Deriving Mechanics Equations for the Moon

In summary, we discussed the equations for the orbital radius of a moon orbiting a planet in an elliptical orbit. The equations for the closest and farthest distance from the planet were r=a(1-e) and r=a(1+e), respectively. We then used the angular momentum equation to derive the ratio of the moon's speed at periapse and apoapse, which is vp/va=(1+e) / (1-e). Finally, we looked at the equation for the total energy of the moon at periapse and apoapse, which is E=(-2GMm + mv(1-e)) / (2a(1-e)). This was used to derive the equation v2=(GM / a)[(1
Dime
Alright, so I have a few questions.
a) Consider a moon of mass m orbiting a planet of mass M in an elliptical orbit. The equation for the radius of an elliptical orbit is r=a(1-e2) / (1+ecos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]). Derive equations for the orbital radius of the moon when it closest to and farthest from the planet.
My answer turns out to be periapse: r=a(1-e)
and for apoapse: r=a(1+e) a is the semi major axis of the ellipse and e is the eccentricity

b) Combing your result from a with angular momentum (L=mvr), derive an equations for the ratio of the moon's speed at periapse and apoapse in terms of eccentricty, that is vp/va.
I ended up getting vp/va=(1+e) / (1-e)​

c) Write down the equation which equates the total energy of the moon at apoapse with its total energy at periapse using the equation Ep=-GMm / r
I am getting confused with this one. So the total energy would be the gravitational potential energy plus the kinetic energy right? So for the energy at periapse would look like
E=(-GMm / r) + 1/2mv2
the velocity being the one derived earlier.
then using the equations derived in the first couple parts I end up getting
E=(-2GMm + mv(1-e)) / (2a(1-e)​
And somehow I think that is wrong. The next part asks me to show that at periapse
v2=(GM / a)[(1+e)/(1-e)]​
but I may be over complicating things for part c and trying to solve d at the same time I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas if I made a mistake earlier or if they can offer some advice in solving it?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I figured it out

I would approach this problem by first reviewing the equations and understanding the variables and their meanings. The equation for the radius of an elliptical orbit is r=a(1-e2) / (1+ecos\vartheta), where a is the semi-major axis and e is the eccentricity of the orbit. This equation can be derived from Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

To derive equations for the orbital radius of the moon at periapse and apoapse, we can use the fact that at these points, the velocity of the moon is perpendicular to the radius vector. This means that the angular momentum (L=mvr) is constant at these points. So, we can equate the angular momentum at periapse and apoapse to get:

mvp(1-e)=mva(1+e)

Solving for vp and va, we get:

vp=va(1+e) / (1-e)

This is the ratio of the moon's speed at periapse and apoapse, and it is dependent on the eccentricity of the orbit.

Moving on to the third part, we need to equate the total energy of the moon at periapse and apoapse. The total energy includes both kinetic and potential energy, so we can write:

Ep=Ek+Ep

At periapse, the kinetic energy is zero since the moon is at its closest point to the planet and has no velocity. So, we can write:

Ep(periapse)=-GMm / r(periapse)

Using the equation for the radius at periapse (r=a(1-e)), we get:

Ep(periapse)=-GMm / a(1-e)

Similarly, at apoapse, the potential energy is zero and the kinetic energy is at its maximum. So, we can write:

Ep(apoapse)=Ek(apoapse)=1/2mva2

Using the equation for the radius at apoapse (r=a(1+e)), we get:

Ep(apoapse)=-GMm / a(1+e)

Setting these two equations equal to each other, we get:

-GMm / a(1-e) = 1/2mva2

Solving for a, we get:

a=GM / 2va2

Substituting this value of a into the equations for the radius at periapse and apoapse, we get:

r(periapse)=GM / 2

Related to Deriving Mechanics Equations for the Moon

1. How is the acceleration of the moon calculated?

The acceleration of the moon can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force on the moon is the gravitational force between the moon and the Earth, and its mass can be determined using its gravitational pull on objects on Earth.

2. What is the equation for the period of the moon's orbit?

The period of the moon's orbit around the Earth can be determined using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. The equation for the period is T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the Earth.

3. How is the moon's velocity calculated?

The moon's velocity can be calculated using the equation v=√(GM(2/r-1/a)), where v is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, r is the distance between the moon and Earth, and a is the semi-major axis of the moon's orbit.

4. How does the moon's distance from Earth affect its acceleration?

The moon's distance from Earth does not directly affect its acceleration, as it is determined by the gravitational force between the two bodies. However, the moon's distance does impact its orbital velocity, which in turn affects its acceleration. As the moon moves further away from Earth, its orbital velocity decreases, resulting in a lower acceleration towards the Earth.

5. Can the equations for the moon's motion be applied to other celestial bodies?

Yes, the equations for the moon's motion can be applied to other celestial bodies, as they are based on fundamental laws of physics such as Newton's second law and Kepler's laws. However, the values used for the mass and distance of the celestial bodies would need to be adjusted accordingly.