Deriving Pith Ball Mass from Coulomb's Law: A Scientific Exploration

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the mass of pith balls in a physics equation involving charge, distance, and height. The participants express uncertainty about whether the mass is necessary to solve the problem and discuss potential solutions and ways to approach the problem. It is concluded that knowing the mass is essential and that there may not be enough information given to derive the mass.
kashika1212
Homework Statement
One pith ball is mounted on an insulating stick and the other is hung on a string from the ceiling. The two balls are brought together such that they are barely touching, the initial tension is only vertical. Upon introducing a charged object to the stationary pith ball, charge is equally distributed to both of the balls. The hanging ball swings out from the mounted ball and eventually comes to rest. Your task is to determine the magnitude of charge on the balls given the following measurements:
-A pith ball has a diameter of 40mm
-The hanging ball is hung from the ceiling with a 147.3cm long string. Note: this measurement is to the top of the pith ball, not to the ball's center.
-After charging, the two pith balls have a center-center displacement of 6.40cm
Relevant Equations
##F_{c} = \frac{\left ( k\left ( q_{1} \right )\left ( q_{2} \right ) \right )}{r^{2}}##
##F_{g} = m*g##
I actually found most of it out I'm just struggling with how to find the mass of the balls. I'm not sure how you would do that since could only derive two equations from the information given or are we assuming the mass is so small that it doesn't matter?

Q = charge of one pith ball
d = distance between the COM of the two balls
L = length of the string plus the radius of the ball
h = change in height after the swing (though I suppose this is probably negligible)
m = mass of pith ball

##\frac{F_{c}}{F_{g}} = \frac{d}{2} * \frac{1}{L-h}##
## F_{c} = \frac{d}{2} * \frac{1}{L-h} * F_{g}##
##\frac{d*m*g}{2(L-h))} = \frac{k*Q^{2}}{d^{2}}##
√##\frac{d^{3} * m * g}{2(L-h) * k)}## = Q

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think that it could be solvable without knowing the mass?

I tried going about solving it without having mass in my equations but I always ended up having to find it to get Q. If there is a way to solve it without knowing the mass than I've never been taught it. If you do know a way to do it without mass could you provide some hints/guidance?

kashika1212 said:
I tried going about solving it without having mass in my equations but I always ended up having to find it to get Q. If there is a way to solve it without knowing the mass than I've never been taught it. If you do know a way to do it without mass could you provide some hints/guidance?
Seems to me you don't even need to try to solve it. It should be evident that the greater the mass (for a given charge) the less the angle, so knowing the mass is essential.

But you could go ahead and find the charge to mass ratio for the pith ball. That will teach you the physics. You should also feel good that you knew something was missing. Perhaps you can look up the density of pith since you know the ball size.

hutchphd said:
find the charge to mass ratio for the pith ball
Not quite. That could be done if the stationary ball had a known fixed charge, but here they both have charge Q, meaning m will be proportional to Q2, as in the equation obtained.

Likes hutchphd
Thank you all so much, I thought I was going crazy cause I couldn't figure out how to do it without mass. So is there no way to derive the mass either since density of the pith ball is not known, meaning the problem did not give enough information?

That would be my assessment, too. Whether we are all crazy is a different matter...

Likes kashika1212

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What are pith balls?

Pith balls are small, lightweight spheres made of a plant material called pith. They are commonly used in electrostatic experiments as they are good insulators and can easily be charged by rubbing them with a cloth.

3. How are pith balls used in Coulomb's Law experiments?

In Coulomb's Law experiments, pith balls are used to demonstrate the force between two charged particles. They are suspended from a string and brought near a charged object. The pith balls will either repel or attract each other, depending on the charges of the objects.

4. What is the significance of using pith balls in Coulomb's Law experiments?

Pith balls are used in Coulomb's Law experiments because they have a small mass and are easily charged. This allows for accurate measurements of the force between charged particles. Additionally, the light weight of pith balls minimizes the effects of gravity on the experiment.

5. How is Coulomb's Law with pith balls related to other laws of physics?

Coulomb's Law with pith balls is related to other laws of physics, such as Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation and the Inverse Square Law. These laws also describe the force between two objects and are inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. However, Coulomb's Law deals specifically with electrostatic forces between charged particles.