Derive the equations of motion

In summary: So in the expression ##g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi##, you can just replace ##g^{\mu \nu}## with ##\delta^\mu_\nu##, which means you can ignore the metric tensor completely.
Markus Kahn

Homework Statement

I'd like to derive the equations of motion for a system with Lagrange density
$$\mathcal{L}= \frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu\phi\partial^\mu\phi,$$
for ##\phi:\mathcal{M}\to \mathbb{R}## a real scalar field.

Homework Equations

$$\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_\mu \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\begin{align*}\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}-\partial_\mu \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}& = -\partial_\mu \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu \phi)}\\
&= - \frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)} \partial_\nu\phi\partial^\nu\phi\\
&=- \frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu \left( \partial^\nu \phi\frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi + \partial_\nu\phi \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)} \partial^\nu\phi\right)\\
&= -\frac{1}{2} \partial_\mu (\partial^\mu\phi+\partial_\mu\phi)\end{align*}$$
As far as I know I should get ##\Box \phi =0##, but for this to be true I need to show that
$$\frac{1}{2}(\partial^\mu\phi+\partial_\mu \phi)= \partial^\mu\phi$$
holds, and I honestly don't know why this should be the case.

Can somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, the meaning of ##\partial^\mu \phi## is just ##g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\nu \phi##, where ##g## is the metric tensor. So you can rewrite ##\mathcal{L}## in terms of ##\partial_\nu \phi##:

##\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\mu \phi \partial_\nu \phi##

The other thing is that in the above, ##\mu## is a dummy index. To make sure it doesn't get confused with the ##\mu## in ##\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}##, you should replace ##\mu## by some other index, say ##\lambda##:

##\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} g^{\lambda \nu} \partial_\lambda \phi \partial_\nu \phi##

Now, the only thing you need to know is: What is ##\frac{\partial (\partial_\lambda \phi)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}##? It's zero if ##\mu \neq \lambda##, and it's 1 if ##\mu = \lambda##. That can be summarized by the kronecker delta:

##\frac{\partial (\partial_\lambda \phi)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)} = \delta^\mu_\lambda##

You can similarly figure out ##\frac{\partial (\partial_\nu \phi)}{\partial (\partial_\mu \phi)}##

See if that helps.

Likes Markus Kahn
As stevendaryl indicated, be careful to distinguish equation-indices with those indices that are summed over. In the following, I put a "prime" on indices that I sum over:
## 0 = \frac{{\partial {\cal L}}}{{\partial \phi }} - {\partial _\mu }\frac{{\partial {\cal L}}}{{\partial \left( {{\partial _\mu }\phi } \right)}} = 0 - {\partial _\mu }\frac{\partial }{{\partial \left( {{\partial _\mu }\phi } \right)}}\left( {\frac{1}{2}{\partial _{\mu '}}\phi {\partial ^{\mu '}}\phi } \right) = - {\partial _\mu }\frac{1}{2}\left( {{g^\mu }_{\mu '} \cdot {\partial ^{\mu '}}\phi + {\partial _{\mu '}}\phi \cdot {g_{\mu '}}^\mu } \right) = - {\partial _\mu }\frac{1}{2}\left( {{\partial ^\mu }\phi + {\partial ^\mu }\phi } \right) = - {\partial _\mu }{\partial ^\mu }\phi ##

I believe this is what you're looking for.

Afterword: note that this demonstrates that ## {\partial _{{\partial _\mu }\phi }} ## is a contravariant vector (i.e., its action upon a scalar gives a vector with an upper index) while ## x_\mu ## (having a lower index) is an example of a covariant vector.

Likes Markus Kahn
stevendaryl said:
First of all, the meaning of ##\partial^\mu \phi## is just ##g^{\mu \nu} \partial_\nu \phi##, where ##g## is the metric tensor. So you can rewrite ##\mathcal{L}## in terms of ##\partial_\nu\phi##
This was the trick that solved my problem... Didn't think that would simplify my issue this much, so thank you for that!

bjnartowt said:
I believe this is what you're looking for.
This is exactly what I was looking for, but I must admit that I find your notation rather confusing... It's the first time for me seeing the metric tensor with both, indices and up and down at the same time. Since I'm not sure how I would evaluate this, I would need to transform it back to something I'm more used (aka ##g_{\nu}{}^\mu = g^{\rho\mu}g_{\rho\nu}##)...

Markus Kahn said:
This was the trick that solved my problem... Didn't think that would simplify my issue this much, so thank you for that!This is exactly what I was looking for, but I must admit that I find your notation rather confusing... It's the first time for me seeing the metric tensor with both, indices and up and down at the same time. Since I'm not sure how I would evaluate this, I would need to transform it back to something I'm more used (aka ##g_{\nu}{}^\mu = g^{\rho\mu}g_{\rho\nu}##)...

With one index up and one index down, the metric tensor is the same as the Kronecker delta: ##g_\nu^\mu = 0## if ##\nu \neq \mu## and ##g_\nu^\mu = 1## if ##\nu = \mu##.

What is the purpose of deriving equations of motion?

The purpose of deriving equations of motion is to mathematically describe the motion of an object. These equations allow us to predict the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time, given the initial conditions and external forces acting on the object.

What are the three main equations of motion?

The three main equations of motion are:

1. Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  2. Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  3. Acceleration equation: a = (v - v0)/t

These equations can be derived from the basic definitions of position, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the key assumptions made when deriving equations of motion?

The key assumptions made when deriving equations of motion are:

1. The object is moving in a straight line with constant acceleration.
  2. The object is not affected by air resistance or other external forces.
  3. The object's acceleration is constant throughout the motion.

What is the difference between kinematic and dynamic equations of motion?

Kinematic equations of motion describe the motion of an object without considering the forces acting on it. These equations are based on the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. Dynamic equations of motion, on the other hand, take into account the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. These equations are based on Newton's laws of motion.

How can equations of motion be applied in real-world situations?

Equations of motion can be applied in various real-world situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of a roller coaster, or calculating the speed of a car during a race. They are also used in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy to study and understand the motion of objects in the world around us.