Deriving the doppler shift equation for sound

In summary, the Doppler effect for sound and light is affected by the motion of the source and observer, with the wavelength and speed relative to the observer remaining constant in certain scenarios. However, both the observed frequency and wavelength may change depending on the movement of the source and observer. The equations for the Doppler shift for sound and light are different due to the fact that all observers measure the speed of light to be the same, but may measure different speeds for sound. This discrepancy may also be influenced by whether the observer or source is moving in relation to the other.
21joanna12
I am looking at derivations of the Doppler effect for sound and light, and I am very confused about what stays the same when it comes to sound.

In this video, at 5:10, it is said that the wavelength will be the same.

I'm not sure I agree with this because I'm pretty sure both the observed frequency and observed wavelength change, but on the other hand perhaps the wavelength would stay the same and it would be the observed frequency and velocity that would change, because I know that the Doppler shift equations for light and sound are different, and perhaps that is because all observers measure the speed of light to be the same but they measure different speeds for sound?

Then in this video, the equations on the board suggest that the speed of sound will be absorbed to be the same.

Could this discrepancy also have something to do with the fact that the first deals with a moving observer and the second deals with a moving source?

Thank you in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wavelength stays the same if the observer is moving, but the source does not (then the speed relative to the observer changes). If the source moves but the observer does not, the wavelength changes but the speed relative to the observer stays the same. If both move, you get both effects together.

Likes 21joanna12

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon where the frequency of a wave appears to change when the source and observer are in relative motion. This effect is observed in all types of waves, including sound waves.

2. How does the Doppler effect apply to sound?

The Doppler effect for sound occurs when the source of the sound is moving towards or away from the observer. This causes a change in the perceived frequency of the sound, resulting in a higher or lower pitch.

3. What is the equation for calculating the Doppler shift in sound?

The equation for calculating the Doppler shift in sound is: f' = f((v +/- vo)/(v +/- vs)), where f is the original frequency, f' is the perceived frequency, v is the speed of sound in the medium, vo is the velocity of the observer, and vs is the velocity of the source.

4. How is the Doppler shift equation derived for sound?

The Doppler shift equation for sound can be derived using the formula for the speed of sound in a moving medium, as well as the principle of conservation of energy. This derivation involves analyzing the change in wavelength and frequency of the sound wave as it travels from the source to the observer.

5. What are the limitations of the Doppler shift equation for sound?

The Doppler shift equation for sound assumes that the speed of sound in the medium is constant and that both the source and observer are moving in a straight line. It also does not take into account factors such as the direction of motion or the relative velocities of multiple sources and observers. Additionally, the equation is only accurate for small velocities compared to the speed of sound in the medium.