Deriving Geodesic Equation from Lagrangian

In summary: Of course, it is just the derivation of the geodesic equations, I am not arguing that. Just saying that it may be confusing to the OP to start talking about proper time for a classical mechanics problem (g is specified to be positive definite in the OP and it explicitly talks about a particle constrained to a manifold).
acegikmoqsuwy
Hi,

If I have a massive particle constrained to the surface of a Riemannian manifold (the metric tensor is positive definite) with kinetic energy $$T=\dfrac 12mg_{\mu\nu} \dfrac{\text dx^{\mu}}{\text dt} \dfrac{\text dx^{\nu}}{\text dt}$$ then I believe I should be able to derive the geodesic equations for this manifold by applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to the Lagrangian $$L:=g_{\mu \nu}\dfrac{\text dx^{\mu}}{\text dt} \dfrac{\text dx^{\nu}}{\text dt}.$$ However, when I go to do this, here's what I find: $$\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial x^{\sigma}} = \dfrac{\partial g_{\mu\nu}}{\partial x^{\sigma}} \dfrac{\text dx^{\mu}}{\text dt}\dfrac{\text dx^{\nu}}{\text dt}.$$ Moreover, $$\dfrac{\text d}{\text dt}\left(\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial (\text dx^{\sigma}/\text dt)}\right)=\dfrac{\text d}{\text dt}\left(2g_{\sigma\mu} \dfrac{\text dx^{\mu}}{\text dt}\right)=2g_{\sigma\mu} \dfrac{\text d^2x^{\mu}}{\text dt^2}.$$ Setting these expressions equal and multiplying by the inverse metric, I obtain $$\dfrac{\text d^2x^{\tau}}{\text dt^2} - \dfrac 12 g^{\tau\sigma}\dfrac{\partial g_{\mu\nu}}{\partial x^{\sigma}} \dfrac{\text dx^{\mu}}{\text dt} \dfrac{\text dx^{\nu}}{\text dt} = 0.$$ This looks similar to the geodesic equation, but something is off about the "Christoffel Symbols" of this equation.

What's wrong with my derivation? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using ##t## for proper time, not coordinate time, right?

If you take the derivative of ##2g_{\sigma \mu} \frac{dx^\mu}{dt}## you get ##2 \frac{d g_{\sigma \mu}}{dt} \frac{dx^\mu}{dt} + 2 g_{\sigma \mu} \frac{d^2 x^\mu}{dt^2}##. I know that ##g_{\sigma \mu}## is not explicitly a function of ##t##, but it is a function of ##x^\lambda##. You use the chain rule (or whatever it's called):

##\frac{d g_{\sigma \mu}}{dt} = \frac{\partial g_{\sigma \mu}}{\partial x^\lambda} \frac{dx^\lambda}{dt}##

Likes acegikmoqsuwy
Why is this in the relativity forum? It is purely classical mechanics.

stevendaryl said:
You're using ##t## for proper time, not coordinate time, right?

It is a massive particle constrained to move freely on a manifold. Think spherical pendulum with g being the metric on the sphere. It has nothing to do with proper time.

Yes, this is purely classical mechanics. I posted in here because I was going to have some follow up questions regarding relativity, but I've resolved them now. Thanks.

acegikmoqsuwy said:
Yes, this is purely classical mechanics. I posted in here because I was going to have some follow up questions regarding relativity, but I've resolved them now. Thanks.
I would suggest you do not do things this way. You managed to confuse one poster (who anyway was able to help you, but it could have been worse). Instead, I suggest you post questions where they belong and if you have follow-ups or spin-offs more suited for a different part of the forum they can be posted in a new thread.

Orodruin said:
Thanks. Moved.

Orodruin said:
It is a massive particle constrained to move freely on a manifold. Think spherical pendulum with g being the metric on the sphere. It has nothing to do with proper time.

Well, without specifying what the metric is, it works just as well for classical or relativistic physics.

stevendaryl said:
Well, without specifying what the metric is, it works just as well for classical or relativistic physics.
Of course, it is just the derivation of the geodesic equations, I am not arguing that. Just saying that it may be confusing to the OP to start talking about proper time for a classical mechanics problem (g is specified to be positive definite in the OP and it explicitly talks about a particle constrained to a manifold).

1. What is the purpose of deriving the geodesic equation from the Lagrangian?

The geodesic equation is used to describe the path of a free particle in a given space. Deriving it from the Lagrangian allows us to understand the underlying physical principles and mathematical relationships that govern this path.

2. How is the geodesic equation related to the concept of shortest distance?

The geodesic equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that a free particle will follow the path that minimizes the action (or energy) required to travel from one point to another. This path is equivalent to the shortest distance between the two points, making the geodesic equation a fundamental tool in understanding shortest distance in a given space.

3. What is the mathematical representation of the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation can be written as a set of second-order differential equations, where the acceleration of a particle is equal to the sum of the Christoffel symbols (representing the curvature of the space) and the four-momentum of the particle.

4. How does the Lagrangian approach differ from other methods of deriving the geodesic equation?

The Lagrangian approach is a variational method, meaning it involves finding the path that minimizes a certain mathematical quantity. Other methods, such as the Hamiltonian approach, use different mathematical techniques to derive the geodesic equation.

5. What are some practical applications of the geodesic equation?

The geodesic equation has numerous applications in physics, including in the fields of general relativity, cosmology, and orbital mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate the motion of objects in three-dimensional space.