Derive position on paper using sound waves?

In summary, using a piece of paper as a keyboard would require some type of sensor technology, such as capacitive sensing or image recognition, to detect the position of the finger and map it to a key. Calculating the position using sine waves is not a feasible option.
deztox
After watching the video below, I came up with the idea of using a piece of paper as a keyboard much like Mistry did for a mouse. I am only in high school, but I'm sure you can measure position via sine waves which relates to the sin trig function (the reason I posted here; if wrong thread, mods please relocate me) as I saw a mini-lecture about radar guns using Doppler/phase shift to calculate speed. My question is how do I do the calculations? Further (video) lecture material would be nice.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsense_technology.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a piece of paper as a keyboard is an interesting concept but it won't be easy to implement. You will need to use some type of sensor technology that can detect the position of your finger and map it to a key on the piece of paper. One way to go about this is to use capacitive sensing. Capacitive sensors work by detecting changes in electric field when an object is brought into contact with them. By placing these sensors on the paper, you can detect the position of the finger and map it to a key. Another option is to use a camera and some image recognition algorithms. This would involve placing a camera above the paper and tracking the position of the finger as it moves across the paper. This can then be used to detect the position of the finger and map it to a key on the paper. Unfortunately, calculating the position of the finger using sine waves is not a practical solution. It's possible to use Doppler and phase shift principles to measure speed, but it's not suitable for measuring position.

Related to Derive position on paper using sound waves?

1. How does sound waves help in deriving position on paper?

Sound waves can be used to determine the position of an object on paper by measuring the time it takes for the sound waves to travel from a source to the object and back to a receiver. This information can then be used to calculate the distance between the object and the source, allowing for the determination of its position on the paper.

2. What equipment is needed to derive position on paper using sound waves?

To derive position on paper using sound waves, you will need a sound source, such as a speaker or microphone, a receiver, such as a microphone or sensor, and a device capable of measuring the time it takes for the sound waves to travel between the source and receiver, such as a computer or oscilloscope.

3. Can sound waves be used to determine the position of multiple objects on paper?

Yes, sound waves can be used to determine the position of multiple objects on paper by using multiple sources and receivers. By measuring the time it takes for the sound waves to travel between each source and receiver, the distances between each object and the sources can be calculated, allowing for the determination of their positions on the paper.

4. Are there any limitations to using sound waves to derive position on paper?

One limitation of using sound waves to derive position on paper is that it requires a clear path between the source and receiver. If there are obstacles or interference in the path, it can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements may also be affected by external factors, such as temperature and humidity.

5. What are some real-world applications of deriving position on paper using sound waves?

Deriving position on paper using sound waves has various real-world applications, including in surveying and mapping, locating objects in a room or building, and in navigation systems, such as sonar and radar. It can also be used in industrial applications, such as measuring the thickness of materials and detecting flaws in structures.