Derivative of a piecewise function

In summary, the function given is a plain old x^2 which has a thin disguise of being a function at x=1.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Finding derivative of function ##f## which is a piecewise function.
Relevant Equations
##f'(a)=\lim_{x \rightarrow a} {\frac {f(x)-f(a)} {x-a}}##
##f(x) = \begin{cases} \frac {x^3-x^2}{x-1} & \text{if } x\neq1 \\ 1 & \text{if } x=1 \end{cases}##
Find ##f'(1)##.

Using derivative definition:
##f'(1)=\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {\frac {x^3-x^2}{x-1}-f(1)} {x-1}}##

##f'(1)=\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {\frac {x^3-x^2}{x-1}-1} {x-1}}##

##f'(1)=\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {x^3-x^2-x+1} {(x-1)^2}}##

Apply L'Hôpital's rule two times:
##f'(1)=\lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {6x-2} {2}}##
##f'(1)=2##

Can someone please tell me if I'm wrong …

Can I say that ##f(x) = \begin{cases} \frac {x^3-x^2}{x-1} & \text{if } x\neq1 \\ 1 & \text{if } x=1 \end{cases}## graph is similar to ##y=x^2## but it's undefined at ##x=1##? If it's true then I can find ##f'(1)=2x=2## far faster.

Physics news on Phys.org
##f(x) = x^2##? True or false?

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
##f(x) = x^2##? True or false?
No these functions have different domains, so they're not equal.

MatinSAR said:
No these functions have different domains, so they're not equal.
The domain is ##\mathbb R## in both cases.

It's true. The function you are given is plain old ##x^2##, wearing a thin disguise!

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
The domain is ##\mathbb R## in both cases.

It's true. The function you are given is plain old ##x^2##, wearing a thin disguise!
Oh! I've forgotten that we've defined ##f(1)=1##. So both ways were correct, Do you agree?

MatinSAR said:
Oh! I've forgotten that we've defined ##f(1)=1##. So both ways were correct, Do you agree?
Both methods are valid. But, the first method is unnecessarily complicated.

As an aside, I've never liked the term piecewise function, as there is no such thing, IMO. You can define a function piecewise. But, as in this case, that doesn't mean that you have to define it piecewise. In this case, you could equally well have written ##f(x) = x^2 \ (\forall x)##.

I wonder whether whoever set the question realised this.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Both methods are valid. But, the first method is unnecessarily complicated.
Yes.
PeroK said:
As an aside, I've never liked the term piecewise function, as there is no such thing, IMO. You can define a function piecewise. But, as in this case, that doesn't mean that you have to define it piecewise. In this case, you could equally well have written ##f(x) = x^2 \ (\forall x)##.

I wonder whether whoever set the question realised this.
I've understand it. Thank you for your valuable help and time.

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different rules or equations for different intervals of the input values. This means that the function may have different behaviors or outputs depending on the value of the input.

What is the derivative of a piecewise function?

The derivative of a piecewise function is the function that represents the rate of change of the original function at any given point. It is calculated using the rules of differentiation for each interval and then combined to create a single function.

How do you find the derivative of a piecewise function?

To find the derivative of a piecewise function, you need to first identify the different intervals and the corresponding equations or rules for each interval. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative for each interval and combine them to create the final derivative function.

Can a piecewise function have a derivative at a point where it is not continuous?

Yes, a piecewise function can have a derivative at a point where it is not continuous. This is because the derivative is calculated using the rules of differentiation for each interval, and does not depend on the continuity of the function.

What is the significance of the derivative of a piecewise function?

The derivative of a piecewise function is significant because it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at any given point. This can be useful in many applications, such as determining the maximum or minimum values of the function or analyzing the behavior of the function at different points.