Is the Equation for Integrating an Exact Differential Correct?

In summary: If we do definite integration over a curve ##C## of the xy plane then the equation holds as##\int_C df=\int_Cf_xdx+\int_C f_ydy## or equivalently##f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_0,y_0)=\int_C f_x dx +\int_C f_y dy## (1)where ##(x_0,y_0)## an ##(x_1,y_1)## are the end points of the curve C and ##f_x=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, f_y=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}##. Notice that the two integrals at the RHS of (1) are
Cathr
Let's say we have ##df=2xy^3dx + 3x^2y^2dy## - this is an exact differential.
In integrating, to find f, can we write ## f = \int 2xy^3 \, dx + \int 3x^2y^2 \, dy = 2x^2y^3 + C ##
Or am I getting it wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We can write it (as you demonstrate)

Only thing that's wrong is the 2 in ##2x^2y^3## :smile:

BvU said:
We can write it (as you demonstrate)

Only thing that's wrong is the 2 in ##2x^2y^3## :smile:

Why? This result is exactly the sum of what we get from the integrals, we get ##x^2y^3## two times... don't we?

Cathr said:
Why? This result is exactly the sum of what we get from the integrals, we get x2y3x2y3x^2y^3 two times... don't we?

Because if you take the differential of ##2x^2y^3## you don't get your starting differential. In fact ##df = \frac {\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dy## and if you put ##2x^2y^3## inside the equation you would get ##df = 4xy^3dx + 6x^2y^2dy## instead of ##df = 2xy^3dx + 3x^2y^2dy##.

I think (personal opinion) this
Cathr said:
can we write f=∫2xy3dx+∫3x2y2dy
is a misleading way to write it. You may integrate in the wrong way the function.

dRic2 said:
Because if you take the differential of ##2x^2y^3## you don't get your starting differential. In fact ##df = \frac {\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dy## and if you put ##2x^2y^3## inside the equation you would get ##df = 4xy^3dx + 6x^2y^2dy## instead of ##df = 2xy^3dx + 3x^2y^2dy##.

I think (personal opinion) this

is a misleading way to write it. You may integrate in the wrong way the function.

I see. I think the problem is I don't really understand what we do with the ##\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dy## part when we integrate with respect to x. Even if it is a dy differential, it still depends of x, but we say it's a constant.
I guess the right way to do it is to ignore the dy part when we integrate with respect to x, and add a constant depending on y, then integrate the dy part and add a C(x). Then to say ##x^2y^3 + C(x) = x^2y^3 + C(y) ## Then it works, but to me it still seems a bit confusing.

Cathr said:
I see. I think the problem is I don't really understand what we do with the ##\frac {\partial f}{\partial y}dy## part when we integrate with respect to x. Even if it is a dy differential, it still depends of x, but we say it's a constant.
I guess the right way to do it is to ignore the dy part when we integrate with respect to x, and add a constant depending on y, then integrate the dy part and add a C(x). Then to say ##x^2y^3 + C(x) = x^2y^3 + C(y) ## Then it works, but to me it still seems a bit confusing.

You need to take a step back and look at what is actually happening here. The differentials themselves are something of a nice shortcut, but you can get into trouble if you try to deconstruct things from them. So:

We have a function ##f(x, y)## of these two variables. We know that:

##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy = 2xy^3 dx + 3x^2y^2 dy##

This gives us a couple of differential equations for ##f##:

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2xy^3##

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 3x^2y^2##

Now, we can integrate each of these to give:

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C_1(y)##

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C_2(x)##

Where ##C_1, C_2## are any functions of a single variable.

From this we see that ##C_1(y) = C_2(x)##. There is now a simple but powerful argument (can you see it?) that:

##C_1(y) = C_2(x) = C##

For some constant ##C##. And therefore:

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C##

Last edited:
Likes BvU
PeroK said:
You need to take a step back and look at what is actually happening here. The differentials themselves are something of a nice shortcut, but you can get into trouble if you try to deconstruct things from them. So:

We have a function ##f(x, y)## of these two variables. We know that:

##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy = 2xy^3 dx + 3x^2y^2 dy##

This gives us a couple of differential equations for ##f##:

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2xy^3##

##\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 3x^2y^2##

Now, we can integrate each of these to give:

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C_1(y)##

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C_2(x)##

Where ##C_1, C_2## are any functions of a single variable.

From this we see that ##C_1(x) = C_2(y)##. There is now a simple but powerful argument (can you see it?) that:

##C_1(x) = C_2(y) = C##

For some constant ##C##. And therefore:

##f(x, y) = x^2y^3 + C##

Thank you! Now it's crystal clear :)

if we do definite integration over a curve ##C## of the xy plane then the equation holds as
##\int_C df=\int_Cf_xdx+\int_C f_ydy## or equivalently

##f(x_1,y_1)-f(x_0,y_0)=\int_C f_x dx +\int_C f_y dy## (1)

where ##(x_0,y_0)## an ##(x_1,y_1)## are the end points of the curve C and ##f_x=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, f_y=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}##. Notice that the two integrals at the RHS of (1) are integrals over the curve ##C## and not necessarily over the straight line from ##x_0## to ##x_1## (over the x-axis, which is the "default curve" when we integrate over x) or the line from ##y_0## to ##y_1## (over the y-axis which is the default curve when we integrate over y). Ofcourse we can choose the curve C to be anything we want, and if we choose it to be the straight line over the x-axis from ##x_0## to ##x_1## then the second term of (1) will be zero because y doesn't vary over this curve C. Similarly if we choose the curve C to be the straight line over the y-axis from ##y_0## to ##y_1## then the first term of (1) will be zero because x doesn't vary over that curve C.

If we do indefinite integration then the equation just doesn't hold otherwise we ll get the absurd result that ##f=2f##. To be more precise when we do indefinite integration ##\int df=\int f_x dx+\int f_y dy ## we have to (silently) choose the variable of integration which if we choose to be x, then one integral (the ##\int f_x dx## ) will give f and the other will give zero (because when we choose the variable of integration to be x, it means that only x varies and that y doesn't vary at all so it is like integrating y from ##y_0## to ##y_0## that is taking the integral ##\int_{y_0}^{y_0}f_ydy## which is by definition zero), so the equation will be ##\int df=\int f_x dx+0 \Rightarrow f=f##.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of integrating a differential?

Integrating a differential is a mathematical technique used to find the original function when only the derivative is known. It is also used to solve various problems in physics and engineering, such as finding the position of an object given its velocity.

2. How is integration related to differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Integration is the reverse of differentiation, and vice versa. This means that integrating a differential allows us to find the original function that was differentiated, and differentiating an integrated function will give us the original function back.

3. What are the different methods of integrating a differential?

The most commonly used methods of integration are the substitution method, integration by parts, and partial fractions. Other methods include trigonometric substitution, using tables of integrals, and numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule and Simpson's rule.

4. What are the applications of integrating a differential in real life?

Integrating differentials has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and work done, as well as to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and probability.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a differential?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a differential include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong substitution, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully check the solution and differentiate it to ensure that it is correct.