Deriving Equations of Motion in GR

In summary, the conversation is discussing the Eddington-Robertson-Schiff line element and the associated equations of motion that can be obtained from the least action principle. The problem at hand is that the equations of motion cannot be obtained using the Euler-Lagrange equations, and the participants are discussing different possible Lagrangians and the concept of affine parametrization in relation to finding geodesics.
Matter_Matters
Question Background:
I'm considering the Eddington-Robertson-Schiff line element which is given by
[tex] (ds)^2 = \left( 1 - 2 \left(\frac{\mu}{r}\right) + 2 \left(\frac{\mu^2}{r^2}\right) \right) dt^2 - \left( 1 + 2 \left( \frac{\mu}{r} \right) \right) (dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 \sin^2{\theta} \;d\phi^2 ),[/tex]
where [itex]\mu = GM = \text{const.}[/itex] and [itex] r=|\mathbf{r}|.[/itex]
I'm interested in determining the equations of motion for such a line element which can be obtained from the least action principle. The classical action [itex]S[/itex] is the integral along the particle trajectory
[tex] S = \int ds, [/tex]
which can be equivalently expressed as
[tex] S = \int \left( \frac{ds}{dt} \right) dt \equiv \int L \; dt. [/tex]
We can see from the above that
[tex] L = \left[ \left( 1 - 2 \left(\frac{\mu}{r}\right) + 2 \left(\frac{\mu^2}{r^2}\right) \right) - \left( 1 + 2 \left( \frac{\mu}{r} \right) \right) (\mathbf{\dot{r}} \cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}}) \right]^{1/2}, [/tex]
where [itex]L[/itex] is the associated Lagrangian over time.
Problem and question
The associated equations of motion are given by (Eq. 20)
[tex]\frac{d^2\mathbf{r}}{dt^2} = \frac{\mu}{r^3} \left[ \left(4 \frac{\mu}{r} - v^2 \right) \mathbf{r} + 4 (\mathbf{r}\cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}} ) \mathbf{\dot{r}}\right]. [/tex]
I cannot for the life of me obtain this using the Euler-Lagrange equations.
Attempt at a solution:
The Euler-Lagrange equations are given by
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \mathbf{\dot{r}}} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{ \partial \mathbf{r}} =0. [/tex]
I note that the equations of motion should be equivalent for either
[tex] L = \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^{\mu}\dot{x}^\mu}, [/tex]
or
[tex] L = g_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^{\mu}\dot{x}^\mu. [/tex]
Bearing this in mind and working through the process using
[tex] L = \left[ \left( 1 - 2 \left(\frac{\mu}{r}\right) + 2 \left(\frac{\mu^2}{r^2}\right) \right) - \left( 1 + 2 \left( \frac{\mu}{r} \right) \right) (\mathbf{\dot{r}} \cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}}) \right], [/tex]
I find
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{ \partial \mathbf{\dot{r}}} \right) = -2 \left[ \left( 1 + 2 \frac{\mu}{r} \mathbf{\ddot{r}} \right) - 2 \frac{\mu}{r^3} (\mathbf{r}\cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}}) \mathbf{\dot{r}} \right], [/tex]
and
[tex] \left( \frac{\partial L }{\partial \mathbf{r}} \right) = 2\frac{\mu}{r^3} \mathbf{r} - 4 \frac{\mu^2}{r^4} \mathbf{r} + 2 \frac{\mu}{r^3} \mathbf{r} (\mathbf{\dot{r}} \cdot \mathbf{\dot{r}} ). [/tex]
Clearly, adding these together does not give the desired result. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter_Matters said:
I note that the equations of motion should be equivalent for either
L=√gμν˙xμ˙xμ,L=gμνx˙μx˙μ,​
L = \sqrt{g_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^{\mu}\dot{x}^\mu},
or
L=gμν˙xμ˙xμ.L=gμνx˙μx˙μ.​
L = g_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^{\mu}\dot{x}^\mu.
This is only true if the geodesic is parametrised by an affine parameter. The coordinate ##t## is in general not affine.

Likes Matter_Matters
Orodruin said:
This is only true if the geodesic is parametrised by an affine parameter. The coordinate ##t## is in general not affine.
O wow! If this was the issue the whole time I will be very pleased but also annoyed at my ignorance!

Orodruin said:
Hmmm I am confused now! So, normally in GR we can set the Lagrangian = ##\pm c## depending on the signature of the line element. Is this only true when the geodesic is parametrised by an affine parameter also? Even using the ## L = \sqrt{ }##, I can't seem to manage to get the correct expression!

Matter_Matters said:
So, normally in GR we can set the Lagrangian = ±c depending on the signature of the line element. Is this only true when the geodesic is parametrised by an affine parameter also?
In general, it will just give you a requirement that gives an affine parametrisation (constant length tangent vector). It tells you nothing about whether or not you found a geodesic.

1. What is the general process for deriving equations of motion in General Relativity (GR)?

The general process for deriving equations of motion in GR involves using the principles of curved spacetime and the Einstein field equations to determine the trajectory of a particle or object in a given gravitational field. This typically involves solving for the geodesic equation, which describes the path of a free-falling object in curved spacetime.

2. How does GR differ from Newtonian mechanics in terms of deriving equations of motion?

GR differs from Newtonian mechanics in that it takes into account the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, rather than assuming a flat and static spacetime as in Newtonian mechanics. This leads to a more complex and non-linear set of equations for determining the motion of objects in a gravitational field.

3. What are some key assumptions made when deriving equations of motion in GR?

Some key assumptions made when deriving equations of motion in GR include the equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration, and the principle of covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all reference frames.

4. How does the presence of matter and energy affect the equations of motion in GR?

The presence of matter and energy affects the equations of motion in GR through the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. This means that the motion of objects is influenced not only by the gravitational field, but also by the distribution of matter and energy in that field.

5. Can the equations of motion in GR be applied to all types of objects and scenarios?

Yes, the equations of motion in GR can be applied to all types of objects and scenarios, from massive bodies like planets and stars to subatomic particles. However, for extremely strong gravitational fields, such as those near a black hole, the equations may need to be modified to account for the effects of extreme curvature. Additionally, the equations may become more complex for systems with multiple interacting bodies.