Find ##b-a## which satisfies following limit

MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Find ##b-a## which satisfies following limit:
## \lim_{x \rightarrow 1} {\frac {x-2} {x^3+ax+b}} = -\infty##
Relevant Equations
Please see below.
The limit is equal to ##\frac {-1} {1+a+b}## .
so I can say that ## a+b = -1 ##.
But I cannot find another equation to find both ##b-a##.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make the denominator zero at [itex]x = 1[/itex], but you don't want it to change sign, or the limit from below will be -1 times the limit from above, and the two-sided limit will not exist. Thus [itex](x - 1)^2[/itex] must be a factor of the denominator.

Likes PeroK, FactChecker and MatinSAR
pasmith said:
You need to make the denominator zero at [itex]x = 1[/itex], but you don't want it to change sign, or the limit from below will be -1 times the limit from above, and the two-sided limit will not exist. Thus [itex](x - 1)^2[/itex] must be a factor of the denominator.
Yes. I understand now. Thanks for your help.

Setting [tex]
\left. \frac{d}{dx}(x^3 + ax + b)\right|_{x=1} = 0[/tex] will give [itex]a[/itex] directly, but fully factorising the denominator as above will confirm that the other linear factor is positive near [itex]x = 1[/itex].

Likes SammyS and MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
Homework Statement: Find ##b-a## which satisfies following limit:
Relevant Equations: Please see below.

The limit is equal to ##\frac {-1} {1+a+b}## .
so I can say that ## a+b = -1 ##.
But I cannot find another equation to find both ##b-a##.
This hypothesis of the question seems to fully specify ##a## and ##b##?

Likes SammyS and MatinSAR
PeroK said:
This hypothesis of the question seems to fully specify ##a## and ##b##?
I'm not sure if I understand your question well.
The question asks for ##b-a## value. So we need to find both ##a## and ##b##. I found ##b-a = 5 ##.

PeroK said:
This hypothesis of the question seems to fully specify a and b?

MatinSAR said:
The question asks for b−a value. So we need to find both a and b. I found b−a=5.
I don't believe it asks you to find both a and b, just the value of b - a.
If I understand @PeroK's comment/question correctly, he seems to be questioning whether both a and b need to be found.

In any case, how did you come up with b - a = 5?

Likes MatinSAR
Mark44 said:
I don't believe it asks you to find both a and b, just the value of b - a.
If I understand @PeroK's comment/question correctly, he seems to be questioning whether both a and b need to be found.
Quite the reverse. Why ask for ##b - a## when we can find both ##a## and ##b##? It suggested to me that any ##a, b## with a common difference would work.

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Quite the reverse. Why ask for b−a when we can find both a and b? It suggested to me that any a,b with a common difference would work.
That's probably the correct interpretation, although "find b - a which satisfies following limit" doesn't seem to be clearly stated. A better problem statement in this case would be "find a and b that satisfy the following limit."

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Quite the reverse. Why ask for ##b - a## when we can find both ##a## and ##b##? It suggested to me that any ##a, b## with a common difference would work.
Yes, that is misleading, but i have seen many problems like that. They make you think that there is a clever way to find what is asked without the calculation for both numbers, just to be disappointed when you see the author's solution.

Likes PeroK and MatinSAR
@Mark44 @PeroK @martinbn What I have done to solve using @pasmith help :
pasmith said:
Thus [itex](x - 1)^2[/itex] must be a factor of the denominator.
1701760887860.png

MatinSAR said:
@Mark44 @PeroK @martinbn What I have done to solve using @pasmith help :

View attachment 336674
Yes, that works, but maybe this is a bit easier:
##(x-1)^2## being a factor of ##P(x)## implies ##x-1## is a factor of ##P'(x)##. So solve ##3x^2+a=0## for ##x=1##.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Yes, that works, but maybe this is a bit easier:
##(x-1)^2## being a factor of ##P(x)## implies ##x-1## is a factor of ##P'(x)##. So solve ##3x^2+a=0## for ##x=1##.
I didn't know about this ...
It's far easier than what I have done!!! Thanks a lot for your help.

1. How do you find ##b-a## which satisfies a given limit?

To find ##b-a## which satisfies a given limit, you first need to evaluate the limit expression and simplify it as much as possible. Then, you can manipulate the expression to isolate ##b-a## on one side of the equation. Finally, you can solve for ##b-a## by applying algebraic operations to both sides of the equation.

2. What are the steps to solve for ##b-a## in a limit problem?

The steps to solve for ##b-a## in a limit problem involve evaluating the limit expression, simplifying it, isolating ##b-a## on one side of the equation, and solving for ##b-a## using algebraic techniques. Make sure to carefully follow each step and pay attention to any restrictions on the variables involved in the problem.

3. Can you provide an example of finding ##b-a## which satisfies a specific limit?

Sure! Let's consider the limit expression ##\lim_{{x\to 2}} \frac{x^2-4}{x-2}##. By simplifying the expression and factoring the numerator, we get ##\lim_{{x\to 2}} \frac{(x-2)(x+2)}{x-2}##. Cancelling out the common factor of ##x-2##, we are left with ##\lim_{{x\to 2}} (x+2)##. Evaluating the limit at ##x=2## gives us ##2+2=4##, which is the value of ##b-a## in this case.

4. Are there any specific strategies to use when finding ##b-a## in limit problems?

When finding ##b-a## in limit problems, it can be helpful to simplify the expression, look for common factors to cancel out, and manipulate the equation to isolate ##b-a##. Additionally, paying attention to any patterns or special techniques that can be applied to the specific problem at hand can make the process more efficient.

5. What should I do if I encounter difficulties in finding ##b-a## in a limit problem?

If you encounter difficulties in finding ##b-a## in a limit problem, it may be helpful to revisit the basic concepts of limits and algebraic manipulations. You can also seek assistance from textbooks, online resources, or consult with a teacher or tutor for additional guidance and support.