Derivation of the Work done by spring force -- why do we substitute the force magnitude?

dainceptionman_02
TL;DR Summary
i read through work done by a spring force derivation and have a simple question about the substitution.
i'm copying from the book...
Hookes Law - F = -kx
W = Fdcos∅
since ∅ is 180°, W = -Fd = -Fx
W = ∫(-Fxdx)
now the book says, from Hookes Law equation "the force magnitude F is kx. Thus, substitution leads to W = ∫(-kxdx)"
why are they saying to substitute the magnitude of the force and not the restoring force of (-kx) resulting in a positive formula in the integral with the two negatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
The actual formula for work done is [tex]
W = \int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{x}.[/tex] In one dimension this is [tex]
W = \int F\,dx[/tex] where [itex]F[/itex] is the signed force, [itex]-kx[/itex], yielding [tex]
W = -\int kx\,dx.[/tex]

Likes berkeman
pasmith said:
The actual formula for work done is [tex]
W = \int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{x}.[/tex] In one dimension this is [tex]
W = \int F\,dx[/tex] where [itex]F[/itex] is the signed force, [itex]-kx[/itex], yielding [tex]
W = -\int kx\,dx.[/tex]
this formula is missing the cosine of the angle in one dimension

dainceptionman_02 said:
this formula is missing the cosine of the angle in one dimension
No it's not - that's what the signed force is. In 1d it's either parallel to dx (+ve sign) or anti-parallel (-ve sign). There are no other options.

but Halliday still wrote it in the way that i showed in the original post...

One must know what work you are talking about. The work done by the spring will be the negative of the work done on the spring. If one understands the Physics, the sign is clear. This is why understanding the physics is always better than memorizing the equation.

Likes nasu and jbriggs444
dainceptionman_02 said:
but Halliday still wrote it in the way that i showed in the original post...
Then he isn't working in 1d. That's fine; as is working in 1d with a signed force and no cosine.

The problem here is keeping straight which force you are talking about, which way it's pointing, and which body you're doing work on. The spring exerts a force ##F## in the ##-x## direction on the mass, so the spring does work ##-Fx## on the mass (that's the mass' kinetic energy decreasing). The mass exerts a force ##F## in the ##+x## direction in the spring so the mass does work ##Fx## on the spring (that's the spring's potential energy increasing).

A vector in 1D is just a signed number!!

I think I can say something usefull here, the problem in the book is probably with the overload of the symbol F: It is used to mean both the vector force and the magnitude of the force. When the book says ##W=Fdx\cos\theta## this F is the magnitude of the force.

As it is well know the work (infinitesimal) is the dot product ##dW=\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{x}=|\vec{F}||d\vec{x}|\cos\theta##.

I mean when you see that ##\cos\theta## in the expression for the work you know that the dot product is expanded so the other symbols must be the magnitude of the vectors.

Likes dainceptionman_02, nasu, Lnewqban and 1 other person

1. Why do we substitute the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force?

When deriving the work done by a spring force, we substitute the force magnitude to simplify the calculation. This allows us to express the force in terms of the displacement of the spring, making it easier to integrate and calculate the work done.

2. How does substituting the force magnitude affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Substituting the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force does not affect the accuracy of the calculation. It simply provides a more convenient way to express the force in terms of the displacement, making the integration process more manageable.

3. Can we derive the work done by spring force without substituting the force magnitude?

While it is possible to derive the work done by spring force without substituting the force magnitude, it would make the calculation more complex and difficult to solve. Substituting the force magnitude simplifies the derivation process and makes it easier to calculate the work done.

4. Is there a specific formula for substituting the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force?

There is no specific formula for substituting the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force. It involves expressing the force in terms of the displacement of the spring and integrating with respect to displacement to calculate the work done.

5. What are the benefits of substituting the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force?

Substituting the force magnitude in the derivation of the work done by spring force simplifies the calculation process, making it easier to solve for the work done. It allows us to express the force in terms of the displacement of the spring, facilitating the integration and calculation of work done.