Deriving Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius for Rotating Bodies

In summary: Sorry, can somebody else please elaborate on this?Unless I'm missing something, that just uses the result I am looking for a derivation of. I can't think of any reason why a spinning object would have a minimum radius in a fully relativistic non-quantum theory other than the speed limit.
michael879
Can someone either derive or point me to a derivation of Møller's formula for the relativistic minimum radius of a rotating body? I've been searching for about an hour and it's driving me crazy!

The only "minimum radius" equation I've seen imposes the speed limit c on a classical rotating body (v = L/mR < c). This is only semi-relativistic since it takes L=r x p and p=mv. The two results are identical, but from the references I can find Møller's formula is supposedly fully relativistic...

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone? I wouldve expected this to be a quick answer.. To bad I posted this seconds before they shut the site down for migration >.<

Try:
C. Moller, Commun. Dublin Inst. Adv. Stud., A5, 1 (1949).
C. Moller, ”The Theory of Relativity”, 2nd ed. (Oxford University Press, 1972), p. 176.

The second (textbook) reference will probably be easier to find. The secondary source for these references was http://www.phys.lsu.edu/faculty/oconnell/PDFfiles/311. Rotation and Spin in Physics.pdf in the section quoted below.
This is also connected to the fact that, as Moller has shown [12, 13], a spinning body has a minimum radius equal to ...

Thanks pervect, I did come across Moller's stuff but I don't have access through my school (they're too old). I'll check out that second source tho

>.< yea your source is just like all the ones I found! They reference Moller's work but only show the conclusion...

michael879 said:
Thanks, but I'd really rather not buy an entire textbook for the answer to this one question!
Sorry, let me clarify that a little:

I already have plenty of textbooks on relativity, so buying a new one just for this question seems ridiculous. If there really is no accessible derivation can somebody who has the textbook just sketch the argument out for me?

Related to Deriving Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius for Rotating Bodies

1. What is Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius for Rotating Bodies?

Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius for Rotating Bodies is a mathematical formula that calculates the minimum radius of a rotating body in order to avoid it collapsing into a black hole. It takes into account the mass, angular velocity, and speed of light to determine the minimum radius.

2. How is Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius different from the classical formula for minimum radius?

Møller's formula takes into account the effects of special relativity, specifically time dilation and length contraction, on the minimum radius of a rotating body. The classical formula does not consider these effects and assumes a uniform distribution of mass within the body.

3. What types of rotating bodies does Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius apply to?

Møller's formula applies to any rotating body, including stars, planets, and even galaxies. It is especially useful for objects with high rotational speeds and large masses.

4. How is Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius derived?

Møller's formula is derived using the theory of general relativity and the Schwarzschild solution, which describes the curvature of spacetime around a spherical mass. By considering the effects of rotation and applying the principle of equivalence, the formula for minimum radius can be obtained.

5. What are the practical applications of Møller's Relativistic Minimum Radius?

One practical application of Møller's formula is in astrophysics, where it can be used to determine the maximum possible mass and size of a neutron star before it collapses into a black hole. It can also be used in engineering to design stable rotating structures, such as space stations or turbines, that can withstand high rotational speeds.