting on the diver underwater are buoyancy and gravity.

rude man said:
You seem to completely ignore the main force of the water on the diver: buoyancy. Neglecting friction, the only forces acting on the diver underwater are buoyancy and gravity.
I know you are talking about the Archimedes Principle.

But how can you find buoyancy?Diver's volume is not given.

adjacent said:

You don't need the volume.
Let W = diver's weight

Two equations:
eq. 1: buoyant force Fb * distance dived d = work done by water
eq. 2: (Fb - W)d = kinetic energy when diver hits the surface

2 equations, 2 unknowns: Fb and d.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
randomjunebug said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

W=F*d

Your method is fine, and yes it is that simple. But how exactly are you defining d here?

adjacent said:

@adjacent, it dawned on me later that it doesn't really matter what the nature of the forces is that the water exerts on the diver. It can be buoyancy, friction, whatever, and it doesn't have to be constant with d. The problem gives the total work done on the diver by the water, which is ∫F(d)dd. So in my equations in post 9, Fbd is really the work done by the water as given in the problem and should be generalized to ∫Fw(d)dd = 12,290 J where "w" stands for water and Fw is the instantaneous force on the diver in the water for all reasons, not just buoyancy.

rude man said:
@adjacent, it dawned on me later that it doesn't really matter what the nature of the forces is that the water exerts on the diver. It can be buoyancy, friction, whatever, and it doesn't have to be constant with d. The problem gives the total work done on the diver by the water, which is ∫F(d)dd. So in my equations in post 9, Fbd is really the work done by the water as given in the problem and should be generalized to ∫Fw(d)dd = 12,290 J where "w" stands for water and Fw is the instantaneous force on the diver in the water for all reasons, not just buoyancy.
So you agree the method in the OP is ok?

haruspex said:
So you agree the method in the OP is ok?

Yes, mutatis mutandis, i.e. when d includes the height above water. That equation is then identical to mine.

Hey all thanks for the attempts and guidance. My professor gave us all a solution guide to this because no one got it 100% correct.
height of diver = height of tower + depth of water
therefore, depth of water = height of diver - height of tower
Formula for height of diver can be found using PE = mgh
depth of water = height of diver = PE diver/wt of diver - height of tower
depth of water = -(Work of water)/wt of diver - height of tower
depth of water = -(-12290J)/(784N) - (13.6 m) = 2.076 meters

Honestly I hate his method and if someone can walk me through this 'guide' I would really appreciate it.

This is indeed a ridiculously long explanation.
Here's the scoop:

Diver dives from a height of 13.6m to a depth of x meters.
So the total potential energy lost is mg(13.6 + x) = 784(h+x).
But if he had dived thru thin air he would have had a kinetic energy of just that: k.e. = 784(h+x).
So the fact that he had ZERO k.e. when he hit depth x meant that the water took all that amount of k.e. from him.
So 784(h+x) = work done by water = 12,290J.

Solve for x: x = 2.08m.

1. How does work affect the depth of an object?

The amount of work applied to an object has a direct effect on its depth. The more work that is done on an object, the deeper it will go. This is because work is the measure of the energy transferred to an object, and the more energy it has, the more it can overcome resistance and sink deeper.

2. How does weight impact the depth of an object?

The weight of an object also plays a role in determining its depth. Heavier objects will generally sink deeper than lighter objects, as they have more mass and therefore more force acting on them. However, factors such as shape and buoyancy can also affect the depth of an object.

3. Does the height of an object affect its depth?

The height of an object can indirectly affect its depth. Objects with a greater height will have a larger surface area, which can increase the amount of resistance they face as they sink. This can slow down their descent and result in a shallower depth compared to objects with a smaller height.

4. How can the depth of an object be calculated using work, weight, and height?

The depth of an object can be calculated using the formula: Depth = Work / (Weight x Height). This formula takes into account the amount of work done on the object, its weight, and its height to determine its depth. However, this formula only provides an estimate as other factors such as water density and object shape can also influence depth.

5. Can the depth of an object be changed by altering its work, weight, or height?

Yes, the depth of an object can be changed by altering any of these factors. Increasing the work done on an object, increasing its weight, or decreasing its height can all result in a deeper depth. Similarly, decreasing the work, weight, or increasing the height can result in a shallower depth.