Hamiltonian Function thru new Variables Q,P -- Show that Q is cyclic

ardaoymakas
Homework Statement
3b) Print out the Hamilton function using the new variables Q and P. Show that by choosing the appropriate constant A, the variable Q becomes cyclic and therefore the Hamilton function can be written down without Q.
Relevant Equations
H = (p^2/2m) + mgq
q = P - AQ^2 , p = - Q
I took the derviative of the Hamiltonian function with respect to Q and assumed that it was equal to 0 in order to find the Konstant A. I did find the Konstant A as -1/2m^2g but I still cant write the Hamiltonian equation without having the Q as a variable. Can someone please help?

Translation:
The Hamilton function for a particle moving vertically in a homogeneous gravitational field with gravitational constant g is given by
----
We introduced new variables Q and P. The variables q and p can be expressed by Q and P using the following transformation formulas:
-----
a)Evaluate the Poisson bracket {Q ,P}q,p. Is the transformation canonical?

b)Print out the Hamilton function through the new variables Q and P. Show that by choosing a suitable constant A, the variable Q becomes cyclic and therefore the Hamilton function can be written down without Q.
Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 23.57.59.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
But posting attachments as pdf that have to be downloaded will hurt your response rate, particularly from those using iPads etc. Can you imbed the image?

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Welcome to PF!
But posting attachments as pdf that have to be downloaded will hurt your response rate, particularly from those using iPads etc. Can you imbed the image?
Hey,
Thanks! Is this better?

Much better, thanks.
ardaoymakas said:
I did find the Konstant A as -1/2m^2g but I still cant write the Hamiltonian equation without having the Q as a variable.
I've never worked with Hamiltonians, so not usually able to answer such a question, but it seems to me it is trivial to find the A which eliminates Q (and yes, it is the A you found). Just write out H in terms of P and Q. What does the Q term look like?

Edit: I see you have a sign error.

Likes MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Much better, thanks.

I've never worked with Hamiltonians, so not usually able to answer such a question, but it seems to me it is trivial to find the A which eliminates Q (and yes, it is the A you found). Just write out H in terms of P and Q. What does the Q term look like?

Edit: I see you have a sign error.
When I write it in terms of Q I get H = (-Q)^2 / 2m) + mgP + (Q^2)/2m which isnt the formula without Q

ardaoymakas said:
When I write it in terms of Q I get H = (-Q)^2 / 2m) + mgP + (Q^2)/2m which isnt the formula without Q
Did you note my edit? It says your expression for A has the wrong sign.

Likes MatinSAR

1. How do you define the Hamiltonian function through new variables Q and P?

The Hamiltonian function can be defined through new variables Q and P as H(Q,P) = H(q(Q,P), p(Q,P)), where q(Q,P) and p(Q,P) are functions of Q and P that satisfy the canonical equations of motion.

2. What does it mean for a variable Q to be cyclic in the Hamiltonian function?

A variable Q is said to be cyclic in the Hamiltonian function if its conjugate momentum P does not appear explicitly in the Hamiltonian, i.e., ∂H/∂P = 0. This implies that the variable Q is conserved throughout the motion.

3. How do you show that the variable Q is cyclic in the Hamiltonian function?

To show that the variable Q is cyclic in the Hamiltonian function, we need to demonstrate that dQ/dt = ∂H/∂P = 0, which implies that Q is a constant of motion and does not change with time.

4. Why is it important to identify cyclic variables in the Hamiltonian function?

Identifying cyclic variables in the Hamiltonian function is important because they correspond to conserved quantities in the system. This allows us to simplify the equations of motion and gain insights into the dynamics of the system.

5. Can you provide an example of how to show that a variable Q is cyclic in the Hamiltonian function?

For example, consider a simple harmonic oscillator with Hamiltonian H = (1/2)P^2 + (1/2)Q^2. By calculating ∂H/∂P, we see that it is equal to 0, indicating that the variable Q is cyclic in this Hamiltonian function.