Deriving Kinematics Equations from First Principles

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of calculus to derive equations for 2D motion instead of memorizing them. The person was attempting to derive an equation for Vy from y, but found a discrepancy. Another person suggests using calculus, which leads to the correct equation for Vy. They also mention that this method can be applied to other equations of motion and it all comes back to calculus.
jackrc11

Homework Statement

For an upcoming test on 2D Motion, my Physics Teacher recommended that, instead of memorizing close to a dozen equations, he suggested we derive what we can from the main equations he showed us. So people in my class decided to split up deriving equations to bring them together later for everyone to use. I was told to use these two:
y = (Vosin(theta))t - 1/2gt^2
Vy = Vosin(theta) - gt

So I was attempting to derive Vy from y, but found an issue.

Homework Equations

y = (Vosin(theta))t - 1/2gt^2
Vy = (Vosin(theta)) - gt
V = d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

To derive Vy, I simply did ((Vosin(theta))t - 1/2gt^2)) / t. This gave me (Vosin(theta)) - 1/2gt. This differs from the given equation for Vy, so I'm curious what I have to do to cancel out the 1/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know any calculus? That's the way to derive the equations.

axmls said:
Do you know any calculus? That's the way to derive the equations.

Yes, I am in calculus this year! I didn't even think to find d/dt. This makes things a lot easier, thanks!

Using calculus, just to be sure I'm right, you can find

y' = Vy
Vy = 1 * (Vosin(theta)) - 1/2gt * 2, giving
Vy = (Vosin(theta)) - gt

That works out really well! Can that apply to a lot of other equations of motion (in Kinematics) as well?

jackrc11 said:
Can that apply to a lot of other equations of motion (in Kinematics) as well?

That's where kinematics equations come from!

It all comes from the fact that [itex]a = \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}[/itex] and the assumption that [itex]a[/itex] is constant.

If you've learned about antidifferentiation (essentially the opposite of differentiation), then you can derive your equations from that equation alone. Since [itex]a = \frac{d v}{dt}[/itex], [itex]v = \int a \ dt = v_0 + a t[/itex]. And since [itex]v = \frac{d x}{dt}[/itex], [itex]x = \int v \ dt = x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex]. If you haven't learned about antidifferentiation, you can at least confirm that you can work backwards from those by taking derivatives to get back to [itex]\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = a[/itex].

The equation that is not time-dependent is a bit trickier to derive, but that's essentially how the "usual" kinematics equations are derived. It all comes back to calculus--the mathematics of change.

Likes jackrc11

Related to Deriving Kinematics Equations from First Principles

What is the definition of 2D motion?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two-dimensional space, where it can move in both the horizontal and vertical directions. This type of motion is often described using a coordinate system, with x and y axes representing the horizontal and vertical dimensions respectively.

What is the process of deriving 2D motion equations?

The process of deriving 2D motion equations involves using the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. This analysis can then be used to create mathematical equations that describe the object's position, velocity, and acceleration in two-dimensional space.

What are the main variables in 2D motion equations?

The main variables in 2D motion equations are time (t), displacement (d), velocity (v), and acceleration (a). These variables can be represented using both scalar and vector quantities, where scalar quantities have only magnitude and vector quantities have both magnitude and direction.

How are 2D motion equations useful?

2D motion equations are useful for predicting the motion of objects in real-world scenarios. They can be used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time, which is valuable information for many fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

What are some common applications of 2D motion equations?

2D motion equations are used in a variety of applications, including projectile motion (such as the motion of a ball being thrown), circular motion (such as the motion of planets around the sun), and motion in a Cartesian coordinate system (such as the motion of a car on a track). They are also used in computer graphics and animation to simulate realistic movement of objects.