Derivation of exact differential

In summary, the exact differential of a scalar function f can be represented as ∇f⋅dr=Σ∂ifdxi (where dr is a vector). When integrating this equation, the resulting equation is true due to the linearity of integration. However, it is important to note that the scalar function f is not the sum of its derivatives, but rather the result of comparing, eradicating constants, and merging equations. This can be seen by considering the example of f = xy, where the resulting gradient is not the sum of its derivatives.
kidsasd987
Exact differential of a scalar function f takes the form of

∇f⋅dr=Σ∂ifdxi (where dr is a vector)
f:R->Rnand I am not sure why this equation is valid in the sense that if we integrate the equation,

∫∇f⋅dr=∫{Σ∂ifdxi}
∫df=∫{Σ∂ifdxi}

the above equation is true because integration is a linear operator, and if we think of R.H.S only,

∫{Σ∂1fdx1}+∫{Σ∂i≠1fdxi≠1}
=f+c(x2,x3...,xn)+∫{Σ∂i≠1fdxi≠1}

and if we think of each integration of differential w.r.t variable x1,x2,x3 and so on, it should generate f+c respectively as the result of each integration.

therefore R.H.S has to be

nf+C(x1,x2,x3...,xn) but according to textbook, it says we don't add up each integration but we compare them to eradicate constants and "merge" each equation to one right answer, f.

I am a little bit confused about how to interpret the integration within the quotation mark ∫df="∫"{Σ∂ifdxi} because it seems it is linearly applied to each of partial differential, but does not spit out nf(n number of partial differentials so there must be n number of integrations on them so adding them up would give nf+C(x1,x2,x3...,xn)

Please enlighten me. I would really appreciate

Physics news on Phys.org
As you noted, the gradient operator takes a scalar in R and gives a vector in $$R^n$$ and each derivative of f in the sum gives a component of the resulting vector. The key here is that the differential operators all act on f and they act differently. For instance you can have f = xy, taking the 2D gradient gives df/dx = y and df/dy = x. The scalar function f that produces the derivative is not the sum of derivatives which is 2*xy but is instead f = xy. This is what the book means by compare, eradicate and merge. You know there must be an xy term from integrating the x derivative and similarly for the y derivative but the result is not their sum in this case, you can test this by differentiating it again to see if it gives the same gradient.

Related to Derivation of exact differential

1. What is the definition of an exact differential?

An exact differential is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to describe a function whose total derivative is equal to the sum of its partial derivatives. In other words, the change in the function with respect to one variable is independent of the other variables.

2. How is an exact differential different from an inexact differential?

An inexact differential is a function whose total derivative is not equal to the sum of its partial derivatives. This means that the change in the function with respect to one variable is affected by the other variables, making it non-exact.

3. What is the significance of exact differentials in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, exact differentials are used to describe state functions, such as internal energy and entropy. These functions are independent of the path taken to reach a certain state, making them exact differentials.

4. How is the exact differential related to the concept of a closed path?

In multivariable calculus, a closed path is a path that starts and ends at the same point. In terms of exact differentials, if a function is exact, the line integral around a closed path will always be zero.

5. Can every function be expressed as an exact differential?

No, not every function can be expressed as an exact differential. The function must satisfy certain conditions, such as being continuous and having continuous partial derivatives, in order to be considered exact.