Derivation of neutron flux equation

In summary: Therefore, the solution you have is valid for $C_1=0$.In summary, the neutron flux equation in the A-region, where the neutron flux is given as Φ(r) = S/4πD [1/r - 1/R2], can be derived by starting with the diffusion equation and applying spherical symmetry. The resulting solution is Φ(r) = S/4πD [1/r - 1/R2], assuming that the constant C1 is equal to zero.
Oxlade

Homework Statement

reactor consists of nested spheres (sorry, this is my first time posting):

Sphere 1 --> Lead target with radius of R0 (Target-region)
Sphere 2 --> Actinide Fuel surrounding lead target; has outer radius of R1 (A-region)
Sphere 3 --> Reflector surrounding the fuel with outer radius of R2 (E-region)
Neutron flux vanishes at radius R2

Derive the neutron flux equation in A-region

Homework Equations

the neutron flux at A-region is given as:

Φ(r) = S/4πD [1/r - 1/R2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this solution assuming the lead target as a point source so I get Φ(r) = B e-r/L
where I determine the constant 'B' using neutron current going to zero at radius R2, but I always end up with a final answer containing exponentials...I'm really stuck even though this was supposed to be a very simple derivation we were to get to work on in the class hour (prof made it a take home aspect)

Physics news on Phys.org
A:I'm not sure what you mean by 'a point source' but the equation you gave for the flux is correct.To derive it, start with the diffusion equation$$\nabla^2 \phi = - \frac{S}{D}$$where $\phi$ is the neutron flux and $S$ is the source term. Then, assume spherical symmetry so that the diffusion equation reduces to$$\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( r^2 \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r} \right) = -\frac{S}{D}$$You can solve this equation using the method of separation of variables, which will yield a solution of the form$$ \phi(r) = C_1 + \frac{C_2}{r} + \frac{S}{4 \pi D} \ln r$$The constants $C_1$ and $C_2$ can be determined by applying boundary conditions. At $r=R_2$, the flux goes to zero, so we have$$ 0 = C_1 + \frac{C_2}{R_2} + \frac{S}{4 \pi D} \ln R_2$$At $r=R_1$, the flux is given by$$ \phi(R_1) = C_1 + \frac{C_2}{R_1} + \frac{S}{4 \pi D} \ln R_1$$Plugging these two equations into each other then gives$$ \phi(R_1) = \frac{S}{4 \pi D} \left[ \ln R_2 - \ln R_1 \right]$$Substituting this back into the original solution for the flux yields$$ \phi(r) = \frac{S}{4 \pi D} \left[ \frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{R_2} \right]$$This is the solution you wrote down. Note that this assumes that $C_1=0$. If $C_1 \neq 0$, then the first term in the equation would be $C_1 + \ldots$.

1. What is the neutron flux equation?

The neutron flux equation is a mathematical expression that describes the distribution of neutrons in a nuclear reactor. It takes into account factors such as the rate of neutron production, absorption, and scattering to calculate the number of neutrons at any given point in the reactor.

2. Why is the neutron flux equation important?

The neutron flux equation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the behavior of neutrons in a nuclear reactor. This is crucial for the safe and efficient operation of nuclear power plants and other applications of nuclear technology.

3. How is the neutron flux equation derived?

The neutron flux equation is derived through the use of mathematical models and equations that describe the physical processes involved in neutron production, absorption, and scattering. These models are based on principles of nuclear physics and are verified through experimental data.

4. What are the variables in the neutron flux equation?

The variables in the neutron flux equation include the neutron flux (Φ), the neutron production rate (Γ), the neutron absorption cross section (σ), and the neutron scattering cross section (Σ). These variables may also be dependent on other factors such as the material and geometry of the reactor.

5. How is the neutron flux equation used in practical applications?

The neutron flux equation is used in practical applications by scientists and engineers to design and optimize nuclear reactors, as well as to analyze and troubleshoot any issues that may arise during operation. It is also used in research to study the behavior of neutrons in different materials and environments.