Derivation of velocity in nth Bohr orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the electron's speed in the nth Bohr model and proving that the orbit with the highest speed is the n = 1 orbit. It also mentions the fine structure constant and how it can be verified. The equations used are the momentum equation and the Bohr radius equation. Ultimately, the conversation ends with the solution for the electron's speed being found.
SucculentLamb

Homework Statement

(a) Derive an expression for the electron's speed in the nth Bohr model.
(b) Prove that the orbit with highest speed is the n = 1 orbit,with v(1) = ke^2 / h
compare this with the speed of light , and comment on the validity of ignoring relativity (as we did) in discussing the hydrogen atom.
(c) the ratio
alpha = v(1)/c =ke^2 / hc
is called the " fine structure constant" and is generally quoted a s alpha ~ 1/37. verify this value

Homework Equations

So, I was thinking of using (momentum) mvr=hn/2(pi) which works out to give a nice expression for the velocity, but it fails in the next two parts of the problem.

I also looked at the equation for the bohr radius: a = hbar^2/ke^2m but again, I'm not sure that this would work with the rest of the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, I tried the above two equations, but neither seemed to yield an answer that would allow for solving of parts (b) and (c). Really, I would just love some help with part (a) to give me a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We know

[tex]m \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{k e^2}{r^2}[/tex]

and

[tex] m v r = n \hbar[/tex] (the quantized momentum of the particle)

so

[tex]\frac{m v r}{r^2}v = \frac{k e^2}{r^2}.[/tex]

That should give you enough info to solve for the electron's speed!

Thanks! That was very helpful!

Related to Derivation of velocity in nth Bohr orbit

1. How is the velocity in the nth Bohr orbit derived?

The velocity in the nth Bohr orbit is derived using the formula v = (Z/n) * (e^2/4πε0) * (1/n - 1/m), where Z is the atomic number, n is the principal quantum number of the orbit, e is the elementary charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and m is the mass of the electron.

2. What is the significance of the nth Bohr orbit in atomic physics?

The nth Bohr orbit represents the energy level and electron configuration of an atom. It is used to explain the stability of atoms and the spectral lines observed in atomic spectra.

3. How does the velocity in the nth Bohr orbit change with the principal quantum number?

The velocity in the nth Bohr orbit decreases as the principal quantum number increases. This is because the electron is farther from the nucleus and experiences less attraction, resulting in a slower velocity.

4. Can the velocity in the nth Bohr orbit be negative?

No, the velocity in the nth Bohr orbit cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the speed and direction of the electron's motion around the nucleus.

5. Is the Bohr model of the atom still accepted in modern atomic theory?

The Bohr model of the atom is no longer the most accurate model of the atom, but it is still used as a simplified representation in some cases. Modern atomic theory, including quantum mechanics, provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of electrons in atoms.