Derive the Maxwell "with source" equation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the Maxwell "with source" equation using the tensor equation and varying the action with respect to ##A^{\mu}##. The process involves evaluating various terms and applying the divergence theorem, but the exact method is not clear. The use of the delta symbol is also mentioned, with a suggestion to reevaluate the terms and make the integrand proportional to ##\delta A^{\nu}##. The conversation also mentions considering the form of ##j^{\mu}(x)## for a single point particle.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
We need to derive the Maxwell "with source" equation, of course, using the tensor equation $$\partial F^{\mu v}/ \partial x^{v} = j^{\mu}/c$$

D is the spacetime dimension
To do this, it was said to us vary the action wrt the ##A^{\mu}##

1616792994917.png

The first term just vanish, and I want to evaluate the third term.
$$\frac{-1}{4c} \int d^{D}x (\partial_{\mu} \delta A_{v} - \partial_{v} \delta A_{\mu})(\partial^{\mu} \delta A^{v} - \partial^{v} \delta A^{\mu})$$
$$\frac{-1}{4c} \int d^{D}x 2((\partial_{\mu} \delta A_{v})(\partial^{\mu} \delta A^{v}) - (\partial_{\mu} \delta A_{v})(\partial^{v} \delta A^{\mu})$$
$$\frac{-1}{2c} \int d^{D}x (\partial_{\mu} \delta A_{v}) \delta F^{\mu v} *$$

After that equation, the things get pretty messy... My attempt was to find somewhere a way to apply the divergence theorem and get the flux, after that i would get the charge density and so the current, but i was not able to do that

OBS: in * i am considering that ##\partial \delta A = \delta \partial A##, but i am not sure 'bout that.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's fine, because you don't vary the space-time arguments ##x## in Hamilton's principle. However you wrote some ##\delta## too much. Note that ##\delta (F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu})=2 F_{\mu \nu} \delta F^{\mu \nu}=4 F_{\mu \nu} \delta \partial^{\mu} A^{\nu}## and now go on in calculating the variation such to make the integrand ##\propto \delta A^{\nu}##.

For the 2nd term, I'd write it out in explicit form. Also think about, how ##j^{\mu}(x)## looks for a single point particle!

1. What is the significance of the Maxwell "with source" equation?

The Maxwell "with source" equation, also known as the Maxwell's equations with sources, is a set of four partial differential equations that describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. These equations are crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and they have been instrumental in the development of modern technology.

2. How did Maxwell derive these equations?

James Clerk Maxwell derived these equations in the 1860s by combining and extending the work of other scientists, including the laws of electricity and magnetism proposed by Michael Faraday and the mathematical equations of electromagnetism developed by André-Marie Ampère and Carl Friedrich Gauss.

3. Can you explain the individual components of the Maxwell "with source" equation?

The four equations in the Maxwell "with source" equation are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampère's law. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, the behavior of charges and currents, and the effects of changing electric and magnetic fields on each other.

4. How are the Maxwell "with source" equations used in practical applications?

The Maxwell "with source" equations have been used to develop many important technologies, including radio, television, and telecommunications. They are also used in the design of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones, and in the study of natural phenomena, such as lightning and the aurora borealis.

5. Are the Maxwell "with source" equations still relevant today?

Yes, the Maxwell "with source" equations are still considered the cornerstone of classical electromagnetism and are used extensively in modern physics and engineering. They have also been extended and refined to incorporate new discoveries in the field, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.