How can I use different angles in linear algebra rotations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotation equation and how to use it to rotate vectors. The equation is shown for a 90 degree rotation and the conversation explores how to use it for different angles. The conversation mentions looking for advice on the internet and provides an example of using the equation for a 30 degree rotation. However, there seems to be uncertainty about the notation used for the equation.
Pin Head
hi,
I understand how to do the rotation equation

A = [ cosθ -sinθ
sinθ cosθ]

A*v = [ cosθ -sinθ * [ x = [ xcosθ - ysinθ
sinθ cosθ] y ] xsinθ + ycosθ ]

A*v = [ cos90 -sin90 * [ 6
sin90 cos90 ] 4 ]

= [ 0, -1 * [ 6 = [ 0 * 6 - 1 * 4 = [ -4
1, 0 ] 4 ] 1 * 6 + 0 * 4 ] 6 ]

but the textbook I am using doesn't go into using different angle as you can see this is a 90 degree equation but what if I wanted to use 30 degrees or 5 degree instead.I have look on the internet for some advice but don't seem to be able to find some?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with just putting the different angle in for theta?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix

eg. to rotate 30 degrees, sin(30)=1/2 and cos(30)=√3/2 so the matrix becomes:

$$\mathbf{A}=\left ( \begin{array}{cc}
\sqrt{3}/2 & -1/2 \\ 1/2 & \sqrt{3}/2
\end{array}\right )$$

I'm unsure about your notation though.

What is a rotation in linear algebra?

A rotation in linear algebra is a transformation that changes the orientation or position of an object in a coordinate system. It involves rotating the object around a fixed point, known as the center of rotation, by a given angle.

How is a rotation represented in linear algebra?

A rotation in linear algebra is typically represented using a rotation matrix, which is a square matrix that describes the transformation. The matrix contains the cosine and sine values of the rotation angle, and the coordinates of the center of rotation.

What is the purpose of using rotations in linear algebra?

Rotations in linear algebra are used to manipulate and transform objects in a coordinate system. They are commonly used in computer graphics, robotics, and physics to model the movement of objects in three-dimensional space.

What is a rotation group in linear algebra?

A rotation group in linear algebra is a set of all possible rotations in a specific coordinate system. This group is closed under composition, meaning that combining two rotations will result in another rotation within the same group.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra rotations?

Linear algebra rotations have numerous real-world applications, such as in computer animation, medical imaging, and navigation systems. They are also used in physics to describe the rotation of objects in space, and in engineering for designing and controlling robotic movements.