Derivative with respect to which variable?

In summary, the question is to find the length of the fourth side when the area of trapezoid is maximized.
SweatingBear
We have the following trapezoid:

View attachment 1201

The question is to find the length of the fourth side when the area of trapezoid is maximized.

I realize we will not be able to find a numerical value for the fourth side due to the given information (rather, lack thereof). So we are essentially going have to find, through calculus, an algebraic relationship between the fourth side and the given side, \(\displaystyle a\).

First and foremost, we need to write an equation for the area. The problem however is that we will not be able to express the function in simply one variable. This is where I am stuck: Since the function will depend on several variables, how can we tell which variable we ought to be taking the derivative with respect to? This is normally, from what I have experienced, the most difficult task i.e. to realize which variable one should take the derivative of.

Here's a spontaneous thought: Since we are looking for the relationship between the fourth side and the side \(\displaystyle a\), it would be wise to express the function in terms of the mentioned sides. Thus, when we take the derivative and equate it to zero, we ought to be able to find some kind of relationship between the aforementioned sides.

What do you think forum? Share your insights!

Attachments

• 2sCLr5.png
    2sCLr5.png
    935 bytes · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
I would attack the problem by drawing the following diagram first:

View attachment 1203

The area may then be written:

\(\displaystyle A(h,x)=\frac{h}{2}((a+2x)+a)=h(a+x)\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle x^2+h^2=a^2\)

You may then express the area as a function of one variable, or use Lagrange multipliers.

Attachments

• sbeartrapezoid.jpg
    sbeartrapezoid.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 72
MarkFL said:
I would attack the problem by drawing the following diagram first:

View attachment 1203

The area may then be written:

\(\displaystyle A(h,x)=\frac{h}{2}((a+2x)+a)=h(a+x)\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle x^2+h^2=a^2\)

You may then express the area as a function of one variable, or use Lagrange multipliers.

Yes that's great but I am afraid it does not answer the main question: In the case where we have several variables, how can one tell which variable one should optimize with respect to?

sweatingbear said:
Yes that's great but I am afraid it does not answer the main question: In the case where we have several variables, how can one tell which variable one should optimize with respect to?

Instead of considering MarkFL's \(\displaystyle x\) you might consider the leftmost angle. If we call this \(\displaystyle \theta\) then we get \(\displaystyle A(\theta)=a^2(\cos\theta \sin\theta +\sin\theta)\).

This is quite easy to differentiate and the resulting equation is easy to solve.

Just another possibility.

sweatingbear said:

$a$ is a given constant, as it remains fixed. Therefore, you have the choice of using the constraint to get the area as a function of one variable (either $x$ or $h$), or using a multi-variable method, such as Lagrange multipliers (which is much easier in this case).

Thanks!

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line at that point and can also be interpreted as the instantaneous rate of change.

2. What is the purpose of taking a derivative?

The main purpose of taking a derivative is to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function and to solve optimization problems.

3. What does the notation "d/dx" mean?

The notation "d/dx" represents the derivative with respect to the variable x. It is read as "the derivative of" or "the rate of change of" with respect to x.

4. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the rules of differentiation such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help to calculate the derivative of a function based on the operations and variables present in the function.

5. What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

An ordinary derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable, while a partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the others constant. Partial derivatives are commonly used in multivariable calculus, while ordinary derivatives are used in single-variable calculus.