Derivation of trigonometric identities form rotation on the plane

In summary, to rotate through an angle, start with the rotation matrix and multiply by the cosine and sine of the angle you want to rotate through.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

I want to derive the trig identities starting with rotation on the plane.

Homework Equations

One rotation through a given angle is given by
$$x' = xcosθ - ysinθ $$
$$y' = xsinθ + ycosθ$$

The Attempt at a Solution

What if I wanted to rotated through any angle $$ψ$$.

Then

$$ x'' = x'cosψ - y'sinψ $$
$$ = (xcosθ - ysinθ)cosψ - (xsinθ + ycosθ)sinψ $$
$$ = xcosθcosψ - ysinθcosψ - xsinθsinψ +ycosθsinψ $$

I'm concerned about having x's and y's still. Hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jbreezy said:

Homework Statement

I want to derive the trig identities starting with rotation on the plane.

Homework Equations

One rotation through a given angle is given by
$$x' = xcosθ - ysinθ $$
$$y' = xsinθ + ycosθ$$

The Attempt at a Solution

What if I wanted to rotated through any angle $$ψ$$.

Then

$$ = xcosθcosψ - ysinθcosψ - xsinθsinψ +ycosθsinψ $$

I'm concerned about having x's and y's still. Hint?

No problem: having x and y is *exactly* what you want, because they allow you to find the new sine and cosine values. Remember: new_x = cos(angle)*old_x - sin(angle)*old_y, etc. So, with old_x = x and new_x = x'', the coefficients are just the sine and cosine.

Wait wait,

No problem: having x and y is *exactly* what you want, because they allow you to find the new sine and cosine values. Remember: new_x = cos(angle)*old_x - sin(angle)*old_y, etc. So, with old_x = x and new_x = x'', the coefficients are just the sine and cosine.

What do you mean the coefficients are just the sine and cosine? I'm just a little bit confused because what if you wanted to arrive at the sum to product identity from where I felt off. You are saying I can replace x and y by cosine and sine? Or x'' by ... Maybe that is more specific for what I struggle with.

Jbreezy said:
Wait wait,

What do you mean the coefficients are just the sine and cosine? I'm just a little bit confused because what if you wanted to arrive at the sum to product identity from where I felt off. You are saying I can replace x and y by cosine and sine? Or x'' by ... Maybe that is more specific for what I struggle with.

Well, YOU wrote ##x' = \cos(\theta) x - \sin(\theta) y.## The right-hand-side is a linear function of x and y. What is the coefficient of x? Of y?

OK. I see. But I'm saying how would I get the sum to product identity or any other from the form I have. That is why I want to get rid of x's and y's because they are not in those identities. You see what I'm asking now?

Jbreezy said:
OK. I see. But I'm saying how would I get the sum to product identity or any other from the form I have. That is why I want to get rid of x's and y's because they are not in those identities. You see what I'm asking now?

I already told you. Now I give up.

Ray Vickson said:

Yeah I understand that you already told me. But I feel like you did not. I don't understand how to get from my last formula with x and y in it and x'' on the left side to one of the identities.

Jbreezy said:

If you call the rotation through ##\alpha## by ##T_\alpha## and express your original formulas as matrices you have$$
T_\alpha(x,y) =\begin{bmatrix}
\cos\alpha & -\sin\alpha\\ \sin\alpha & \cos\alpha
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}$$Now, rotation through an angle ##\theta=\alpha+\beta## can be represented by one rotation followed by another:$$
T_\theta = T_{\alpha + \beta} = T_\beta T_\alpha$$So the rotation through ##\alpha + \beta## is represented by the matrix multiplication$$
\begin{bmatrix}
\cos(\alpha+\beta) & -\sin(\alpha+\beta)\\ \sin(\alpha+\beta) & \cos(\alpha+\beta)
\end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix}
\cos\beta & -\sin\beta\\ \sin\beta & \cos\beta
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
\cos\alpha & -\sin\alpha\\ \sin\alpha & \cos\alpha
\end{bmatrix}$$Multiplying those matrices out will give you the addition formulas, if that's what you are asking.

Last edited:
$$ = xcosθcosψ - ysinθcosψ - xsinθsinψ -ycosθsinψ $$
$$ = x(cosθcosψ - sinθsinψ)-y(sinθcosψ +ycosθsinψ) $$

On the other hand we have

$$ x'' = x'cosψ - y'sinψ = xcos(θ+ψ) - sin(θ+ψ)$$

1. How are trigonometric identities derived from rotation on the plane?

Trigonometric identities can be derived from rotation on the plane by using the basic properties of rotations, such as the angle sum and difference formulas, and the fact that the coordinates of a point on the unit circle can be represented using trigonometric functions.

2. Why is rotation on the plane used to derive trigonometric identities?

Rotation on the plane is used to derive trigonometric identities because it allows us to visualize the relationships between angles and sides of triangles, which are fundamental to trigonometry. By rotating a point on the unit circle, we can see how the coordinates and trigonometric functions change.

3. Are there any limitations to deriving trigonometric identities from rotation on the plane?

While rotation on the plane is a useful tool for deriving trigonometric identities, it may not be applicable to more complex trigonometric equations or identities. Other methods, such as using the unit circle or algebraic manipulation, may be necessary in these cases.

4. Can trigonometric identities be derived without using rotation on the plane?

Yes, there are other methods for deriving trigonometric identities, such as using the unit circle, algebraic manipulation, or the properties of right triangles. However, rotation on the plane is a particularly useful approach for understanding the relationships between angles and trigonometric functions.

5. How can the knowledge of trigonometric identities derived from rotation on the plane be applied in real life?

Trigonometric identities derived from rotation on the plane are used in a wide range of applications, from navigation and surveying to physics and engineering. For example, understanding the relationships between angles and sides of triangles allows us to calculate distances and heights, and to analyze the motion of objects in circular paths.