Deriving Acceleration in Gravity from E = mc^2

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of acceleration for a stationary mass in a gravity field using standard math and the equation for total energy in the GR. However, it is pointed out that the equation is only valid for a body traveling on a geodesic, and a stationary object would not be following a geodesic worldline. The correct way to derive the acceleration is to calculate the four-acceleration of a hovering observer and take the modulus. The conversation ends with the suggestion to accept the answers given and close the thread.
boniphacy
TL;DR Summary
accel on a quasar
I want to derive an acceleration in the case for a stationary mass in the gravity field.

I found the total energy in the GR is provided by a simple equation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics

## E = mc^2\sqrt{1 - rs/r} * \gamma ##

So, this is easy to provide acceleration for that energy definition, using standard math alone: the gradient.

## g(r) = -GM/r^2 \frac{1}{1 - rs/r} ##

And this should be correct (for a stationary body: v = 0).

I have seen many complicated solutions for this problem, and inconsistent with this result.
What is a problem with this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
boniphacy said:
I want to derive the acceleration in the case for stationary mass in the gravity.
Such a body will not be traveling on a geodesic. But your derivation uses an equation which is only valid for a body that is traveling on a geodesic.

boniphacy said:
What is a problem with this?
See above.

Do You suggest: the standard math is wrong?

boniphacy said:
No - you are misapplying it. ##dt/d\tau## isn't ##\gamma## in general, so your expression is wrong to start with. And an object sat on a solid surface isn't following a geodesic, either, so looking at geodesics won't be an awful lot of help.

The correct way to derive it is to calculate the four-acceleration, ##A^i=U^j\nabla_j U^i##, of the worldline of a hovering observer (one at constant Schwarzschild spatial coordinates) and take the modulus, ##\sqrt{g_{ij}A^iA^j}##.

Last edited:
boniphacy said:
using standard math: gradient
By which you mean "take the derivative with respect to ##r##", which, in a curved spacetime, is not the same as a gradient (you would need to take a covariant derivative, not a partial derivative).

boniphacy said:
No, just that (a) the "standard math" you claim to be using is irrelevant to the question you are trying to answer, and (b) you are doing the "standard math" that you claim to be using incorrectly.

Irrelevant: I can take derivative wrt time t.
dE/dt = 0.

The result is still the same.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy and Dale
boniphacy said:
Irrelevant: I can take derivative wrt time t.
dE/dt = 0.

The result is still the same.
You already know you have the wrong answer. Yet when we tell you what you're doing wrong, you describe it as irrelevant and come up with another incorrect idea. Do you think you're going to get anywhere with this strategy?

Likes Dale
boniphacy said:
I can take derivative wrt time t.
dE/dt = 0.
This says that the energy at infinity of an object following a geodesic worldline is a constant of the motion. Which is (a) a well-known fact which you don't have to explain to anyone here, and (b) irrelevant to the question you are trying to answer, since, as has already been pointed out to you, a stationary object in this spacetime is not following a geodesic worldline.

Your OP question has been answered, both explaining why your claimed answer is wrong and indicating how to get the correct answer. Whether you want to accept those answers or not is (a) your call, and (b) not something it is worth keeping this thread open to find out.

Thread closed.

1. How is acceleration derived from E = mc^2?

Acceleration can be derived from E = mc^2 by using the formula a = F/m, where F represents the force of gravity and m represents the mass of an object. Substituting E/c^2 for F, we get a = E/mc^2. This shows that the acceleration of an object in gravity is directly proportional to its energy and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. Can E = mc^2 be used to calculate acceleration in all types of gravity?

Yes, E = mc^2 can be used to calculate acceleration in all types of gravity, as long as the force of gravity and the mass of the object are known. This formula is a fundamental principle of physics and applies to all types of gravity, including Earth's gravity, the gravity of other planets, and even the gravity of black holes.

3. Is the acceleration derived from E = mc^2 constant?

No, the acceleration derived from E = mc^2 is not constant. It varies depending on the strength of the force of gravity and the mass of the object. For example, an object on Earth's surface will experience a different acceleration than the same object on the surface of the moon, due to the differences in gravity between the two bodies.

4. How does the speed of light factor into the derivation of acceleration from E = mc^2?

The speed of light, represented by c in the formula, is a constant that plays a crucial role in the derivation of acceleration from E = mc^2. It is the maximum speed at which any object can travel and is a fundamental constant in the universe. Without it, the formula would not work to accurately calculate acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to using E = mc^2 to derive acceleration in gravity?

There are a few limitations to using E = mc^2 to derive acceleration in gravity. One limitation is that it assumes a constant force of gravity, which may not be the case in all situations. Additionally, the formula does not take into account other factors that may affect acceleration, such as air resistance or the shape of the object. It is also important to note that E = mc^2 is a simplified version of the full equation, and may not be as accurate for more complex calculations.