Derivation of equation of motion from various forces.

In summary, the problem involves a particle with mass m being acted on by various forces. The equations must be solved to find the motion of the particle in each case. Part (a) is a simple non-homogeneous 2nd order ODE, while the others are more complex and non-linear. The variables on which F is dependent may affect the solutions, and there may be a method for solving these types of ODEs. In part (b), the solution for x(t) involves a messy integral. In part (c), the force is proportional to the speed, but with an initial speed of zero, the particle may not move at all. The goal is to solve for x(t) in each case.
Holychikenz

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is acted on by the forces as given below. Solve these equations
to find the motion of the particle in each case.

(a) F(x, t) = k(x + t2), with x = x0 and v = v0 = 0 when t = 0;
(b) F(x', t) = kx^2 x', with x = x0 and v = v0 = 0 when t = 0;
(c) F(x', t) = k(ax'+ t), with v = v0 when t = 0;
(d) F(x, x') = ax^2/x';
(e) F(x, x', t) = k(x + x't).

(a) I didn't have any trouble with as it was just a simple non homogeneous 2nd order ODE. The others to me seemed nonlinear and very difficult for some reason. I'm wondering how the variables which F is dependent on might affect the problems and if there is some method for solving these kinds of ODE's. Also my professor said that for each one to solve for x(t).

Physics news on Phys.org
In part (b) I get as far as solving for v(t), but to solve for x(t) I'm left with the integral of (1/(x^3 + x0^3)). Is very messy and ends up being tan-1(some function of x) + ln(another function of x). Because of that I can't solve for just x in terms of only t.

For part (b), what is F(t=0)?...If the force on the particle is proportional to the speed, and its initial speed is zero, will the particle ever actually go anywhere?

Related to Derivation of equation of motion from various forces.

1. What is the equation of motion?

The equation of motion is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time.

2. How is the equation of motion derived from various forces?

The equation of motion is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. By considering all the forces acting on an object, we can derive the equation of motion using this fundamental law.

3. What are the different types of forces that can affect an object's motion?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces can act on an object individually or in combination, resulting in a net force that affects the object's motion.

4. Can the equation of motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the equation of motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. As long as the forces acting on an object can be identified and their effects can be quantified, the equation of motion can be used to describe the object's motion.

5. How is the equation of motion used in real-world applications?

The equation of motion is used in many real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing structures, predicting the trajectory of objects, and understanding the behavior of moving systems. It is also crucial in fields like physics, engineering, and aerospace to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects.