Derivative of a Dual Frame Vector

In summary: Also, you have not used the Leibniz rule, which is the point of the exercise.In summary, we can use the relation ##\langle \vec e^a, \vec e_b \rangle = \delta^a_b## and the Leibniz rule to express the derivative of a dual frame vector ##\frac{\partial \vec e_b}{\partial x^a}## in terms of the connexion components as ##\frac{\partial \vec e_b}{\partial x^a} = \Gamma^c_{ba} \vec e_c##.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Use the relation ##\langle \vec e^a, \vec e_b \rangle = \delta^a_b## and the Leibniz rule to give an expression for the derivative of a dual frame vector ##\frac{\partial \vec e_b}{\partial x^a}## in terms of the connexion components.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do this, but this is what I've got so far:

##\partial_c \langle \vec e^a, \vec e_b \rangle = 0##

##\langle \partial_c \vec e^a, \vec e_b \rangle + \langle \vec e^a, \partial_c \vec e_b \rangle = 0##

##\langle -\Gamma^b_{dc} \vec e^d, \vec e_b \rangle + \langle \vec e^a, \Gamma^d_{bc} \vec e_d \rangle = 0##

##\Gamma^d_{bc}\langle \vec e^a, \vec e_d \rangle - \Gamma^b_{dc} \langle \vec e^d, \vec e_b \rangle = 0##

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
##\langle \partial_c \vec e^a, \vec e_b \rangle + \langle \vec e^a, \partial_c \vec e_b \rangle = 0##

##\langle -\Gamma^b_{dc} \vec e^d, \vec e_b \rangle + \langle \vec e^a, \Gamma^d_{bc} \vec e_d \rangle = 0##
Between these lines you are using what you are supposed to show ...

Orodruin said:
Between these lines you are using what you are supposed to show ...

##\frac{\partial \vec e_b}{\partial x^a} = \Gamma^c_{ba} \vec e_c## was presented as a definition to me, so I'm not sure how I can bring in the connection components without using that fact. (Though I do appreciate your point)

That is not the derivative of the dual basis vector, it is the derivative of the tangent basis vector.

1. What is a dual frame vector?

A dual frame vector is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra and functional analysis. It is a vector that belongs to a dual space, which is a space of linear functionals on a given vector space. In simpler terms, it is a vector that represents a linear transformation on another vector.

2. How is the derivative of a dual frame vector calculated?

The derivative of a dual frame vector is calculated using the standard rules of vector calculus. It involves taking the partial derivatives of each component of the vector with respect to the variables in the equation. The result is a new vector that represents the rate of change of the original vector with respect to the variables.

3. What is the significance of the derivative of a dual frame vector?

The derivative of a dual frame vector is significant because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a vector in a given space. It provides information about the rate of change of the vector with respect to the variables in the equation, which can be useful in optimizing and understanding the behavior of systems.

4. Can the derivative of a dual frame vector be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a dual frame vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is decreasing with respect to the variables in the equation. The magnitude of the negative derivative also provides information about the rate of decrease of the vector.

5. How is the concept of the derivative of a dual frame vector applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of the derivative of a dual frame vector has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems and optimize their performance. For example, it is used in economic models to analyze the changes in supply and demand, and in engineering to optimize the performance of machines and systems.