Derivation of Surface Area and Torque for a Helical Plate Attached to a Shaft

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of surface area of a helical plate with single turn and a pitch p, diameter D, and attached to a shaft of d. The equation for the torque resisted by the surface when entering a material with shear strength s or frictional coefficient μ is also mentioned. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the plate being produced by splitting a flat annular disk and the potential increase in area with increasing pitch. However, the pictured flange does not follow the theoretical helicoid formula and may have been formed from a flat washer.
BALU E GEORGE
Hello.
I would like to know the derivation of surface area of the helical plate, of single turn with a pitch p, diameter D, attached to a shaft of d. It will look like a circle in plan
Also, I would like to get the equation relating the torque resisted by the surface, if it is made to enter a material of shear strength s or frictional coefficient μ.
Thankyou
sectional_flight_helical_plate_helix_or_helixes.jpg

Thankyou in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The plate shown appears to have been produced by splitting a flat annular disk. If so, the area will be the same as when it was flat. The plan view (as it is, mounted on the shaft) would not be a complete disk. There would be a small radial gap at the split, due to the strain from the shaft.
If your question really concerns a helical flange (like a screw thread) extending over multiple turns then the area will be a bit larger.

Yes sir,
My question concerns the helical flange. But it is a sungle turn. So the area will be a bit larger, as compared to a circular disc and there is no radial gap at the split. This area will increase as th pitch increases. So i was looking for a relation connecting the pitch and the radius to the area.

BALU E GEORGE said:
Yes sir,
My question concerns the helical flange. But it is a sungle turn. So the area will be a bit larger, as compared to a circular disc and there is no radial gap at the split. This area will increase as th pitch increases. So i was looking for a relation connecting the pitch and the radius to the area.
The pictured flange cannot be continued into an arbitrary number of turns. If you look at either straight edge and project it back through the shaft you will see that it meets the flange on the other side. If it were truly just one turn out of a continuing thread, like a spiral staircase, that would not happen. Instead, the line would be perpendicular to the axis of the shaft. Its continuation through the shaft would come out on the other side half way between two passes of the flange/thread.
This is why I remain convinced that it has been formed from a flat washer, split, then forced onto the shaft. The radial gap I infer would be very small. It might be hard to detect it by eye because of parallax. Whether there's a measurable gap or not, the difference between the actual area and its original area before being mounted on the shaft would be minute. Just treat it as flat.

If you want the surface area formula for a theoretical helicoid of the form$$
\vec r(t) = \langle r\cos t, r\sin t , kt\rangle~~0\le t \le a,~~0\le r\le b$$it is easy enough$$
A =\int_0^a\int_0^b \sqrt{k^2+r^2}~drdt$$
[Edit:] Corrected typo.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
If you want the surface area formula for a theoretical helicoid
Sure, but the pictured flange is clearly not like that.
Also, I guess you mean ##A =\int_0^a\int_{r_0}^{r_1} \sqrt{k^2+r^2}~drdt##

haruspex said:
Sure, but the pictured flange is clearly not like that.
Also, I guess you mean ##A =\int_0^a\int_{r_0}^{r_1} \sqrt{k^2+r^2}~drdt##
Yes.

Related to Derivation of Surface Area and Torque for a Helical Plate Attached to a Shaft

What is the formula for finding the area of a helical surface?

The formula for finding the area of a helical surface is A = 2πrh, where A is the surface area, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the helix, and h is the height of the helix.

How do you calculate the radius of a helix?

The radius of a helix can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the helix by 2π. Alternatively, if you know the pitch (distance between each complete turn) and the number of turns, you can use the formula r = P/2πn, where r is the radius, P is the pitch, and n is the number of turns.

Can the area of a helical surface be negative?

No, the area of a helical surface cannot be negative. It is a measure of the total surface area, which is always a positive value.

What unit of measurement is typically used for the height of a helix?

The height of a helix is typically measured in the same unit as the radius, such as inches, centimeters, or meters. However, any unit of length can be used as long as it is consistent throughout the calculation.

Can the formula for finding the area of a helical surface be applied to any type of helix?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any type of helix, including circular, elliptical, or spiral helices. As long as the radius and height can be measured or calculated, the formula can be used to find the surface area.