DEQ/Calculus (FTC) Question Simplifying Nonintegrable Function

In summary: I don't know if this is standard or if this is a special case for this particular equation. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up!In summary, the student is having trouble understanding the solution to a DEQ equation. They are able to solve the equation using the variation of parameters technique, but when it comes to simplifying the integral they are lost. The equation appears to be in the form y'=-e^{2t}g(t), and using the theorem of variation of parameters yields Y(t)=-e^{2t}\
Fish Sauce

Homework Statement

Greetings,

I am having trouble understanding the solution to this DEQ equation. I am able to solve the equation using the variation of parameters technique, however, when it comes to simplifying the integral I am lost. It appears they are using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to simplify the integral, but I am confused as to how this is done?

Homework Equations

1) Original DEQ equation:

[itex]
y''-5y'+6y=g(t)
[/itex]

2) Solving the characteristic equation of the homogenous equation yields:

[itex]
y_{H}=c_{1}e^{2t}+c_{2}e^{3t}
[/itex]

3) Solving for [itex]y_{1}, y'_{1}, y_{2}, y'_{2}[/itex], and the Wronskian, and plugging into the theorem of variation of parameters yields:

[itex]
Y(t)=-e^{2t}\int{\frac{e^{3t}g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt}+e^{3t}\int{\frac{e^{2t}g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt}
[/itex]

4) Simplified:

[itex]
Y(t)=-e^{2t}\int{e^{-2t}g(t)dt}+e^{3t}\int{e^{-3t}g(t)dt}
[/itex]

5) BUT, Texbook Solution:

[itex]
Y(t)=\int{[e^{3(t-s)}-e^{2(t-s)}]g(s)ds}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, my problem is how to get from 4) to 5)? I realize they probably applied the FTC, but I am not clear on how to use this to derive the solution in the textbook? The farthest I can get is as below:

[itex]
Y(t)=-e^{2t}\int_{0}^{s}{e^{-2t}g(t)dt}+e^{3t}\int_{0}^{s}{e^{-3t}g(t)dt}
[/itex]

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just throwing out a guess, but perhaps the book used Laplace Transforms since it introduced s into the solution and was able to make the answer look a little neater.

While that is possible, I don't think they used a LaPlace transform since that topic is not introduced until section 6 of the textbook and this problem is from section 3.

Therefore, I'm still under the assumption that they are using the fundamental theorem of calculus to somehow simplify the integral, but I don't know how to do this?

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Hi Fish Sauce! Fishy welcome to PF! :smile:
Fish Sauce said:
[itex]
Y(t)=-e^{2t}\int{\frac{e^{3t}g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt}+e^{3t}\int{\frac{e^{2t}g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt}
[/itex]

No no no no noooo :cry:

you can't have the same variable (t) inside the integral and outside it …

the inside variable is a "dummy" variable, and disappears on the integration …

use s inside this integral instead of t, and put t (and 0) as the limit :wink:

No, Laplace transforms are not relevant here. But be careful about the "variable of integration", also called the "dummy variable" is important!

If you have the variable "t" for functions outside the integration, and want the result of the integral to be in terms of "t", it is a very bad idea to use "t" for the "dummy" variable of integration. If you write
[tex]-e^{-2t}\int \frac{e^{2t}g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt[/tex]
there is a grave danger that you will (mistakenly) take the "[itex]e^{-2t}[/itex] inside the integral to get
[tex]-\int \frac{g(t)}{e^{5t}}dt[/tex]
which is, of course, incorrect.

Instead, use t outside the integral and, say, "s" for the "dummy" variable:
[tex]-e^{-2t}\int \frac{e^{2s}g(x)}{e^{5s}}ds[/tex]
to make the difference explicit. To make it clear that you want the integral to be written as a function of t, you can make the upper limite "t":
[tex]-e^{-2t}\int_a^t \frac{e^{2s}g(x)}{e^{5s}}ds[/tex]
where the lower limit, a, can be any thing you want- that only affects the choice of "constant of integration". Here you only want a single solution to the entire equation so you can choose "a" to be anything you want. In this example, they chose it to be 0.

Hi tiny-tim and HallsofIvy,

Thank you for the help.

Following the advice, my solution now looks like this?

[itex]
Y(t)=-e^{2t}\int_{0}^{t}{e^{-2s}g(s)ds}+e^{3t}\int_{0}^{t}{e^{-3s}g(s)ds}
[/itex]

Assuming the answer above is correct, how does this simplify to this form?

[itex]
Y(t)=\int{[e^{3(t-s)}-e^{2(t-s)}]g(s)ds}
[/itex]

Hi Fish Sauce! :smile:

Just shove that t stuff through the ∫ …

it's a constant (relative to s), so you can do that. :wink:

Thank you tiny-tim.

I did not consider t as a constant relative to the s integral. But since t is considered a constant (since it is not a function of s) then I can see how it can be moved inside the integral.

Thank you all for your help!

That's an interesting method I never saw before; very nice!

I did want to mention one thing...
tiny-tim said:
Fish Sauce said:
[itex]
[/itex]

No no no no noooo :cry:

you can't have the same variable (t) inside the integral and outside it …

I've always seen functions of t placed directly in front of integrals like that when using variation of parameters. The general formula usually has y instead of something explicitly with the variable t, but I know in diff eq class, we put the actual function y in front of the integral in parentheses...

Related to DEQ/Calculus (FTC) Question Simplifying Nonintegrable Function

1. What is DEQ/Calculus (FTC)?

DEQ/Calculus (FTC) stands for Differential Equations and Calculus (Fundamental Theorem of Calculus). It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation, and how they are related.

2. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC)?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus (FTC) states that the integral of a function f(x) is equal to the difference of its antiderivative evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. In other words, it provides a way to calculate the area under a curve by evaluating its antiderivative.

3. What is a nonintegrable function?

A nonintegrable function is a function that cannot be integrated using standard integration techniques, such as the power rule or substitution. These functions often involve special functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions, or have complicated forms that do not have a known antiderivative.

4. Why is simplifying nonintegrable functions important?

Simplifying nonintegrable functions is important because it allows us to find an approximate solution to a problem that would otherwise be impossible to solve. By simplifying a nonintegrable function, we can often reduce it to a form that can be integrated using standard techniques, making it easier to work with and providing us with a more accurate solution.

5. How can I simplify a nonintegrable function?

There is no one set method for simplifying nonintegrable functions, as it often depends on the specific function in question. However, some common techniques include using trigonometric identities, partial fraction decomposition, and substitution. It is also important to recognize patterns and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the function as much as possible before attempting to integrate it.