Derivative = 0 is always minima? (Linear variational method)

In summary: The problem you are having is the assumption that the derivative of ε by Ci is zero. Without knowing the specifics of the problem, it is impossible to say for sure why this is a necessary condition.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a very fundamental question about the linear variational method (Huckel theory).

It says in any textbook that the variational method provides energy upper bound to the actual energy of a wavefunction by using test wavefunction.
[tex]\varepsilon = \frac{\sum_{i,j}^{n}C_{i}C_{j}H_{ij} }{\sum_{i,j}^{n}C_{i}C_{j}S_{ij}}[/tex]
This means that the derivative of ε by Ci is 0, which would provide the minimum.

However, the right side of the equation above is a quadratic/quadratic rational function. If I understand correctly, depending on the numerator and denominator, it can also have a maximum (or might not even have any). So [itex]\frac{d\varepsilon }{dC_{i}} = 0[/itex] does not necessarily provide the minimum.

I am guessing that I am referring to a general case in mathematics, rather than special case with several constraints like in quantum mechanics. So then how do we know in this "special case" that [itex]\frac{d\varepsilon }{dC_{i}} = 0[/itex] will always give the minimum?This might be a very stupid noob question, but it was something I took for granted and never really thought about.

EDIT: In fact, actual calculation does indeed reach to an adequately right result. This is why I took it for granted. But, I wish to know why obtaining the minimum is a necessary condition.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HAYAO said:
So ##\frac{d\varepsilon }{dC_{i}} = 0## does not necessarily provide the minimum.

Correct. You have to check the second derivative to see whether it's a minimum, maximum, or saddle point.

PeterDonis said:
Correct. You have to check the second derivative to see whether it's a minimum, maximum, or saddle point.
Oh, okay. So then why, in Huckel method, do they say "minimum can be obtained from derivative = 0"? Is this empirical? Or is there a generalized proof?

HAYAO said:
why, in Huckel method, do they say "minimum can be obtained from derivative = 0"?

Can you give a specific reference where this claim is made?

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a specific reference where this claim is made?
Page 84 of "Quantum Chemistry: Fundamentals to Applications" by Tamás Veszprémi and Miklós Fehér.

or from equation (10.6.9) from Chemwiki

HAYAO said:
Page 84 of "Quantum Chemistry: Fundamentals to Applications" by Tamás Veszprémi and Miklós Fehér.

or from equation (10.6.9) from Chemwiki

I don't see anything in either of these references that proves that the first derivative being zero guarantees that it is a minimum. I suspect they are simply leaving out the part where they check the second derivative and verify that they have found a minimum.

PeterDonis said:
I don't see anything in either of these references that proves that the first derivative being zero guarantees that it is a minimum. I suspect they are simply leaving out the part where they check the second derivative and verify that they have found a minimum.
Yes indeed, which is why I was wondering why they are saying this without any proof. In fact, I want to know if it is possible to check the second derivative. It seems to me like a tedious work.

Last edited:
In practice, because of the way the trial wave functions are constructed, the probability of ending up anywhere else than close to the ground state. In addition, the solution is found by minimization, not by finding the zeros. (The minimization method will surely involve calculating the Jacobian, so it is easy to check that the solution found corresponds to a minimum.)

DrClaude said:
In practice, because of the way the trial wave functions are constructed, the probability of ending up anywhere else than close to the ground state. In addition, the solution is found by minimization, not by finding the zeros. (The minimization method will surely involve calculating the Jacobian, so it is easy to check that the solution found corresponds to a minimum.)
I'll be honest I don't know much about mathematical methods for minimization. However, I do know that a solution is found by minimization. That is pretty much the same for many methods, e.g. Hartree-Fock method.

The problem I am having is the explanation used in above links. They do not explicitly do the actual procedure of using trial functions but instead says that they can provide secular determinant from the condition that a minimum can supposedly be met when [itex]\frac{d\varepsilon }{dC_{i}} = 0[/itex], which can be used for the Huckel Method. I feel like there is a leap in logic because [itex]\frac{d\varepsilon }{dC_{i}} = 0[/itex] is not always a minimum, provided that we don't know exactly what [itex]\varepsilon = \frac{\sum_{i,j}^{n}C_{i}C_{j}H_{ij} }{\sum_{i,j}^{n}C_{i}C_{j}S_{ij}}[/itex] is. I wanted to know the mathematical explanation why this is always true for LCAO variational method.

What is the "Derivative = 0 is always minima" principle?

The "Derivative = 0 is always minima" principle, also known as the Linear Variational Method, is a mathematical technique used to find the minimum value of a function. It involves taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0, then solving for the variable.

Why is the derivative set to 0 in this method?

The derivative of a function represents its rate of change at a given point. When the derivative is set to 0, it means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point, indicating a potential minimum or maximum value.

Is the "Derivative = 0 is always minima" principle always applicable?

No, this principle is only applicable to functions that are continuous and have a single local minimum value. It may not work for more complex functions with multiple local minima or maxima.

How can the Linear variational method be used in scientific research?

The Linear Variational Method can be used in various fields of scientific research, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is commonly used to find the minimum energy state of a system or to optimize a certain parameter in a model or experiment.

Are there any limitations to using this method?

Yes, there are limitations to using the "Derivative = 0 is always minima" principle. It may not always accurately determine the global minimum value of a function, and it may not work for non-linear functions or functions with discontinuities. It is important to carefully consider the applicability of this method in each specific case.